PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kongkingx View Post
    What makes HA a boring place to be in is you have these same people, with the same builds owning the same noobs.
    No .

Fame is worthless.

Fame, with its current mechanic, will always be worthless.

The only way to make fame not be worthless is to have the potential for it to go down with losses. That would make fame an actual indication of success rate over time (a la chess ratings et cetera) and thus actually give a rough indication of the skill level of the player.

I've said it once, said it a million times:
    As long as fame is something that can be "farmed", no matter how quickly or slowly, it will be pointless.

Capping the rate at which fame can be acquired does effectively nothing to change this, because it can still be farmed, simply slower - in fact, it makes it worse, because those who are skilled and win consistently in HA can't pull away from the "pack" of fame-farmers at all, so you see even less distinction between those who win games on merit and those who win games on luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiiane
    The only way to make fame not be worthless is to have the potential for it to go down with losses. That would make fame an actual indication of success rate over time (a la chess ratings et cetera) and thus actually give a rough indication of the skill level of the player.
    I'd like this change. /signed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiiane View Post
    Well, I can just log on my rank 0 account and tank others' fame for fun and profit. Sounds good to me too.

no fame deduction per lost match is fine. It's what keeps fame farmers playing HA hardcore. I just want to limit them, not the new potential players. Everything is about the 80/20 rule, which Vela mentioned. The fame quota has the potential to give those 80 percent some HA playtime, imo. And I'm very ok seeing the 20 go to the bench and enjoy real life (unless they have lotsa accounts to fame farm) and the 80 having some HA playtime.

What will it do to the HA population? Well 80 is more than 20 so must be an increase?
    Last edited by kongkingx; 06-12-2007 at 01:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiiane View Post
    The only way to make fame not be worthless is to have the potential for it to go down with losses.
    Hmm.,....what happens if someone gets to r9 and stops playing altogether in HA. Does that person lose fame too? W/O that it will be quite useless. Fame could have been a individual ladder system instead of HB ladder.. However, it will be farmed regardless.
    Vela - IGN: Vela Iviana [Club]

Where man in all his truest glory lives,
    And nature's face is exquisitely sweet;
    For those fair climes I heave impatient sigh,
    There let me live and there let me die.

The fame you gain on a match should be dependent on the combined fame of the team you beat, compared to the combined fame of your team.

Beat a good team with a bad team, get a good reward.
    Beat a good team with a good team, get an ok reward.
    Beat a bad team with a good team, get a crappy reward.
    Beat a bad team with a bad team, get an ok reward.

Note that this system would *gasp* encourage good players to seek out crapper players who can learn well.

There should probably be an exception when you're holding halls, i.e. some fixed amount of fame, otherwise if it's noob hour in HA you'd have nothing to look forward to.

Thoughts?

with all these different ideas going round we should probably hold a vote for what people want to do. basically these are the main ideas stated

1) making a rookie HA arena for unranked players

2) having a fame cap per week

3) having a fame system where the amount you get is based on the current fame of your team and the team you're facing

4) having a system where if you lose a match, you lose fame and if you win a match you gain fame.

5) getting rid of fame all together

6) substituting fame for a title track for the whole of PvP

Quote Originally Posted by mmorpg man View Post

1) making a rookie HA arena for unranked players

2) having a fame cap per week

3) having a fame system where the amount you get is based on the current fame of your team and the team you're facing

4) having a system where if you lose a match, you lose fame and if you win a match you gain fame.

5) getting rid of fame all together

6) substituting fame for a title track for the whole of PvP
    my responses:

1) ok sure
    2) if the cap is reasonable, ok
    3) NO
    4) HELL ****ING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** THAT!!!!!!!!!
    5) HELL ****ING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** THAT!!!!!!!!!
    6) **** THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My what wonderful points you made.

Fame's never been a very good representation of skill.

That said if you aren't rank 3 by now you're either very new to tombs, or lying to yourself about how "good" you are.

Almost all of the old really good tombs players / groups quit or broke up.

Try running and winning as balanced back during olddddd rspike. That was hard... New tombs is a joke.