PC Gaming News

Advance Wars Online, Days of Ruin

So any Americans here have Advance Wars: Days of Ruin yet? And how is it?

It seems absolutely awesome, and I'm prolly going to upgrade my DS with online play just for AWDoR. Finally some balance, with the new and revamped CO system and thankfully the dumping of the insanely OPed newer units like the Neotank. Plus, they've got bikes! I always wanted infantry with a longer movement range. And I love the new post apocalyptic look.
    Plus the soundtrack seems awesome (http://www.goear.com/listenwin.php?v=8d57960 <-- one of the CO's theme, legally uploaded afaik).

I played the original one and was amazed but I do not think I will play this one because I will not be purchasing a DS or even a Psp for that matter (no handhelds or nextgen main consoles for me, although a colleague of mine has the Wii so I come around and play it). Definitely sounds good though, I loved the concept when I heard about the original and it was one of the games I played most extensively on my GBA, I wonder if they will balance it or will simply allow OPed units like the Neotank to remain and allow everyone equal access to them!

GWOnline.Net Member Goldfish God's Avatar
    I always liked the old ones for the visual design. The new post apocalyptic look is off-putting (I've already played a fair share of post-apocalypse games).

Neotanks and those giant pipes were a bit too weird personally, and the bikes look like a nice new unit idea.

I have Advance Wars: Dual Strike, but I don't think I'll be picking up DoR.

While I am a big fan of strategy games like that, I prefer swords and spells rather than tanks and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    Definitely sounds good though, I loved the concept when I heard about the original and it was one of the games I played most extensively on my GBA, I wonder if they will balance it or will simply allow OPed units like the Neotank to remain and allow everyone equal access to them!
    They've kicked the Neotank thankfully.
    *looks up list*
    Fans will want to note these other changes and additions to the lineup:
    • Gone: Neotank and Megatank (streamlined down to one heavy-duty War Tank)
    • Gone: Piperunner (that's a good thing)
    • Gone: Black Boat (not so good...we'll miss the repair boat)
    • Gone: Stealth Bomber and Black Bomb
    • Added: Anti-Tank (a powerful artillery gun that can counterattack)
    • Added: Gunboat (a weak naval attack ship that can carry one foot soldier)
    • Added: War Tank (slower, more expensive, Medium Tank)
    • Added: Duster (an average single-propeller plane that can attack air and land units)
    • Added: Seaplane (cheap yet effective plane, can only be made by Carriers)
    • Changed: Battleship (can now make an indirect attack right after moving)
    • Changed: Carrier (can now produce a powerful new aircraft called the Seaplane)
    • Changed: APC (is now called the Rig and can make temporary airports and navy bases)
    So far, critics like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfish God View Post
    I always liked the old ones for the visual design. The new post apocalyptic look is off-putting (I've already played a fair share of post-apocalypse games)..
    I didn't exactly mind the design, but I prefer this one. It's a war, bubbly happy visual design really doesn't fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReZon
    While I am a big fan of strategy games like that, I prefer swords and spells rather than tanks and guns.
    Try Fire Emblem. Likewise awesome (I personally prefer AW's mechanics, which matter more to me than graphics).