PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PvE Ranger Help

PvE Ranger Help

Hey i'm a returning level 20 ranger, just got back into the game and i've been looking around at trying to find a good PvE build.

I quit playing using a basic prophecies/factions Barrage build which worked but got annoying fast in certain situations.

Barrage, Whirling Defence, Favorable winds primarily, and i started switching through a bunch of buffs like Judges Insight, Conjure Fire, and tried a few ritualist and necromancer combos.

I'd like to get some suggestions on some of the better builds to use with PvE. I usually just take henchies unless playing with some friends. I liked the concept of Barrage but i hear that is more of UW and PvP so perhaps something better?

Any help is appreciated. Stats, skills, weapon mods and profession is appreciated.

I don't want anyone to get into any debates on what builds are the best so i'd like just opinions.

Thanks

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    Barrage is nice with Splinter wep. and a good tank to hold aggro...but I prefer the following:

Prepared shot
    Prep of choice(I use RtW)
    needling shot
    D-shot
    Savage shot
    Rez
    Stance/utility ( I like Lightning Reflexes, but whatever you prefer works)
    Stance/utility

for Utilities, I have been running "Fall back!" and "Go For the Eyes!" from command line Paragon.
    I've been using this for Vanquishing along with the triple necro team build, but I replaced the N/rt with a LoD monk...seems to work good enough.

15^50, +30, Zealous Flatbow works best IMHO
    10 Command
    13 Exp. (11+2)
    14 Marks (10+3+1)

I know...a Sup. AND a Major Rune- I must be crazy
    Last edited by Nochtflamir; 26-01-2008 at 22:34.

not bad, may i just interject and say that i don't have Eye of the north or Nightfall just yet, so anything factions or prophecies would be prefered.

zealous is probably the best string to use am i correct?

Zealous is best used with Barrage where the energy return can net you a gain. Away from Barrage look into Elemental strings, Poisoners or Vampiric.

Barrage is used in Barrage groups, PvE. So several rangers benefiting from an Orders necro. Which would work in the Tombs, FoW, Sorrow's Furnace, and a few other endgame areas. Still it has a it's place as a stand alone in groups, usually as Splinter/Barrage.

Don't run Barrage. Only do that while farming with other people, and even then it's not that great. If you want AoE damage, roll an Ele.

If you're looking for a PvE build that works well in most situations, and with only Prophecies and Factions to pick from, use this:

11 Expertise
    10 Marks
    10 Wilderness
    1 Healing/Prot (see below)
    (plus whatever minor runes)

Savage Shot
    Distracting Shot
    Broad Head Arrow [E]
    Apply Poison
    Lightning Reflexes
    Troll Unguent
    Antidote Signet
    Resurrection Chant/Rebirth (depending on the area/mission)

Self explanatory, but if someone doesn't know:
    Savage and Distracting are interrupts, you interrupt things. You aren't a real Ranger if you don't interrupt things. Broad Head for dangerous casters or healers. Apply Poison because it's awesome. Lightning Reflexes, because it's arguably the best stance a Ranger has (since you don't have Natural Stride), and you can use it to speed up attacks against a Dazed foe. Troll is for minor healing if necessary, but shouldn't be needed too often. Antidote Signet for removing Blind mostly, with the addition of two other conditions (since you don't have Mending Touch). And the hard res, since the Ranger should be the last person on a team to die (unless they suck).

It's not original, but it works wonders.

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilme View Post
    Self explanatory, but if someone doesn't know:
    Savage and Distracting are interrupts, you interrupt things. You aren't a real Ranger if you don't interrupt things. Broad Head for dangerous casters or healers. Apply Poison because it's awesome. Lightning Reflexes, because it's arguably the best stance a Ranger has (since you don't have Natural Stride), and you can use it to speed up attacks against a Dazed foe. Troll is for minor healing if necessary, but shouldn't be needed too often. Antidote Signet for removing Blind mostly, with the addition of two other conditions (since you don't have Mending Touch). And the hard res, since the Ranger should be the last person on a team to die (unless they suck).

It's not original, but it works wonders.

Bold- I don't agree, this may be true for PvP, but there are different ways to play a ranger in PvE, ie:trapper. I only bring BHA if requested in a pug, or if there is a tough monk/ele boss that I have to fight, anything else you can do fine with D-shot and savage.

Italic- it's ok, but I bring a MM necro with Death Nova( I know now that OP doesn't have hero access) still, apply poison is meh.

Don't want to start a fight, but until someone shows me that AP is 100% better than any other prep, I am gonna run with RtW- it lets me use a flatbow without crazy arcing( hitting from outside aggro) + adds damage WITHOUT forcing points in Wilderness that I wouldn't otherwise use.

So kilme, that should work with most situations, like using mainly henchmen, or even with others? What type of show should i use with that build?

I'm guessing you meant "bow" instead of "Show". I'll answer the question regarding the bow :P
    You'll be needing any Poisonous/Silencing Recurve bow of Fortitude.
    Which is, a Recurve type of bow, which has a Poisoning +33% mod or Daze +33% mod (whichever you prefer).
    Also, you'll need a fortitude mod, which can be +30 Health or +29.

Damn did I actually say show? wow, haha yeah i meant bow, wow do I feel stupid.

Thanks for all the help, that build looks like a solid build after taking a closer look at it. I really appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger Azrael View Post
    I'm guessing you meant "bow" instead of "Show". I'll answer the question regarding the bow :P
    You'll be needing any Poisonous/Silencing Recurve bow of Fortitude.
    Which is, a Recurve type of bow, which has a Poisoning +33% mod or Daze +33% mod (whichever you prefer).
    Also, you'll need a fortitude mod, which can be +30 Health or +29.
    Yeah that, definitely a Recurve. Personally I'd recommend the Daze mod, if you're going to be using Apply Poison that is. Since with AP you're constantly reapplying it, lengthening its duration doesn't help much. Also, if you can't find a Fortitude mod, a Defense mod works just as well (armor +5 vs all that is).

And yes, this build works anywhere really. If you happen to come across any area with non-fleshies (immune to poison) then you can switch AP out for something else. You can't go wrong with Read the Wind.