PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FearedBliss

Slow download speeds ..

I use to play Guild Wars about a year ago before Factions came out and then I stopped. Recently I been trying to get my Guild Wars download speeds up like they use to be, my internet is fine, nothing sucking up the speed, ports 6112 and 80 are both open ( don't know why 80 needs to be open since its the HTTP port and most ISPS automatically block it ). I am playing Guild Wars on my Intel iMac on Windows Vista. Firewall is disabled and Guild Wars is downloading at 40 kbps average.

You would need to see what is sucking up your bandwidth.

Also.. why did you bump 5 threads that were between 2 and 6 months old?

FearedBliss
    I don't know I wanted to state my opinion since the topic existed, plus people might find the information usefull since it's still on today. Do you have any ideas on what might be sucking up bandwidth, all I have installed are a few games and AIM. Pretty much a default installation of Windows Vista.

Wouldn't know; might want to check your connection by downloading google earth or something, to see what your average download speed is.

It could be your ISP.

FearedBliss
    I checked my average speed and it is 2435 down 680 up. Also I finished downloading Ascalon City which was the map that took the most files ( 15k ), I downloaded it at 50 - 121 kbps and after that it was extremely fast with 60 + fps and no lag. All the other maps downloaded at 77 + kbps and they downloaded fast. So I'm guessing the problem was that the initial download takes a while to download but after that it's fast.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I imagine your problems are the fact that alot of guildwars has changed since you quit playing. If you run the game with the -image extension, it will download everything that is guildwars to your computer, and won't require you to download something new every time you go to a new zone. Unfortunately this also means you will have the data for Nightfall and Eye of the North.

For example, my shortcut to update guildwars is;

"J:\games\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -image

Change the path to match yours, just a note, this is only the update link, the game will not run with the -image link.

I usually just run this overnight when I need to do a complete update.

You're looking at about 3.5 gigabytes, give or take.

Ah, that might explain it.

Did this end up working for you?

FearedBliss
    Hmm, Thanks. I heard about the -image parameter but I don't really need it since after I download Ascalon City everything works pretty quick.

Excelent, just be aware, you may be in for future downloads when you get to new areas, if you have the space and time (overnight) try the -image.