PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    So does this mean in April I can HA without being rank 8?

I don't believe that its going to hurt GvG or PvP at all....you won't see any make shift guilds made up of people using rebirth make top 50 or top 100

A few folks might throw in the towel......but thats gunna be a small percentage....

and whoever was saying play warhammer........just go play WoW...click on the giganormous ad in my post.....
    (the one thats prolly gunna scrunch it all to one side)
    Last edited by ChickenBurger; 02-01-2008 at 03:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Yue View Post
    Pretty sure there's not 10 million people who would watch little league baseball.

I'm also pretty sure that competitive games revolve around the high end of competition, or there wouldn't even be a point to it. Competition leaves, game is dead. It doesn't matter if there are a few RA scrubs that decide to venture into gvg, the game would still be dead.
    Pretty sure I would rather believe a published journalist, the Nielsen ratings board and the US census bureau rather than a anonymous forum user who can't provide sources other than his/her opinions.

Your position reminds me of what the doom sayers say about basketball when Michael Jordan and the Bull's dream team disbanded. Basketball does not revolve around the Bulls. GW does not revolve around the few, it revolves around the whole. Sorry to burst your tiny world bubble.

And just to put some perspective, Yue's position is

The top 4 of 662 pvp guilds have died so therefore the game is dead! 4 is .6% of 662.

In 2005, there are 295M people in the US, 10M is 3.3%

So in Yue's world the 3.3% means nothing, but the .6% means everything.

Quote Originally Posted by rexkenley View Post
    Your position reminds me of what the doom sayers say about basketball when Michael Jordan and the Bull's dream team disbanded. Basketball does not revolve around the Bulls. GW does not revolve around the few, it revolves around the whole. Sorry to burst your tiny world bubble.
    sorry to burst your bubble, but that analogy is both terrible and irrelevant.

A better analogy is when the Koreans quit and some people said PvP was dead : the Bulls.

No one is saying that one team leaving kill competitive pvp. What they are saying is removing THE REASON FOR IT, kills competitive pvp.

No one is saying RA, AB, or HB will suffer (I don't think HB could get worse anyway). TA and HA (what's left of them) won't take much of a hit either.

They're talking about the HIGH LEVEL PLAY suffering when you remove the reward for it. Oh, and in case you didn't know, Rank 300-10,000 GvG doesn't count as high level play. And NO **** there will still be a rank 1 guild, but the amount of effort/skill will drop to achieve that, AND THUS IT SUFFERS.

Pay attention, and you learn things.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Competitive GvG. Yeah it'll be dead. If there's no real reason for competitive GvGers to be at their best, logically, they're gonna be worse and the really serious competitive gamers will just go play games with rl rewards.

As for the rest:
    Rexkenley has never been in any high-end PvP guild, has won 0$ worth of equipment with high-level PvP and knows no high-end PvPers.
    Yue is currently in a high-end PvP guild, has been in several, has enough experience to earn him an Nvidia graphics card, and knows high end PvPers.
    If I needed to trust one of the two concerning the mood in the PvP community... hey, my money would be on Yue.

The little card they send you with the prizes is generally cooler than the prize itself, which arrives so late after the tourny it's outdated anyways.

Hehe it's that bad eh :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    The little card they send you with the prizes is generally cooler than the prize itself, which arrives so late after the tourny it's outdated anyways.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~QFT

Now there are people putting alot of effort in winning because of the real world prizes.

When the real world prizes will be replaced with in-game prizes, being it rare skins, more minis or access to special guild cape emblems, there will be people who will put alot of effort in winning because of these vanity prizes.

Probably these people will fall under the category students, kiddies or die-hard GW addicts, and their skill level might (will) be lower than the current top 50 guilds, but the effort will probably be the same.

I don't think stopping with the real world prizes will kill GvG in Guild Wars, it might kill some of the quality though. Only time will tell, doomsayers are of all time, and no matter if it takes 1, 3 or 10 years to die, they will in the end always come back and say, I knew (and said) it !

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    That made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Nietzsche View Post
    No one is saying that one team leaving kill competitive pvp. What they are saying is removing THE REASON FOR IT, kills competitive pvp.

No one is saying RA, AB, or HB will suffer (I don't think HB could get worse anyway). TA and HA (what's left of them) won't take much of a hit either.

They're talking about the HIGH LEVEL PLAY suffering when you remove the reward for it. Oh, and in case you didn't know, Rank 300-10,000 GvG doesn't count as high level play. And NO **** there will still be a rank 1 guild, but the amount of effort/skill will drop to achieve that, AND THUS IT SUFFERS.

Pay attention, and you learn things.
    Maybe you are Niet, but the other posts make it sound like 1-4 teams are the be all end all of gw pvp.

So who defines HIGH LEVEL?? you? oh great forum moderator? Hardly. Like the rest of us folks you are entitled to your opinion. But unlike your lot of gloom and doom sayers, I believe that we can still see quality matches in the future, even without real world prizes because not everybody is motivated by money.

There are 2 kinds of players in this world. The first play for the love of the game, the other play for the greed of money that can be made by playing the game. So yeah if Money/Prizes is all gw is about, I can see where you are coming from. But if game history is like sports history, history only remembers those who play for the love of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    Rexkenley has never been in any high-end PvP guild, has won 0$ worth of equipment with high-level PvP and knows no high-end PvPers.
    It is always amazing that when people cannot defend their position with the truth, they go for assumptions. Seriously, I was expecting more.

Too bad we cannot expect the "High Level of Play" to the quality of some posts in this thread.
    Last edited by rexkenley; 03-01-2008 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by rexkenley View Post
    So who defines HIGH LEVEL??
    http://guildwars.com/competitive/ladder/default.php
    But if game history is like sports history, history only remembers those who play for the love of the game.
    Lol? Competitive history tends not to give a **** why you play; it only remembers who won, and how.
    It is always amazing that when people cannot defend their position with the truth, they go for assumptions. Seriously, I was expecting more.
    So what guild are you in? I'm guessing it's not higher on the ladder than, say, Yue's.
    Last edited by neoflame; 03-01-2008 at 20:37.