PC Gaming News
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorpg man View Post
    since the introduction of obs mode, most players don't bother trying to make their own builds. they just copy builds off others. this is fine as far as using the skills goes. but apart from that they don't know much about the build. i define a good player to be one that can make their own builds and can use different skill combinations to have a desired effect. most PvP players can't do this.
    most players NEVER bother to make their own builds lol. OB just made what players normally assumed into solid, cold, hard fact. It used to be the forums that passed on and traded builds, as players inquired about what build steamed rolled then in Halls or UW. Before Ob you can say "blah blah" belongs in a balance or "blah blah" belongs in a bspike or iway.

But once OB mode was invented, everyone knew what belonged in a standard balance or iway or bspike. The meta wasn't no longer an assumption or personal preference based on what you observed in the last 5 seconds of getting steamed rolled by the exact build your copying. The meta had edged in stone skill bars already tested in proven by the success of the players the meta came from. OB mode just took the place of forums really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzzman View Post
    OB mode just took the place of forums really.
    uh yeah... personally i prefer OB to forums. not that it's the best way to learn but it has it's benefits. no pontification. few *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Nietzsche View Post
    Then you really don't know Spearmen at all.
    After all the most common adjective applied to us is lame.
    when we want to be fun we play fun stuff
    when we want to win we play what works

and when the fun stuff works really well people get mad at us

In Guild Wars, if you don't play balanced builds but you win all the time, you'll be hated.

Or say if you don't play the accepted FoTM (like ranger spike, which was played by most people in the high level pvp of today) and you pwn that FoTM with a build that you play (like IWAY, which basically ***** every ranger spike scrubs out in the past), you'll be hated.
    Last edited by kongkingx; 14-12-2007 at 21:23.

I don't really hate being beaten by some random build or a gimmick. I hate it when the people you're playing against are arrogant about their abilities and call you a noob for losing.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorpg man View Post
    I don't really hate being beaten by some random build or a gimmick. I hate it when the people you're playing against are arrogant about their abilities and call you a noob for losing.
    Good for you but in the past, people have prejudice, in my case, against IWAY. I basically got all my fame with IWAY and when I was starting, I noticed that iway pugs that i play in don't even react when we see "iway noobs" win or lose. Then, IWAYers started to feel proud and fought back.

Memorable lines were..

"MATH > you" (my line when someone starts it)
    "no GG for balanced."
    "you lost so you're the noobs."
    "you cannot run balanced."
    "get a new build"
    "play IWAY"
    "noobs"
    "IWAY > ranger/bloodspike"
    "<whatever here>"

or just rank their scrubby dead characters.

And I'm looking back now. I can imagine how pissed people were. ^_^

But trash talks were always reactive. If nothing is seen in global chat after the match is over, then we just carry on.
    Last edited by kongkingx; 15-12-2007 at 19:47.

GWOnline.Net Member
    bleh back in my day you couldn't beat a half **** balance yet lose to iway and call yourself a good player. QQ on the forums sure, but consider yourself good? Man times has changed.

the only thing i can come up with as of now, and this is on a short time of thinking, is that we could seperate HA into 2 zones, higher level and lower level? maybe this was suggested before, i only skimmed the above, but maybe this could improve lower end players by pitting them aginist the upper tier of lower player and eventually they could advance upwards to the higher levels of play. of course there are some draw backs to this idea, and it might have been suggested before, if so just discard this post. :)

oh and a response to above, gimmick builds will always be around, and they will always allow lower tier players to somehow, beat a better team, and when your a lower tier player and you beat someone good, you want to brag and trash talk, even if it was just once

the only thing i can come up with as of now, and this is on a short time of thinking, is that we could seperate HA into 2 zones, higher level and lower level? maybe this was suggested before, i only skimmed the above, but maybe this could improve lower end players by pitting them aginist the upper tier of lower player and eventually they could advance upwards to the higher levels of play. of course there are some draw backs to this idea, and it might have been suggested before, if so just discard this post. :)
    the idea has been discussed thoroughly in the past but of course many people disagree with the idea for various reasons so it has never gone further than that.

well if anyone can, could yall discuss the reasons? I know WoW does something along those lines with the battlegrounds where only certain levels can play against the same levels.