PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

I Still Like Healing in PvE

I've been away from the game for a while. Reading some of the latest things in the monk forum, I see a lot of emphasis on protection/hybrid. It makes me laugh and shake my head with amusement.

My monk finished Prophecies and Factions with a skill bar that typically consisted of:

Word of Healing (E)
    Dwayna's Kiss
    Orison of Healing
    Healing Seed, or Healing Touch if I felt the need for a self-heal
    Vigorous Spirit, or sometimes Power Drain to help interrupt bosses
    Mend Ailment
    Remove Hex
    Rebirth

I was able to complete every mission with henches in both the campaigns with this. Not heroes, just the regular henches. The exceptions being Vizunah Square, The Eternal Grove, and Unwaking Waters. And that was mainly because, at the time, I knew some people to party with.

It suits my style. I never seem to run out of energy. I've tried some of the other hybrid builds and can't seem to get into them... May just need more practice (I give those hybrid/prot builds to the heroes, they seem much better at them than I am, now that I have Nightfall). I realize there are new skills and new ideas about what is "best," but this is the build I still feel the most comfortable with. It's like a comfy, old pair of shoes.

And what is up with all this "Don't use Superior Runes" talk? That same monk has always used 16 Healing, 13 Divine Favor and 485 HP.

500+ HP? Pfft... someone's trying to compensate for something.

Switching weapon sets? Hiding energy? Meh... give me a good old 20/20 Insightful Staff of Fortitude. That other stuff just complicates things.

Yes, I'm being slightly sarcastic.

I know... I know... things have changed and it's good to keep up with the times. I just think it's odd that there almost seems to be an attitude of "pure healing sucks" going on.

*sigh*

What must Dwayna think?

All I see is a whole bunch of skills that do exactly the same thing (make red bars go up) and no skills to negate damage in the first place, which is more efficient. I also think hybrid bars are just more fun to play and I can't imagine having less than ~600 health anymore. Oh, well. At least you have hex/condition removal and no Breeze :P

I also let interrupt classes interrupt bosses. Broad Head Arrow turns any caster boss into a push-over, since it'll turn your whole party into an interrupting machine. ^_^

i like to either heal or prot.
    when the party is 6 or more i allways go with another monk, and one of us is a pure healer, and the other one a protter.
    works great.

It depends a bit on you preferences to i think.

Play the way that suits you best.

in normal mode it doestn matter much if u have high health or not, but in hard mode high health makes sure the baddies wont go straight for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PukingDog View Post
    in normal mode it doestn matter much if u have high health or not, but in hard mode high health makes sure the baddies wont go straight for you.
    That makes sense. I have vanquished a few areas in Prophecies with my warrior and I did give my heroes around 525 HP, I think it was. I'm still getting used to the insignias. I've pretty much always gone for energy over the other mods, now I'm re-thinking that as I explore different things in building up the heroes I've got for my characters.

As far as only making red bars go up vs. preventing them going down, I usually find that Lina, Redemptor Karl/Seaguard Gita, and Kihm are capable of handling that quite well. And since most of my game time is spent with heroes and henches, I've gotten used to working with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukan View Post
    It makes me laugh and shake my head with amusement.
    I am glad you are having fun :P

I was able to complete every mission with henches in both the campaigns with this.
    Your build is good enough to deal with PvE content.

And what is up with all this "Don't use Superior Runes" talk? That same monk has always used 16 Healing, 13 Divine Favor and 485 HP. 500+ HP? Pfft... someone's trying to compensate for something.
    It is ok to use sup runes in PvE, but the sacrifice in health does not worth a few extra points in your output.

Switching weapon sets? Hiding energy? Meh... give me a good old 20/20 Insightful Staff of Fortitude. That other stuff just complicates things.
    Indeed, a multipurpose staff may be all that is needed for PvE.

I know... I know... things have changed and it's good to keep up with the times. I just think it's odd that there almost seems to be an attitude of "pure healing sucks" going on.
    It is not that pure healing sucks - hybrids are just significantly better because, just like in real life, prevention is much more effective than healing.

It suits my style. It's like a comfy, old pair of shoes.
    Overall, GW is about having fun. If you enjoy using your build, keep monking this way. Should your taste change someday, try other things :)

My monk finished Prophecies and Factions with a skill bar that typically consisted of:

Word of Healing (E)
    Dwayna's Kiss
    Orison of Healing
    Mend Ailment
    Remove Hex
    Rebirth
    That build is fine for PvE.
    And what is up with all this "Don't use Superior Runes" talk? That same monk has always used 16 Healing, 13 Divine Favor and 485 HP.

I hardly use superiors anymore, outside of vigors. The health loss isn't worth the +2 extra points over a minor.
    What happens when you do bottom out on your energy pool and are riding regen to get spells off? I personally have a few weapon sets on my monk, usually a -5E XX spear and a shield, +5E xx spear and a shield and a+5E XX spear and a +30 hp focus.

Tbh Prot has always always greater then Healing, since the potential of prot is unlimited, PS reduces damage to 10% of their max health, on a 300 damage hit, would you rather try to outheal the damage or use prot to prevent the damage?

I at all depends with health, if you can stay in the back lines like I try to do most of the time (with real players, impossible with henchies and heros) then low health isn't a prob cause I'm never in attack or spell range of foes.

I used full healing builds thru Prophcies, you really don't need that much prot in NM as you can heal thru the low damage output in almost all the area's. EotN and HM it becomes impossible to heal thru the high dmg output.
    Last edited by BlueHeaven; 25-01-2008 at 16:11.

I've been away from the game for a while. Reading some of the latest things in the monk forum, I see a lot of emphasis on protection/hybrid. It makes me laugh and shake my head with amusement.

Word of Healing (E)
    Dwayna's Kiss
    Orison of Healing
    Mend Ailment
    Remove Hex
    Rebirth

I was able to complete every mission with henches in both the campaigns with this. Not heroes, just the regular henches. The exceptions being Vizunah Square, The Eternal Grove, and Unwaking Waters. And that was mainly because, at the time, I knew some people to party with.

It suits my style. I never seem to run out of energy. I've tried some of the other hybrid builds and can't seem to get into them... May just need more practice (I give those hybrid/prot builds to the heroes, they seem much better at them than I am, now that I have Nightfall). I realize there are new skills and new ideas about what is "best," but this is the build I still feel the most comfortable with. It's like a comfy, old pair of shoes.

Yes, I'm being slightly sarcastic.

*sigh*

What must Dwayna think?
    And I managed to finish prophecies with two skills on my monk bar. So what. It's NM pve.

Now do it all in HM.

My monk finished Prophecies and Factions
    You are joking. At least I hope you are.
    A friend of mine played through Factions and got survivor with only Frenzy and Sprint as skills - that doesn't mean only taking these two skills is not completely stupid.

And when it comes to runes, you have 40 life less so your Orison (omg?) heals for 3 additional points. Well, you don't directly die from that, especially while "finishing Prophecies and Factions", but even dying once from it seems a waste somehow.
    Play the real game, meaning PvP or Hard Mode and let us know how much damage you can heal and especially for how long.

Or you could finish Nightfall in Normal Mode. Try putting 12 points in sword mastery, 12 in Healing and kick butt with a Fiery Dragon Sword and Mending.

You will prevail sooner or later, so it must be a good idea.
    Last edited by Metafrank; 25-01-2008 at 23:27.