PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

After April 08 no more Real prizes for GvG Monthlies

April marks the third anniversary for Guild Wars, and we plan to commemorate this event with a special anniversary tournament that will feature an expanded prize pool. After this concludes, we will transition from real-world prizes to exclusive in-game awards, including never-before-seen items. Rules for the 2008 Automated Tournament Series can be found here, and details about the in-game prizes will be released in the spring.
    So I have to wonder if any of the top guilds will stick around except the hard-core GW addicts.

To me, its symbolic that ANet has pretty much given up on Competitive play in guild wars.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Nietzsche View Post
    To me, its symbolic that ANet has pretty much given up on Competitive play in guild wars.
    I'm not too suprised, and I'm not too upset. They're trying to work full steam ahead on GW2, and I'm not going to begrudge them that so I can get a graphics card from running blockway in a tourney.

GW pvp will officially be dead after April.

im not so sure itll be dead, the idea of no real world prizes will affect those who stive to get them, but there are many guilds that are top 100 and top 50 that dont get real world prizes and still play daily. So well have to wait and see how it is after april, but i can see it dying down some

They play daily so they have the opportunity to compete for prizes.

yah but many dont play only to win the real life prizes, but i understand where your coming from, maybe in in game prizes will be worth playing for?

Alot of high level competition exists for the prizes. Hence why alot of pvpers left after the World Championships ended.

Its likely that people will still compete but also that the level of competition will drop.

People who love Guildwars or want to be recognized in the game will still play but the level of dedication drops when there isn't something real to work towards.

Would you play guildwars for 4-5 hours a day of hard-play when all you get is a cool skin?
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The game is unlikely to be dead. Certainly general skill level will decrease as motivation to really push that extra bit declines, but most guilds just play for fun. Only a handful of teams really have a shot at taking home a real prize, but far more than a handful play in ATs and register for monthlies. It's not all about winning a prize, it's mostly about just having fun.

gw is dead anyways, just wait for warhammer online