PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacked Accounts

Hacked Accounts

Hey everyone..

Been playing guild wars for about 30 months now, recently had a few problems with connections with the game, so i thought it was nigh time i had a little break. Anyway, back to it today with everything working and i find im down pretty much everything in storage, including gold, nothing in my friends list par 1 i didn't add and without a Guild. Most of my builds had been changed and characters in places they weren't when i left them.

As much as it hurts to lose stuff, and its going to suck having to get most of the priceless green stuff back, the point of this thread is a question. Whomever it was that went through my account, seems to have used it for a bit, under the impression it was there account. They also left a player in my friends list, who i don't know, and im going to presume is in association with whoever did use my account. So with that knowledge, is there anything i can do, anything i can ask of arena net, or will my only hope be relying on the person's "Good will" to do the right thing.

change your password

First thing i did... But that isn't really what I'm getting at here..

I would like to know how they hacked your account?

As would i. The password was different to everything else i use & the only other person who knows my password is my girlfriend. As far as i know, my PC is pretty secure, latest build of vista, all AV & Firewalls on and kicking.

That said... i got an email a week or two ago that read :

CAN I HAVE YOUR PLAY NC MASTER ACCOUNT PLS OR YOUR GUILD WARS ACC

from a [name removed] from yahoo. I just took no notice of it. Thought it was odd, obviously, but yeah... any ideas anyone? Kind of puzzling.
    Last edited by CÚrilia; 11-12-2007 at 09:23. Reason: Removed name

It wouldn't hurt to submit a support ticket....and ask Anet (Below is the link for support)

http://support.guildwars.com/

If nothing else they may look into it and is worth a shot.

I know it isn't the topic of your thread but ....

It is good advice even after the fact so it doesn't happen again...

When registering for forums on line don't use the same user name and password as your GW account....make them both something original and different. (on any GW related website or related item this is a good practice) **this one I can't stress enough**

Do not ever give out your password or username to people that you don't know personally and trust completely.

Don't install any 3rd party software that hasn't been tested on these forums and such. There are so many programs out there that do great things for GW such as keep track of our skills and such (and most of them are innocent) but personally I don't use them unless I check on these forums and know the great users here use them ....because there can be hacks in some of the software programs to get your username and password (and if you do use them run a virus scan and a spyware scan on them)

Don't use just Numbers or letters for your PW...those are easy for Keyloggers to guess. Make it a combination of both. (This is important for your new password as well)

Sorry that you were hacked good luck in getting a response and welcome back to GW (sorry it was not a great homecoming) Unfortunately, giving advice on how to not let it happen again and giving the GW support link is about all we can do on the forums since this is a issue that has to be handled by Anet. Good luck though :)
    Last edited by intent; 11-12-2007 at 08:27.

Yeah, cheers intent, i understand. My password & username don't match ones i use anywhere else, i made sure of that long ago. And all the other points i successfully pass, what makes it confusing is the email and such. But i'll submit a support ticket all the same, see if anything can be extracted from it, but if anything happens from it, chances are an account will be banned and my items along with it.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    You should thank your lucky star, it could have been much, much worse. Whoever used your account did not delete your characters. Stuff is just stuff, but a character is irreplacable.

Another thing is that the GW username/password can be the safest in the world, and it matters not if your PlayNC account is unsafe. Especially their stupid birthday and "secret question" stuff are basically made to be reverse engineered. And to top it off, afaik, you cannot easily change those data if you think they have been compromised. So if I were you I would have a closer look at my PlayNC account, and think hard if anyone could have gained access to that.

And the new spam junk I see on YIM and MSN now, the whole, "Hey is this your picture [click to download" is getting tedious. It's bluntly obvious what it is an in every cause they are forms of keyloggers and such.

Self-Proclaimed Supporter Of The Mursaat Cause
    "Bloodstone, it keeps going and going and going..."
    IGN: Nanashi Hyuga - The Whirling Fist Sin of Righteousness

You should thank your lucky star, it could have been much, much worse. Whoever used your account did not delete your characters. Stuff is just stuff, but a character is irreplacable.

Another thing is that the GW username/password can be the safest in the world, and it matters not if your PlayNC account is unsafe. Especially their stupid birthday and "secret question" stuff are basically made to be reverse engineered. And to top it off, afaik, you cannot easily change those data if you think they have been compromised. So if I were you I would have a closer look at my PlayNC account, and think hard if anyone could have gained access to that.
    Something that happened to a person on my friends list was worse for example. Got everything but a low lvl mesmer deleted, and he's been playing since nearly the beginning. He thinks some spam on myspace got him... glad I don't use myspace for that reason and many others. I sure wish that I had taken screenies of the conversations when this person was on, at first I was just confused by the conversations though... later on I thought that I would get my friend banned if I reported the conversation and sent in screenies what with my past experiences with anet.