PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monk practise

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Combine two of the good old ones.
    Monking in arenas with no party bar and using a build consisting of guardian, infuse, healing touch, remove hex and mend ailment.
    I know that's outdated and it won't work as well for practice as it once would. But you get the idea.
    You have some skills that aren't the best, but all have a single purpose.
    It teaches you when you need to do what to survive.
    The key element is that you only need to survive, not keep every team member at full health and all conditions and hexes off.

Why is field watching better then bar watching? I mean obviously you can see things coming, but doesn't seem worth it IMO...

Now, don't rant me on this "^^ I am just curious to the full explination of field watching, since me as a PvE Monk I really like those red bars. (I've be wanting to get into PvP for quite some time now)

Because proactive play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reactive play

There is simply no way you can prevent any damage by looking at silly bars going forth and back and soon you'll have zero energy because damage will always be higher than what can simply be powerhealed.
    Surely someone will explain it more in depth, I'm not in the mood for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    Because proactive play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reactive play

There is simply no way you can prevent any damage by looking at silly bars going forth and back and soon you'll have zero energy because damage will always be higher than what can simply be powerhealed.
    Surely someone will explain it more in depth, I'm not in the mood for it now.
    I want to say I hate you for this. :P

First a video example!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AM-up253A
    Watch at 1:15, you'll see the warrior running at me and I respond by protting myself with guardian before he lands a single hit. Since that's a boon prot bar, that's 7-9 seconds of guardian, he was using an axe and I think an IAS. Axe under ias is one attack every .665 seconds, so 10 attacks, and assuming perfect numbers 5 blocked attacks (it could be more, it could be less due to the nature of evaluating each chance on attack)

Average damager from an axe is we'll say about 35 so
    35*5=175 that's of course assuming no attack skills, which would make the numbers even higher if it were to block, say an eviscerate.

(35*10)-(35*5)=175 Damage taken.
    600HP-175=425 Health Remaining.

Now, let's say you try to reactively prot, and you notice the bar going down after 2 hits. You then reactively prot him and block the same 175

(35*2)+(35*10)-(35*5)=245 Damage taken
    600HP-245= 355 Health Remaining.

Now, let's take a better example of spirit bond. (I don't have any video links of this, sorry :P)

Spirit bond heals for 96 HP/hit for things over 60. It's anti-spike. Now this is oversimplifying things but let's say that there's 7 hits at 100hp each.

In axample A you were being proactive and watched the battefield, spiritbonding before it all hit.

(7*100)-(7*92)=56 Damage taken.
    600HP-56= 544 Health Remaining.

In example B you noticed packets coming off after 3 hits

(7*100)-(4*92)=332 Damage Taken.
    600HP-332= 268 Health Remaining.

Now in example A, your done. He's fine sitting at 50hp under max no need to top him off until they pressure him some more.

In example B, you have o red bar him. Leaving someone under half health like that is asking for a spike so in example B you spent 10e on spirit bond and another 5e on say gift or word of healing.

Another great example is RoF, knowing their about to eviscerate (because the target usually gets shocked) you can throw an rof and catch that mitigating pretty much all of it. If you were redbarring you would see a small decrease in their health and wouldn't think much of it.

So in general, Proactive play will lead to better effeciency and less stress on your energy in addition your melee will be happy as they get to frenzy in casters faces because they aren't dead.
    Last edited by Ryuujinx; 06-11-2008 at 06:55.

Allright. Well yes that explains, but to "see" those spikes or attacks coming do require some practice, I suppose.

And another thing, you cant watch 7 charcters at the same time, how do you solve that?

Good way to practice is to heal people outside your team in AB. Shift click and hold control to select other allies, and essentially just follow warriors. Most spikes are going to have warrior on them.

Also, protting is more energy efficient than healing, so proactive monking will almost always ensure that you make the most of your energy.

Watching 7 people is definitely not impossible. people do it every day. Practice of course is needed, but that's logical.
    Mistakes will be made both because of faults on your own side and because the other team will be trying to force those same mistakes.

Go practice.

So I should be ABing this weekend (preferrably with party screen off?) and trying to heal everyone.

I'll try

That'll be good practice yes.