PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    MiniTruckin

Angry Dishonor for slow loading

The most rediculus thing happened to me saturday. I've been having a long load in Alliance Battles lately. So when I got done loading the map, somone declared me a freaking leecher. So I contacted the GW support team about this and all I got was is that they cant do anything about the report its an automated system they cant do anything about it. So now I get only half the the faction rewards and I have 2 dishonor points on my account. The point im getting to is they need to figure out a way so that players wont get declared a leecher for somthing stupid like what happened to me.

IIRC you can only declare a leecher if they're on your team, so in AB only by the three people your partied with. The easy solution is to simply tell your team (if they're not friends who knwo about your loading time) that it takes you a short while to load into the map.

Long as your in before the match actually starts (before the counter hits 0 ) I think your safe from most people suspecting you.

The dishonor points will go away on thier own in a short while, they're not a perm marker on your account.
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

You don't think you caused your team equal frustration by taking forever to load?

You can reduce load times by using the -image extension and keeping your internet speed at a good level.

If your internet speed is bad enough that you're showing up a few minutes late to each mission, maybe you should get reported? It's not fair to your teammates if you constantly handicap your teams.

What is ridiculous is the fact that nobody can spell ridiculous.

Zero, you can be reported by anyone on your team, that includes allies in AB. There isn't really anything to be done, the points go away after a while I believe, but Arena Net should do something about the leeching report. Like maybe have a leeching report require 2 report commands, then first of all someone can't just grief people by reporting them, and you may have a better chance of not getting caught by an impatient kid wanting to act big over the internet.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwinter View Post
    You can reduce load times by using the -image extension and keeping your internet speed at a good level.

If your internet speed is bad enough that you're showing up a few minutes late to each mission, maybe you should get reported? It's not fair to your teammates if you constantly handicap your teams.
    -image and connection speed won't solve all slowloading problems, especially in the case of older comps. I'm on 2MB broadband and this comp right now (a cruddy Advent laptop which I passed onto my mum last year) stuggles to load maps, even after -image, but my Alienware laptop (currently waiting to be sent off for repairs AGAIN!) could get a map ready within about 10 seconds at best.

Anyways, as Zero said, inform the team beforehand, even if other teams on your side can /report you, your own team might be able to pass on the message that you're still loading. Provided they even have the brain cells to understand, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Khann View Post
    What is ridiculous is the fact that nobody can spell ridiculous.
    I'm sure the OP got the message already, just stop now. Once was enough.
    Last edited by The Pointless; 03-12-2007 at 23:38.

Stop freaking out, the dishonor points aren't "on your account", they get erased after an hour. The zero faction rewards only count for that particular match; you should get normal faction in every other game you play afterwards. In short, it was a one time deal. The ridiculous thing is that you're attributing far greater penalties to the incident than those that actually occur.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    It's understandable since at a certain point during the load, your character becomes visible to others, but your screen still shows you're loading and the bitmap for the load. They see you long before you're finished loading, they talk to you, you don't answer (because you have no idea they are talking to you) and so they assume you're a leecher. Like someone else said, try the -image to get the entire database loaded so you don't waste time loading.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTruckin View Post
    The most rediculus thing happened to me saturday. I've been having a long load in Alliance Battles lately. So when I got done loading the map, somone declared me a freaking leecher. So I contacted the GW support team about this and all I got was is that they cant do anything about the report its an automated system they cant do anything about it. So now I get only half the the faction rewards and I have 2 dishonor points on my account. The point im getting to is they need to figure out a way so that players wont get declared a leecher for somthing stupid like what happened to me.
    MiniTruckin, it's no big deal. Here's why:
    1) One person reporting you does not reduce your faction reward.
    2) The dishonour points will be gone after 1 hour
    3) Since only one person reported you, they will also have 2 dishonour points.

There is no reason for you to be upset. From what you have said, you haven't had any kind of penalty applied to you at all. 2 dishonour points alone does nothing.