PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

gw2: class speculation

yeh, its in the lore forum, and i put it here because i have a lore basis in my reasoning,

I personaly think the classes will stay the same in gw2, mainly due to the fact that throughout most of GW history, the current classes have been there human-wise, one of the first canthan emperors was referanced to be a warrior-monk as a example, and i find it silly that we could get completly differnt classes in name for gw2 (i find it quite feasable that many base mechanics might get tweaked or worked on for gw2 classes, but the names will remain)

well there has been ancient dervish npcs sooo dervishes might be still in cause we've heard of 'sith' type sunspears

Ok, I am being tolerant of this thread for now. Please keep comments in a lore context, I do not want any comments like:

"If class X is missing from GW2, I am going to kill myself with a butterknife"

"Class X is stupid and I hope is dropped"

Simply, if you think a class is going to be dropped from GW2, or retained, give your reasons for thinking so based on evidence.

I suspect the paragons will survive because of Kormir and will spread with her influence. However, since Elona will be cut off, it is possible that maybe they will not initially be available.

However, because of the Vanguard, I suspect assassins will be well established in Tyria~Ascalon. Assassins seem to be well established in Eye of the North, even more so than paragons, dervishes and ritualists outside of core classes.

In this case id like to remind you that you have to separate between lore and gamemecanics.
    Like with White Mantle Ritualists.
    So if lore states that Turai Ossa was a great warrior, thats how it is lorewise, even if gamemechanics list his "Profession" as an "Knight" in a hypotetical GW3 BMP...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidri View Post
    Ok, I am being tolerant of this thread for now. Please keep comments in a lore context, I do not want any comments like:

"If class X is missing from GW2, I am going to kill myself with a butterknife"

"Class X is stupid and I hope is dropped"

Simply, if you think a class is going to be dropped from GW2, or retained, give your reasons for thinking so based on evidence.
    My thoughts precisely. Although my original thoughts were to be hands-off and observe how the conversation went and intervene when necessary. As to what La Jaffa said, I do think that we may see Dervishes and Paragons in Tyria through the training of the Order of the Whispers.

Which will be rather interesting as it will mean an expedition into the Shiverpeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidri View Post
    I suspect the paragons will survive because of Kormir and will spread with her influence. However, since Elona will be cut off, it is possible that maybe they will not initially be available.
    Elona doesn't get cut off until several years after Kormir's Ascension, which would give enough time for people to spread out her teachings. That said, it doesn't mean Paragons strictly follow Kormir. I believe they follow Balthazar as well.

From a strict Lore point of view, all the current classes could come back in GW2, though some may undergo some changes for gameplay reasons.
    From a company's point, it'd be more lucrative to expand the amount of classes in new expansions. Which they could also explain using Lore. Even though Assassins are pretty much available in EotN in the Vanguard and the Charr, it could be the Vanguard ones were trained in Shing Jea, which would be cut off at the time. Anton is selfstudied I think, so Sins could be cut out. Ritualists are pretty rare already, even in EotN. Only a few Charr and a species of Monkeys use Rit Skills.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    Elona doesn't get cut off until several years after Kormir's Ascension, which would give enough time for people to spread out her teachings. That said, it doesn't mean Paragons strictly follow Kormir. I believe they follow Balthazar as well.

From a strict Lore point of view, all the current classes could come back in GW2, though some may undergo some changes for gameplay reasons.
    From a company's point, it'd be more lucrative to expand the amount of classes in new expansions. Which they could also explain using Lore. Even though Assassins are pretty much available in EotN in the Vanguard and the Charr, it could be the Vanguard ones were trained in Shing Jea, which would be cut off at the time. Anton is selfstudied I think, so Sins could be cut out. Ritualists are pretty rare already, even in EotN. Only a few Charr and a species of Monkeys use Rit Skills.

Wel, evry one is a assasin realy, it just means to kill some one very Quick..
    there are Warriors who Pray to melandru and Lyssa and things
    so a dervish or ranger could be followers of dwayna and Balthazar and lyssa
    they dont realy need to worship one god from what there profession is..
    And i think that assasins will be in GW2
    because there are Xunlai agents and travelers from cantha that where ''cut off'' from there homeland (Cantha) because of the rising of Orr.
    So assasins and Ritualist will be around in Tyria over 250 Years, but not as many as in Cantha, and the tengu are driven out of cantha so they can learn people the art of assasins two.

Quote Originally Posted by La Jaffa View Post
    And i think that assasins will be in GW2
    because there are Xunlai agents and travelers from cantha that where ''cut off'' from there homeland (Cantha) because of the rising of Orr.
    So assasins and Ritualist will be around in Tyria over 250 Years, but not as many as in Cantha, and the tengu are driven out of cantha so they can learn people the art of assasins two.
    Not really. Xunlai Agents cut off from Cantha may just as have set up a Tyrian Branch, or the Canthan Emperor may have respected the neutrality of Xunlai as bankers and allowed them to continue their operations. After all, Xunlai economy would mean it improves the Canthan economy as well. Also, the presence of the Xunlai Agents in no way proves Sins will be in GW2. Xunlai Agents were in GW:P, but no Sins or Rits were available at the time.
    I honestly doubt the Tengu would be willing to teach Assassin and Ritualist skills after getting pushed out of Cantha. The current peace between Humans and Tengu in Shing Jea is a very fragile one. Odds are that if any of the Angchu or Sensali survived getting pushed out and made it to Tyria/Elona, they'd be willing to be friends with them. They'll probably join forces with the local Tengu, all of which are (extremely) hostile towards humans.

As for classes worshipping other Gods, technically speaking, everyone worships every God. Dervishes and Eles are known to worship every one of them anyway. However, classes do have a God as a representative. Warriors bow to Balthazar. Rangers and Earth Eles bow to Melandru, etc. Kormir on the other hand represents no class as of yet. So, even though Kormir's teachings and knowledge may have been widespread by the time of GW2, it doesn't mean that Paragons (most likely class to be represented by them, mostly since they don't have a patron yet) are going to be available. Basically, if it's a Warrior worshipping Lyssa, he needs to change his profession, or is going from a roleplaying point of view, which isn't official lorewise.

As for everyone being an assassin, I'm gonna ignore that because I'd probaly flame too hard on that one...

Lore and financial reasons aside, I think Sins are the most likely class to get cut out of GW2. They're currently really bothersome balancewise (Shadowstepping, Glass Canon, ...). There's too many problems with Sins as is, without looking at the possible Racial benefits, and ANet has 2 decent reasons not to put them in GW2 directly (money+lore).

Let's also not forget that ANet may be "fusing" classes together into one. Although continuing with the current sets will be the most likely situation, safe a few revamps due to Balance (likely without an explanation lorewise...).

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    From a lore point of view, there are esveral "sub-classes" availabe now, that could be re-worked for a GW2 character class:

Warrior => (Jade) Knight, (White Mantle) Crusaders, Axeman etc.
    Monk => Cleric, Shaman, (AmFah) Healer

A "rogue" class could replace the Assassin or/and Ranger or be a "Corsair"

They either have to be very generic as in GW or very special (so they can not be compared to WoW, D&D etc.)
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Paragons and Dervishes are too location-specific. Those who venture out of Elona are either on special missions or suffering from wanderlust.