PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

guild wars... game packs buying

how are guild wars original game, nightfall, eye of the north connected?
    can i buy the newest say nightfall and play the game ?
    or i need first the original like in wow u need first the original then buy expantion

if i dont need original then is there a point to buy them all

and does the game have a monthly fee?
    like in wow u buy game and the every month u gotta pay more

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    First off, this is the wrong section. Newcomer and Questions is the section you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicc View Post
    how are guild wars original game, nightfall, eye of the north connected?
    They're some degree of connection story-wise between each of the games, but it's not going to kill your enjoyment of one campaign if you're not up on the story of the prior campaign.

can i buy the newest say nightfall and play the game ?
    or i need first the original like in wow u need first the original then buy expantion
    Prophecies (the original), Factions and Nightfall are standalone campaigns, meaning Factions and Nightfall do not need Prophecies to play. Eye of the North, on the other hand is a true expansion, and will require any one of the three campaigns in order to play.

if i dont need original then is there a point to buy them all
    Each campaign has its own story, skills, weapons and armour, and in the case of Nightfall and Eye of the North, Heroes - NPC characters that you can add to your party and equip as you please.

and does the game have a monthly fee?
    like in wow u buy game and the every month u gotta pay more
    It says on every GW box "Online gaming with no fees", so there's nothing to pay other than buying the game. And your ISP, of course.
    Last edited by The Pointless; 25-11-2007 at 17:00.

GWOnline.Net Member
    but if i buy original.... then buy next expantion will i have me old char?
    or total new stuff???

or the 2 expantion sets work like on diablo 2?
    1 is DIABLO ORIGINAL
    OTher DIABLO DAY OF DESTRUCTION

and u just upgrade yer character to the next stage with new skills, and maps
    Last edited by Magicc; 25-11-2007 at 17:30.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    but if i buy original.... then buy next expantion will i have me old char?
    or total new stuff???
    Pretty much both.
    You can take an exisiting character from another campaign over to the newly-added campaign, and freely travel to each continent thereafter, but there will be a few conditions that need to be met before getting there the first time (Largely just reaching your native continent's "port town", but reaching Nightfall's Elona or Eye of the North's Far Shiverpeaks require you to complete an additional quest and mini-mission).

You also have the option to create a new character and start from that newly-added campaign, which is kind of necessary if you want to play that campaign's exclusive professions.
    You can't create new characters for Eye of the North though, what with it being an expansion and all.
    Last edited by The Pointless; 25-11-2007 at 17:32. Reason: Spelling errors, once again. :\

GWOnline.Net Member
    sooo if i would do guild wars original ..... quests i buy next version and gotta make ALL OVER AGAIN?... if yes then tell me witch game has most players on it...
    i will just buy that one...
    i dont care about quests that bad
    only that the game has ALL it can give (exept quests then)
    i mean maps,skills,players etc...

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    sooo if i would do guild wars original ..... quests i buy next version and gotta make ALL OVER AGAIN?... if yes then tell me witch game has most players on it...
    i will just buy that one...
    i dont care about quests that bad
    only that the game has ALL it can give (exept quests then)
    i mean maps,skills,players etc...
    No, no, no... Say you started with Prophecies, created a character and got him up to the town of Lion's Arch (the port town for that campaign). Then if you bought Factions or Nightfall and added it to your account, new quests would become available in Lion's Arch which will allow that character to travel over to that campaign's continent. That character will keep everything - level, items, everything. And when you finally get to that continent, you're free to jump back and forth between continents you've visited afterward.

You can do that, or you can create a new character and start from that new campaign's continent, who can do the same to travel to other continents himself. You won't lose your existing character either way, unless you choose to delete that character.

GWOnline.Net Member
    yea but what i mean is if i go over will i get new nightfall skills, maps?
    and if i do get them what will happne with the skills me char has when i go back?
    and whats the difference of Factions and Nightfall

do u have all the versions

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    yea but what i mean is if i go over will i get new nightfall skills, maps?
    and if i do get them what will happne with the skills me char has when i go back?
    and whats the difference of Factions and Nightfall

do u have all the versions
    Once you get them for that character, they are yours to use anywhere. You can travel to Nightfall's continent, get some skills from there, maybe get a Machete crafted while you're at it, then jump back to Tyria and use those Nightfall skills and that Machete against Tyria's monsters.

The differences between Factions and Nightfall... well, first off they each have 2 exclusive professions - Factions has the Assassin and the Ritualist, while Nightfall has the Paragon and Dervish. Secondly, they each have their own skills, armour and weapon 'skins' (A weapon's look, for example, a Factions Katana and a Nightfall Machete are pretty much the same swords with a different look to them). Finally, there's the story. Factions does tend to be criticised for being a bit short, and Kaineng City does tend to get a bit dull and depressing, and there's a kind of forking storyline between two factions which... well... it's divided the stupid players. But that's more of a problem with the idiot part of the playerbase than any problem with the game itself.

And yes, I do have all campaigns. My Tyrian Warrior's got equipment from pretty much all campaigns.

GWOnline.Net Member
    sooo i should buy games still streight...
    do they go Guild wars original- factions - nightfall?

is factions and eye of the north the same??

and if i would buy the orignal first could i even meet up with u and u could use nightfall skills nextto me?
    Last edited by Magicc; 25-11-2007 at 18:25.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    You can buy and play them in pretty much any order you like, with the exception of Eye of the North, since that requires one of the other campaigns.

Yes, the chronological order of the games (in both release and story) is GW > Factions > Nightfall > Eye of the North.

And yes, even if you only bought the original, you would still be able to meet up with those with access to the other campaigns and their skills, weapons etc, and play alongside them in the original (So your example is possible)