PC Gaming News
    Vindogo

(How) Will this run on my computer?

I'm considering getting the game but need to know if my my computer can handle it, as it is rather outdated. Its specs:

Processor: Celeron M 1.5Ghz
    Graphics card: SiS 661FX/661MX
    RAM: 448 MB

I'm mostly concerned about the graphics card, it struggles with WoW and don't know if it's supported for Guild Wars.

In addition, I can't install the game because the disc reader is broken and I've put off having it repaired because of the insane cost. Can I use the trial client if I buy the game for the authentication key? Will I have to buy Guild Wars and all its expansions?

I can't give you advise about the technical part, but...

You don't need a working CD/DVD drive at all for the game to run, as the Client you can download automatically downloads and further files you need.
    You only have to buy either Guild Wars: Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall, all of these are stand alone versions of the game. On tips what to buy, there are many threads about what campaign to start with in the Newcomer Forum.

I saw your post over on the WoW forums (I think...gogo google)

I figure your machine is taking 64MB of system RAM as shared video memory, the card is integrated onto the motherboard, so you can't really replace it that easily, unless you have an open expansion slot on your laptop.

GW will probably run, but you will have really bad FPS, I would suggest, running at 800x600 with everything BUT textures on low. The graphics will look like hell, but you should be able to play.

I'm kinda guessing it's a laptop cuz you mentioned that repairing a cd drive is expensive..

But anyway, you don't need the cd to install GW, you can download the client, which is the same regardless of whether you have a trial or full version of the game. You can get it here.

I hope you have a high speed connection since downloading the client takes a long time, as it has to download a bunch of files.

Also, once you get gw installed, I would recommend running it with a -image switch to download all the current data, that way it's not downloading while you are trying to play.

See here for more info about using the -image switch.

As a sidenote, I have been able to run GW "decently" on my other machine with a GeForce 4 MX 4000, 2GHz CPU and 512 ram, you should be ok.

I'm sorry to say it'll probably run poorly. Here's a thread started by someone with similar chipset/graphics:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forum...ighlight=661fx

A quick search of the SiS site shows that the chipset only supports DirecX 7.0 in hardware, and the rest in software. That is going to put more load on your system.

If you can find someone with a trial key, testing it out is probably the best way to see if you can tolerate the performance.

Good luck.

-T

Vindogo
    OK, it runs, and it is both smoother and prettier than WoW, at least at the starting areas. I find fps depends on what I'm looking at, the worst is when I look back at Ascalon from just beyond the gate. Is there a way to decrease draw distance? My sight feels very far compared to what I was used to in WoW. Can I expect the same performance throughout the game?

Now I'm in a dilemma: I bought Guild Wars Platinum but haven't yet activated Eye of the North. I'm very hesitant to do so because WoW Burning Crusade caused me big performance problems (where vanilla WoW used to run fairly smoothly), and Blizzard wouldn't let me play without it once I had activated it. Is EotN the same deal?

I see that the requirements for the two games as listed on the back of their boxes are the same, but the requirements I found on the main Guild Wars site for the original were lower. So, simply put, will activating EotN make the game unplayable, and with no turning back?

Any tips on increasing my performance would be very welcome.
    Last edited by Vindogo; 12-12-2007 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindogo View Post
    OK, it runs, and it is both smoother and prettier than WoW, at least at the starting areas. I find fps depends on what I'm looking at, the worst is when I look back at Ascalon from just beyond the gate. Is there a way to decrease draw distance? My sight feels very far compared to what I was used to in WoW. Can I expect the same performance throughout the game?
    There is no way to decrease the draw distance.

Now I'm in a dilemma: I bought Guild Wars Platinum but haven't yet activated Eye of the North. I'm very hesitant to do so because WoW Burning Crusade caused me big performance problems (where vanilla WoW used to run fairly smoothly), and Blizzard wouldn't let me play without it once I had activated it. Is EotN the same deal?
    It shouldn't have any issues, you might have a bit of lag in high detail areas but that is unavoidable, since your graphics card is so old.

I see that the requirements for the two games as listed on the back of their boxes are the same, but the requirements I found on the main Guild Wars site for the original were lower. So, simply put, will activating EotN make the game unplayable, and with no turning back?

Any tips on increasing my performance would be very welcome.
    You've already "activated" EotN when you downloaded and installed the client. It's the same client no matter what chapter you own.

Also, did you do a -image?

The client is exactly the same, the access keys just let you access the content of the respective chapters. You wouldn't have to install or uninstall EotN because you already have it. Now, some zones may pose a problem, for example there were some issues with Nightfall and one of the Intel chipsets. However I don't think any such issues have been mentioned for the SiS chips.

As to performance, you may experience performance hits in crowded towns, as there are more objects to render. If that becomes a problem, you can try jumping to the International District, where it is usually less crowded. You can tweak your graphics settings in the Options panel. Lowering the resolution is an obvious one. Lowering your texture and shading will help too. You can also turn off post-processing if that is on. You'll lose some fancy effects, but it should help a little. You can download the full data with the -image flag, as mentioned by MoonUnit earlier. See the FAQ sticky in this forum for more details. Outside of the game, defrag your drive frequently and make sure you don't have any extra programs running in the background. For example, if the Windows Indexing Service kicks on while you're playing, it can degrade the game's performance.

Cheers.

-T

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindogo View Post
    There have been some improvements in the Guild Wars graphic engine since the original release. Cut scenes are the main one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are a number of other improvements that have been made to the general game as well.
    Last edited by Saucermote; 13-12-2007 at 00:48. Reason: I hate [] Board code

Vindogo
    Alright, I've done the -image and will defrag soon. I've also activated GWEN and so far I'm pleased with performance, it is at least better than WoW. Thanks everyone for your advice.