PC Gaming News
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
    In an ideal world, it would be great to attract long-termers. That would probably require additional changes.
    Anet isn't about attracting long termers. They did that years ago, but today they just want the people who will buy the game, win some pvp matches with spiritway, pat themselves on the back, then move to other games. It's almost a genius money making strategy...

However, they didn't anticipate that their game would be so terrible that long term players would stop playing. It wouldn't surprise me is GW2 sold significantly less copies over time than GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    Anet isn't about attracting long termers. They did that years ago, but today they just want the people who will buy the game, win some pvp matches with spiritway, pat themselves on the back, then move to other games. It's almost a genius money making strategy...

However, they didn't anticipate that their game would be so terrible that long term players would stop playing. It wouldn't surprise me is GW2 sold significantly less copies over time than GW1.
    i would argue that "long-termers" are still a goal of ANet. unfortunately a couple of things got in the way. new compelling games like Age of Conan, and the recession. oh, and before anyone says..."ANet is not affected by the recession", i say, you mean they don't buy gas? any way you look at it when and if GW2 is released you can bet on your sister's black cat's *** that it won't sell anywhere near the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Betty View Post
    the recession
    ...you'd think that a recession would favor pay-once games (such as GW) over pay-to-play ones (such as AoC).

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    ...you'd think that a recession would favor pay-once games (such as GW) over pay-to-play ones (such as AoC).
    actually i think a recession favors a product that you don't have to buy. GW-1 ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Aiiane View Post
    Fame is worthless.

Fame, with its current mechanic, will always be worthless.

The only way to make fame not be worthless is to have the potential for it to go down with losses. That would make fame an actual indication of success rate over time (a la chess ratings et cetera) and thus actually give a rough indication of the skill level of the player.

I've said it once, said it a million times:
    As long as fame is something that can be "farmed", no matter how quickly or slowly, it will be pointless.

Capping the rate at which fame can be acquired does effectively nothing to change this, because it can still be farmed, simply slower - in fact, it makes it worse, because those who are skilled and win consistently in HA can't pull away from the "pack" of fame-farmers at all, so you see even less distinction between those who win games on merit and those who win games on luck.
    I've been saying this for years, but Anet isn't going to change it since it would basically pull the last leg out from under HA. This should've been implemented from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vela View Post
    250 fame/week is almost consistent level of playing in HA everynight with a steady group with 2 hrs window. 50 fame/night is not hard but, on weekdays only a few groups can do it. Considering I played very consistently last month and it was ave. 100 fame/night. Most fame came during weekends. Getting a guild group going in is still a challenge. And bigger one is getting opponents.
    I just started playing again after a year long hiatus and haven't really tombed since I've been back, so forgive me if I'm just being silly.... But is it really that hard to get 50 fame a night these days? Even after they removed the old holding mechanic, 100+ fame nights weren't uncommon (not jsut for me, but most of my flist/good players in general) before I quit. Granted, these were 2-3 hour stints.

Quote Originally Posted by windcaller View Post
    imo HA broke since Factions came out. New skills meant great unbalance. The more skills they added the harder it became to keep the game in an OK state. Remember Star Burst spikes? Did it feel pleasant?
    Starburst spikes utterly failed at everything but Underworld and Burial, so I'm not sure why you even brought this up. Factions also brought a lot of utility to balanced builds.

I, for one, like to remember when i used to play balanced builds in HA. That was the true battle. Nowadays it's who spikes faster. Lame.
    HA has always been full of gimmicks, but I can't recall a time where there weren't any balanced players. The balanced teams just tended to be r9+ people.
    Last edited by B Ephekt; 30-07-2008 at 17:55.

GWOnline.Net Member
    My friend (not even rank one yet) led randomway to HoH and won. Is it hard to get team while not ranked? Not for me. Is There a problem? I don't think so. Is it does ursans trying to take the blame of themselves? Maybe. Will people stop posting these threads? Oh god, I hope so.