PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    of course experience HA players fame farm. But that's what happens to EVERYONE. Like 98 out of every 100 players will only play HA in the LONG TERM to fame farm.

yes you like the experience of HA and you want to hold halls. But after the 20th time doing that will just "holding halls" keep you playing HA? NO. And so you get your experience, you hold halls and then you do one of two things, you Quit or you start Farming Fame. Because that is ALL THERE IS over a LONG TERM.

What I'm saying is this:

To assume that getting rid of the old HAers and starting over again will result in anything other than the status quo is ridiculous.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Any new players that isn't in an HA guild or knows people in game stands no chance of getting anywhere in HA. Except of course the rank spam and noob comments. Yet ranked people complain they play the same people over and over with the same builds over and over. And so it will stay that way because the non ranked has no chance of becoming experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorpg man View Post
    @shadowspawn. ranked player: oh look there's a new unranked player. lets /rank him guys.
    (ranked players surround unranked player. /rank)
    ranked player: "get out of here u PvE noob"

not a pleasant feeling to have to take that is it? try being a bit more considerate about others and we may not even be having this conversation.
    it is unfortunate that you have experienced such negativity in HA. i don't know what TZ you play in but in my TZ i have only witnessed one such vulgar display. when i saw it, i spoke up - to no avail.

ANet cannot police all areas of the game. to do so is IMO an infringement of personal freedom. i'd rather tolerate 1% of the HA population for their asinine ways than penalize 99% of the others who are polite.

that said, perhaps public discussion (as we have here) will make the juveniles more aware of the problem and hopefully more sensitive to the issue.

I don't even speak when i do happen to pop in HA. I guess thats why I'll never learn anything. When and if i do speak theres always a few to make sure to spam emote and make rude comments. So really, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by kongkingx View Post
    The Problem
    ------------
    What makes HA a boring place to be in is you have these same people, with the same builds owning the same noobs. Well, if I'm a new player who thinks that mending wammo is the best there is and I see the same people, with the same builds owning the same noobs in an arena that I want to be in, say Heroes Ascent, I surely will piss myself or get discouraged when I try to form my ultimate mending wammo HA build. Why? Because these same people, with the same builds owning the same noobs will just own me in no time. I'll just forget about it and just do productive things in real life, like learning PHP or ASP.NET.
    You need to go deeper. The problem isn't that the same people are running the same builds. The same people are running the same builds because the state of game balance in this game is idiotic and too constrained to allow for variety, taking into account the countless flaws of HA as a venue, then adding in the fact that 90% of pvpers in this game play to get titles instead of playing to get better / compete. More simply put, people don't like HA because it just fu**ing sucks and they would rather farm it with gimmicks than put effort into winning.

Solution
    --------
    Set the limit of how many fame you can get per week.
    Stop. Here's a few things wrong with the first part of your solution. If you put a time limit on gaining fame, the player base (of HA) will drop as a direct result. Like I said, 90% of the pvpers in this game only play to grind titles. Second, this doesn't help new or inexperienced players - it only hurts the players who are actually dedicated enough to run something successful in HA. There is nothing wrong with holding halls a lot. The only reason people don't like how HA works now is because only 3-5 teams are playing at any given time and the same teams make it to HoH and gank the same other teams out, then threy beat Underworld, skip to halls, and gank someone again.
    Say if the fame cap is 250 per week and those same people with the same builds owning the same noobs got their quota capped already, they won't be allowed to play, giving a very good chance for other noobs with no fame or few fame to enjoy themselves, win and take HoH and feel good about themselves. Easy right?
    So...what you want to do is punish successful players?
    And This Is Good For A.NET
    If the player is totally addicted to HA and his fame quota is capped, he can just buy a new account. I'm sure he doesn't want to be idle for a week after getting his 250 fame per week quota. Good $$ for A.NET. Downside is that those account sellers based on fame will get hit, hard. Still, good for A.NET, amirite or aminot?
    Only an idiot would buy another account instead of pveing, gvging, or doing RL commitments for the rest of the week.

So in summary...
    You want to lower the already negligible player base, punish successful players, and temporarily ban dedicated tombs players.

This is the stupidest suggestion I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post

So in summary...
    You want to lower the already negligible player base, punish successful players, and temporarily ban dedicated tombs players.
    You put harsher expletives but yes, I want to "lower" the already negligible player base, "punish" successful players and "temporarily ban" dedicated tombs players. I think that doing those will usher the massive influx of new players from pve, ra, ab or wherever. You want to increase the player base right? You want to face new people, right? You want to go all through the map and max the fame cap (which is 40 fame / win) right?

Just scan threads with titles "Why Don't You PvP?" and all the reasons will boil down to this..

"Because losing sucks and it even sucks more whenever PvP nerds flash emote on my dead character."

How will they win and give PvP a second thought (and eventually enjoy and get hooked) if those hardcore winners are farming HA for like 24/7?
    Last edited by kongkingx; 12-12-2007 at 05:14.

I think before we try implementing a new solution for HA we have to stress the fact that HA is not like the other areana's where you can just get a random team together and expect to win. too many new players come in and take HA like AB or RA. I asked a group why once while trying to help them out and most of them answered "cos I want to pawn people". these types of people will indeed make HA worse so before we change the fame system, we have to improve the mentality of the players in it (both new and old).

Just scan threads with titles "Why Don't You PvP?" and all the reasons will boil down to this..

"Because losing sucks and it even sucks more whenever PvP nerds flash emote on my dead character."

How will they win and give PvP a second thought (and eventually enjoy and get hooked) if those hardcore winners are farming HA for like 24/7?
    So you want to force all the good players out to let crappy people win w/o being good or putting in real effort.

OK so now we all know what a ****ty idea that is and that it will never happen.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

There is a difference between a fame farmer, who has no intention of moving past underworld, and a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    taking into account the countless flaws of HA as a venue, then adding in the fact that 90% of pvpers in this game play to get titles instead of playing to get better / compete. More simply put, people don't like HA because it just fu**ing sucks and they would rather farm it with gimmicks than put effort into winning.

I only play TA and RA now 2-3 times a week on a casual basis (just waiting for *cough* WAR to come out) and I have to say that there has been a huge influx of PVE players and guilds in these two arenas.

Strangely, I have also noticed that the emoting of rank, dancing over dead characters bodies, frantically pinging their Tormented Weapons etc and general abuse has increased also. The people who do this are not (traditional) PVP players but PVE-ers.

I hooked up with some ex-guildies (PVE guild who wanted to do something different) for a game in TA. When I left the guild (about 4 months now) a majority were rankless, now they range from Stag to Tiger. And let me tell you, they were sh*t at PVP back then and they are sh*t at PVP now. They had no basic grasp of anything to do with PVP...I mean nothing.

All they did was spam their bloody emotes, even when they were dying or about to kill someone - spam spam spam. How can anyone earn 600 to 5k fame and not learn anything about PVP?

Have I made a point here....er....oh well.