PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monk practise

GWOnline.Net Member

Monk practise

I have a feeling this is a maybe useless question, but I am gonna ask it anyway

Is there any other way to gain some monking practise for GvG other than playing GvG?

The guild I am in is just starting off with GvG and we don't get much opportunity to play more than once a week. I am filling one of the monk positions in this team.
    Since I've got more time than the others I am wondering if there is any way I can get some practise on my own, or with just a few others.

I can't help it, eventho I am still learning to play a PvP monk ...I'm now hooked to GvG

Many thanks for any response made

Quote Originally Posted by cearah View Post
    I have a feeling this is a maybe useless question, but I am gonna ask it anyway

Is there any other way to gain some monking practise for GvG other than playing GvG?

The guild I am in is just starting off with GvG and we don't get much opportunity to play more than once a week. I am filling one of the monk positions in this team.
    Since I've got more time than the others I am wondering if there is any way I can get some practise on my own, or with just a few others.

I can't help it, eventho I am still learning to play a PvP monk ...I'm now hooked to GvG

Many thanks for any response made
    While GVG is unique, you can sharpen your monking skills in any of the other pvp arena before jumping into gvg.
    Go to RA, TA and HA.
    only take a build similar to or even the same as you would take to gvg.

You can even practice GvG in PvE!! Just keep your mouse pointer off the party menu and watch the field.

But really...GvG is more about communication and team work than your individual skill. You can't chain aegis without good communication.

To work on your own abilities, TA, and even RA isn't actually a bad place to start. You'll have to try to keep idiots alive, and you'll have to deal with alot of random bull**** builds being used against you. Run a prot bar or a typical gvg woh bar or something, and take it into RA. After you've gotten enough practice solo monking, do some HA where you can learn communication and what makes dual monking different.

GWOnline.Net Member
    ty for the tips ... Ye I started again in RA atm.

Forgot how much fun that can be ^^ even if only for the warriors who charge off across the map and are surprised you couldn't heal them lol

I noticed how hard it is to work together with another monk, do you guys happen to have some tips how to smooth the cooperation between me and him?
    Any special things monks should think off i mean.
    'Cause when it comes down to communicating it is still a bit of a chaos on TS and i notice that the monks aren't really deemed important enough to be heard.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Depending on which build you're monking as, you can set up a skirmish for some spike catching practice. Have a full team minus monks on one side, and 2 or so monks on the other side with some heroes. Set heroes to passive so they don't attack. Spike team builds up on random targets, and then get to practice spiking a picked target. The monks have to maintain healing for a while and be able to break off fast enough to catch the spike.

I thought by now the best way would be to do scrim. against your alliance guilds.

But really...GvG is more about communication and team work than your individual skill. You can't chain aegis without good communication.
    That is how it started as I never chain it.

Stick to "TA" with ur guildies mate.

Quote Originally Posted by cearah View Post
    'Cause when it comes down to communicating it is still a bit of a chaos on TS and i notice that the monks aren't really deemed important enough to be heard.

I hope that will change. After all its you who allow all pushes and demand retreats to better positional or pressure reliefing place (If your strat caller doesn't seem to do so already ).
    Make sure everyone knows why to listen your monks.
    There is much less failing in games where everyone knows whats hindering the monks and act to stop it. Be it mesmer, warriors, positioning or energy problems.

To solve your problem. Guesting to other guilds seems to be the only option IMO.
    You don't face many balanced or split builds in HA iirc ^^ so it's not worth it. Maybe if you'd get into ranked ha teams similar to your guilds skill level. Thats usually not easy since the team might be r6+ and you only have r4 or something . Mmhh on the other hand HA might teach some ability to endure pressure.. and to communicate.

Well this is just something to think about: I'm not saying this is how it is; I'm saying how I feel it is. Please tell me if my post is a failure.

A good excercise is to spec a match with a monk that you respect. They can point things out that you might miss. An even better extension of this is to let that person (somehow) spec a match of you monking. This way, the advice becomes personal.

I've had a few top level monks observe me play and give me tips that way, it really helps out.