PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mobbing Needs to Stop!!

I think the problem with AB as it stand is all people want to do is mob - the idea is to capture all the shrines to win - you get all of them and keep them then you win - it is an easier win than running inot a mob like some people do.

I think there should be an AB training area - so people don't come in totally green.

They should redo the arenas or change them to make the strategy more clear.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Isn't there an overview of the area when you enter the battlefield that tells you what you're supposed to be doing? It really isn't rocket science.
    And I understand that there are people who go in there to kill rather than cap, hell, even I get tunnel vision for the kill every now and then until the red ping wakes me up :P

You want to stop human nature? Good luck with that...

Not change human nature but make people understand that it is not the kill that counts but the cap. Maybe add extra faction for each capture - hmm - that may not be a bad idea.

see a mob .. dispatch some earth tanks .. use running skills and cap while mob is bashing on dummy .. total win .. will disgust anyone from mobbing .. repeat over and over .. problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by botrytis View Post
    Not change human nature but make people understand that it is not the kill that counts but the cap. Maybe add extra faction for each capture - hmm - that may not be a bad idea.
    While mobbing is bad, kills still count for probably close to a half of a team's score.
    Try not to die too much.

Quote Originally Posted by botrytis View Post
    Not change human nature but make people understand that it is not the kill that counts but the cap.
    Actually it's both; kill and cap.

For example your team is heading to an opposing team's shrine, the opposing team is doing the same thing only heading to your shrine. You have two options: you ether head straight for the shrine or you attack the opposing team. Here is what likely happens for both scenarios:

If you head straight for the shrine, you will have least amount of resistance possible and are most likely able to achieve victory over that shrine easily. However, the opposing team also has the same situation at your shrine. Chances are they will cap just as easily.

If you head for the fight, you have a chance of wiping out that force (getting a few points in the process) and then able to easily cap their shrine, all while defending yours in the process. Obviously this strategy has more rewards but is also more risky since the opposing force could potentially kill your team off.

So how do you know when to make the right call? You have to determine the skill of the force you are facing to the skill of your team. For example, if you are running an all nuker team, chances are you don't want to get into that fight. However, if you are running something that works off of each other, you would want to at least judge the playing ability of the opposing force. If you think you can beat them, then go for it.

Long story short, only fight in battles that you can win.

-------------------------

However, if someone tries to pick a fight with you and you don't want that to happen, it is strongly advised to fall back to the nearest shrine that is yours. They offer a great deal of advantage when taking on an opposing squad. This is offset by the fact that you are the furthest away from any opposing shrine as well. This means that you will have a longer trek in order to get back into the game but at least your team isn't dead.

Overall its all a matter of good judgment.

Maybe add extra faction for each capture - hmm - that may not be a bad idea.
    What would be nice to have is separate teams but working towards the same goal. For example, a blue, yellow, and purple team all on the kurzick/luxon side. Obviously it would all just be red to the opposing force though. This way, not everyone can see you issue orders to your specific 4 man team (limits mobbing) but still have to work together in order to acheive the same goal. Not to mention, it will be easier for people to keep track of where their party is.
    Last edited by Offatwork; 05-09-2008 at 08:38.

AB is fun but I can't take this kind of "PvP" serious. Most of the time I play fun builds that are nowhere near being most effective against META builds and still kill more than half of the opponents without breaking a sweat.
    The level of unskilled players is enormous and the trashtalk meter can't scale it as it reaches much more than the maximum in "all"- and "team"-chat.

If the opponents think that mobbing is the strategy to win. Why not. If my side decides to mob? I will look into the other direcion and kill something my way. Afterall I want to have fun. Also I don't care on what side I play, got 700K Kurzick and 1.800k Luxon now (including some FFF).

Just do your thing or start forming groups that have a "team"-build.

Quote Originally Posted by Ate of DK View Post
    AB is fun but I can't take this kind of "PvP" serious. Most of the time I play fun builds that are nowhere near being most effective against META builds and still kill more than half of the opponents without breaking a sweat.
    The level of unskilled players is enormous and the trashtalk meter can't scale it as it reaches much more than the maximum in "all"- and "team"-chat.

If the opponents think that mobbing is the strategy to win. Why not. If my side decides to mob? I will look into the other direcion and kill something my way. Afterall I want to have fun. Also I don't care on what side I play, got 700K Kurzick and 1.800k Luxon now (including some FFF).

Just do your thing or start forming groups that have a "team"-build.
    yes. oh yes. dam rite!

AB is a "fun" arena and is not meant for serious play. the most you can hope for on a team is a decent monk and players who will actually stay together. it's a relaxing atmosphere and easy to handle even on 3 beers. if you want something more serious try HA or if your guild is into it, GvG. but leave AB the way it is. "PvP Lite" i mean, where else can you flash your wolf and have it mean so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Betty View Post
    "PvP Lite" i mean, where else can you flash your wolf and have it mean so much?
    Not in AB, you can't.
    Without a good faction allegiance rank, an HA or GvG rank means only that you are better than some other "Canthan Explorer". An experienced AB player would be still much better at AB.

Unless, of course, playing "for fun" means you don't mind losing.