PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Red face Abaddon and Eyes. Why? (Potential Spoilers)

Hey guys. New poster here, of course, of course!

Anyway, I tried running a search beforehand, but nothing really I read delved into the subject. I hope you guys don't mind me posting a new topic!

In May, I got Nightfall for my birthday, and have been addicted ever since. One thing that fascinated me--but never truly understood--was the multiple references of Abaddon and eyes. From characters repeating, "Abaddon will eat your eyes!"; to the dead miners in the First City with purple haze coming out of their empty sockets; to Varesh and her demons that enjoy them; to Kormir becoming blinded (can we assume they have been eaten?), they all tie back to the theme of Abaddon and the destruction of people's eyes.

What do you guys think this means symbolically, etc., and how it ties into the story and lore of Guild Wars? I'm four missions from beating the game, so who knows? Maybe it tells you. I don't really mind if you spoil anything or anything, because sadly enough, I accidentally already read the ending before. >< Anyway, I'm just curious to y'alls thoughts and interpretations! Thanks!

The whole Eye motif most likely comes from the fact he is the god of Secrets/Knowledge, he sees all.

Dwayna - wings - air
    Grenth - Skull - death
    Balthazar - armor/weapon - war
    Lyssa - mask - Illusion
    Melandru - leaves/plants - nature
    Abbadon - eyes - secrets/Knowledge

I'd say it's purely symbolic.

Kormir was blinded after The Hunger sucked her eyes at the end of the Consulate Docks mission. Though The Hunger is considered a minnion of Abaddon, he's a Demon that spawned in the Realm of Torment, and is of a different Faction on his own (hence The Hunger as only a pair of Eyes).

The Eyes of Abaddon are his Coat of Arms. The Margonite Masks we often pick up as spoils are proof of that.

Prior to the final clash between Abaddon and the Five Gods, he gathered an army of warriors from the Marga Coast. He armed them with weaponry and armory that reminished severals Aspects of Abaddon. Hence the masks were used prior to the complete transformation of the Margonites. Hence all Margonites clothing and armor are heavly decayed though their masks are still plainly intact.

Abaddon is portrayed in Gandara as a tall man with several tentacles and a six eyed mask. Though in Tyria, the Abaddon's Mouth area shows image of two eyed skull-like heads, also with tentacles, and show no mask. If they are representations of Abaddon, many say they are not.

Yes, eyes are associated with Abaddon. Probably most of his cult focused on the eyes. Mainly as some sort of moto like: "Those who denny me are blind, those who follow me see the truth tripled times."

Of course Abaddon's servants that that moto to a extreme.

I'm fairly certain it's connected to Abaddon's realm of Secrets and Knowledge. Also note that the Hall of Monuments statue for Abaddon has an insignia in the shape of an eye on the base.

Abaddon is portrayed in Gandara as a tall man with several tentacles and a six eyed mask. Though in Tyria, the Abaddon's Mouth area shows image of two eyed skull-like heads, also with tentacles, and show no mask. If they are representations of Abaddon, many say they are not.
    It's explained in one of the manuscripts, i think, that the hardened lava faces are created by a dark presence in the Volcano chain. Personally, i think this implies the Titan spirits are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by aptaleonII View Post
    I'm fairly certain it's connected to Abaddon's realm of Secrets and Knowledge. Also note that the Hall of Monuments statue for Abaddon has an insignia in the shape of an eye on the base.

It's explained in one of the manuscripts, i think, that the hardened lava faces are created by a dark presence in the Volcano chain. Personally, i think this implies the Titan spirits are to blame.
    Well... It's not called Abaddon's Mouth over nothing right? And that's not how titans operate though. They generally leave their surroundings somewhat intact and aim to destroy every living creature they find (mainly humans).

And do you want any darker presence than the dark god himself?

Server

Desolation
    Guild

Blade and Rose, Edit Conflict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailden Jera View Post
    Well... It's not called Abaddon's Mouth over nothing right? And that's not how titans operate though. They generally leave their surroundings somewhat intact and aim to destroy every living creature they find (mainly humans).

