PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove the two extreme maps

Here's a fictional GvG scenario.

One team's guild hall has all the normal NPCs. ~12 archers, ~3 footmen, 2 knights, bodyguard, guild lord. The other team has ~12 archers, ~3 footmen, 2 knights, 2 curse necros, 4 blindbot/sirspike eles, and 6 bodyguards. Guess who wins?

The two extreme maps in Alliance Battles (Ancestral Lands and Kaanai Canyon) give us the same scenario. One team always starts with somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 extra NPCs more than the other team (NPCs which cannot be captured), which happen to be placed so that they defend 2 shrines and 6 extra NPCs that can be captured. Playing on these maps is not fun. The same way fighting a 16v8 in tombs is no fun. When one team has a guaranteed 2 extra shrines and the other team has no advantage, can you call that balanced pvp?

The only possible way to win these maps is if the defending team has at least twice the amount of mentally retarded players on their team than you do, which although happens sometimes, has nothing to do with strategy or execution. Since coordination between 3 separate groups is impossible, winning this map, for the most part, is a random event.

Aside from the inherent "auto-win" these maps give the defending team, it's annoying to hear the "LMAO YOU GUYS GOT OWNED 500-300" from players whose combined IQ is less than a chair's.

Take Kaanai Canyon and Ancestral Lands out of rotation. The other 3 maps are more fun, require strategy and execution, and give both teams a nearly equal chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    Here's a fictional GvG scenario.

One team's guild hall has all the normal NPCs. ~12 archers, ~3 footmen, 2 knights, bodyguard, guild lord. The other team has ~12 archers, ~3 footmen, 2 knights, 2 curse necros, 4 blindbot/sirspike eles, and 6 bodyguards. Guess who wins?

The two extreme maps in Alliance Battles (Ancestral Lands and Kaanai Canyon) give us the same scenario. One team always starts with somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 extra NPCs more than the other team (NPCs which cannot be captured), which happen to be placed so that they defend 2 shrines and 6 extra NPCs that can be captured. Playing on these maps is not fun. The same way fighting a 16v8 in tombs is no fun. When one team has a guaranteed 2 extra shrines and the other team has no advantage, can you call that balanced pvp?

The only possible way to win these maps is if the defending team has at least twice the amount of mentally retarded players on their team than you do, which although happens sometimes, has nothing to do with strategy or execution. Since coordination between 3 separate groups is impossible, winning this map, for the most part, is a random event.

Aside from the inherent "auto-win" these maps give the defending team, it's annoying to hear the "LMAO YOU GUYS GOT OWNED 500-300" from players whose combined IQ is less than a chair's.

Take Kaanai Canyon and Ancestral Lands out of rotation. The other 3 maps are more fun, require strategy and execution, and give both teams a nearly equal chance to win.
    i sort of enjoy playing as the extreme underdog. its more embarassing for the opponents when you beat them 500 118 (that was fun ) in their own territory. its also embarassing for you to lose in your own territory though. so i get enjoyment as well as annoyance from the deep luxon and kurzick maps.

i find the people who boast about narrow wins in their own territory are amazingly hilarious. if i win 500 300-400+ in my territory (deep) i just think, well we won it because of the territory, but oh well faction for meeeee (randomness)

p.s. i must admit i do prefer etnaran keys and grenz though (more randomness, was meant to shut up ages ago)

yeah RA teams should fight zaishen elite before entering into "RA", cause HA has it and I can't imagine what will happen if HA didn't have the zaishen elite to bottleneck all the noobs. Next we should have relic run objectives in RA and VoD for AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzzman View Post
    yeah RA teams should fight zaishen elite before entering into "RA", cause HA has it and I can't imagine what will happen if HA didn't have the zaishen elite to bottleneck all the noobs. Next we should have relic run objectives in RA and VoD for AB.
    I posted a serious, legitimate suggestion in hopes that intelligent people would post their thoughts about it. Be critical, constructive, or take your brainlessness somewhere else.

Removing them is a bit extreme.

But they should probably reduce the amount of time spent on it, ie instead of every 3 hours the faction line changes make it every 1.5 if your in the far territory.

I mean you rarely get more than 1k faction on Ancestral/Kaanai, and to win while heavily disadvantaged is a rare thing (anyone telling me otherwise is full of it frankly), its just not worth the effort.

I would like the duration of ancestral and kaanai to be severely reduced.
    In addition to that removing the momentum bonus on those maps altogether.
    But removing the maps entirely seems a bit unnessescary to me

i like them cuz they mean lots of extra faction for less work when I win in opposing deep over and over again.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    I posted a serious, legitimate suggestion in hopes that intelligent people would post their thoughts about it. Be critical, constructive, or take your brainlessness somewhere else.
    but your suggestion lacks understanding of AB period....you don't control the outcome of an AB map any more then if you roll a dice and happened to pick the right number. If someone made a thread about removing the prot line cause the "real" strategy is in healing prayers then should I respond to that intelligently too?

Err, the shrines inside the base can be captured and recaptured, it's just a bit harder to do, except if you've got a good team going, in which case you can capture and hold those shrines inside their base for quite some time.

Keep the extremes. The extra challenge is healthy. It promotes the idea that the Faction conflict is ongoing and changing daily. Also, if you remove two maps then we're down to three. Thumbs down to that.

I won a few Ancestral Lands maps in a row yesterday vs Kurzicks, so there's no saying it can't be done. The extra Faction is quite nice too.