PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monk practise

GWOnline.Net Member
    The best advice I ever remember getting was to get our monks to do RA with the party menu turned off. Our monks did that for a week on and off mainly, they became godlike. It teaches you so much about watching the field. Now if only the rest of the team could get better...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Bear View Post
    The best advice I ever remember getting was to get our monks to do RA with the party menu turned off. Our monks did that for a week on and off mainly, they became godlike. It teaches you so much about watching the field. Now if only the rest of the team could get better...
    Another exercise that is really good is actually to do this in AB as well. In AB, there are more people to heal and watch. It really boosts your battlefield awareness healing everyone you run into. Plus, AB is a little bit more forgiving because it is larger.

How to get better: Get good at Warcraft 3 where you can dominate a normal computer player, then go play Guild Wars.

GWOnline.Net Member
    a way to get better is to just go into HA, or TA, ta is a better way than in RA because you get more communication and vent, just watch the field and put prots on whoever is about to get spiked and be ready for anything, just remember to prot more than u heal and manage ur energy

One of the things a few of our members are experimenting with and encourage is to resize your skillbar down to discourage your want to click skills. Ideally, a monk should only be using mouse clicking to move. This can be overwhelming to a new monk player, especially since visual cues are key to effective anti-spike protection; balancing camera angle and motion is something that comes with time.

With clicking devoted to movement, a monk then relies on keypresses for all skill operations.

I can't claim to be one of the players who has an ideal key layout for monking, but it is really more common than you would think.

One more thing: Become very aquanted with your CANCEL ACTION button. It's defaulted to escape, but ideally you want it somewhere that is comfortable for you to hit it at all times. It is your panic button. It is the button that allows you to play with the minds of rangers and mesmers. Most importantly, it is the button that allows you to react to a change in the battle that may just spare your team an expensive downtime.

[edit]

One other thing we do (or used to do) is simulate splits in scrimmages. Three-on-three with actual guild bases. This really helps a monk know where his NPCs are and to not panic so much when faced with a similar situation in a game. It's vital (or used to be vital) that the monk know where his NPCs are so that he can keep them alive.
    Last edited by Spazzer; 17-08-2008 at 03:51.

That's some good advice. Key bindings.

I find that with comfortable key bindings and skill bar layout I can watch what's going on on my screen and concentrate on the game without having to glance at the keyboard.

Keys 6-8 are awkward to reach imo so I have skills 6-8 bound to Q, E and R.

Skill cancel is bound to Tab. Tab is a big fat key that's easy to hit in a real hurry.

5 a bit of a reach on the keyboard too, so I put a skill there that I can afford to take my time with.

On the practice front, GvG has quite large maps and a bunch of NPCs to be aware of, so you should practice in AB and FA too. You'll have players and NPC allies to keep alive that won't be in your party window, forcing you to watch what's going on and react appropriately. You'll also have far more complex things going on and decisions to make than in TA or RA, due to more players, NPCs and splitting.

Bring 3 Heroes and 4 henchies into HA, enter map, then keep the entire team alive by yourself as long as possible, it teaches you energy management, who to heal/prot at what times and who to ignore for a while if they are in no immediate danger.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

[Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknicrofia View Post
    Bring 3 Heroes and 4 henchies into HA
    You can't.

^ hahaha paper theory advice ftw!!

play gvg with 2 overextending, overfrenzying wars, 3 midliners who don't know the meaning of "kiting", and a runner who never bothers to communicate.. we're actually looking for guests!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Bear View Post
    I remember how bar watching wasted so many of us. Great suggestion there, IMO. Much of PvP is about positioning (Sorry if you feel I am wrong). So, healing a war who has over extended is uncool but, its also uncool if the monk is staying far back (which you do a LOT in PvE). Hence, watching the battlefield helps a LOT in positioning yourself and improves your capability than watching the bars.

2 cents..hardly spent.
    Vela - IGN: Vela Iviana [Club]

Where man in all his truest glory lives,
    And nature's face is exquisitely sweet;
    For those fair climes I heave impatient sigh,
    There let me live and there let me die.