And do you want any darker presence than the dark god himself?
    Well, considering that the Titans are servants of the holder of the Scepter of Orr (the Flameseeker), who in turn is a servant of Abaddon, I'd say it's perfectly possible that the Titan spirits twisted the Ring of Fire Island Chain into something much more dark when they were released the first time. We've only had limited experience of the Titans in the mortal realm - most of them were wiped out fairly quickly when they were released the second time. There is, of course, Ignus the Eternal in Sacnoth Valley, who most likely went into hiding in the mountain range north of Ascalon (perhaps near Duke Gaban's estate?). As soon as it returned, it left only fire in its wake. We can conclude from this that Titans grow more powerful over time, since it had been five years since the completion of the Flameseeker Prophecies.

We also have to consider the very nature of the Ring of Fire Island Chain itself - it has clearly not always been a volcanic deathtrap. There are burnt-out husks of trees and even ruins of buildings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Santax View Post
    There is, of course, Ignus the Eternal in Sacnoth Valley, who most likely went into hiding in the mountain range north of Ascalon (perhaps near Duke Gaban's estate?). As soon as it returned, it left only fire in its wake. We can conclude from this that Titans grow more powerful over time, since it had been five years since the completion of the Flameseeker Prophecies.
    I doubt that all that destruction is the work of a SINGLE titan. Didn't you noticed the unusual amounts of fire elementals in that area? Near the entrance of a dungeon controlled by such elementals and a Fire Elemental Boss? If we are just going to blame the titans for every piece of destruction we find...
    Last edited by Kailden Jera; 23-11-2007 at 18:54.

Server

Desolation
    Guild

Blade and Rose, Edit Conflict
    I doubt that all that destruction is the work of a SINGLE titan. Didn't you noticed the unusual amounts of fire elementals in that area? Near the entrance of a dungeon controlled by such elementals and a Fire Elemental Boss? If we are just going to blame the titans for every piece of destruction we find...
    I wouldn't if it wasn't for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Langmar
    You there, (player name). Our scouts have sent word of a towering beast to the south, one that leaves naught but all-consuming flames in its wake. This can only be a Titan, which leaves us all to wonder...how long before it turns north? We cannot fight such a foe when our hands are already full of Charr. I would have you travel to Sacnoth Valley and slay this Titan. Go, before we're all extra crispy.

Kormir was blinded after The Hunger sucked her eyes at the end of the Consulate Docks mission. Though The Hunger is considered a minnion of Abaddon, he's a Demon that spawned in the Realm of Torment, and is of a different Faction on his own (hence The Hunger as only a pair of Eyes).

The Eyes of Abaddon are his Coat of Arms. The Margonite Masks we often pick up as spoils are proof of that.

Prior to the final clash between Abaddon and the Five Gods, he gathered an army of warriors from the Marga Coast. He armed them with weaponry and armory that reminished severals Aspects of Abaddon. Hence the masks were used prior to the complete transformation of the Margonites. Hence all Margonites clothing and armor are heavly decayed though their masks are still plainly intact.

Yes, eyes are associated with Abaddon. Probably most of his cult focused on the eyes. Mainly as some sort of moto like: "Those who denny me are blind, those who follow me see the truth tripled times."

Of course Abaddon's servants that that moto to a extreme.
    Let's be careful with the information we spread, shall we? Most of your information is probably correct and right on the mark, but I don't think we have any solid evidence or proof in relation to the exact location of the Margonites.

The only information we currently have as to their origin is in the timeline where it says: "Margonite settlements begin to appear along coastlines north and west of Elona. Margonite vessels rule the Unending Ocean."

There could be many possible symbolic reasons for Abaddon's connection to eyes. As has been mentioned before, it could be because he "sees" everyone's secrets. Or perhaps it's a metaphor for our ignorance - we do not see the real truth (whatever that may be). Or it might just be an extension of Nightfall's whole "plunge everything into eternal darkness" theme.