PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Yes, I have played WoW for quite some time, so I'm not just bashing on it for fun.

I think it's a good game, but I found it rather repetitive (especially the skill system, where as a Warlock, I should only use a few skills and stay away from the other skills, lest I wanted to be kicked from a party for being a noob). I've got to hand it to Blizzard that they can make very addictive games, and there certainly is quality to be found in WoW. But not for a second have I had real fun in that game.

As Zalis said, personal preference.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Yeah, personal preference, but it still boggles my mind that someone can prefer the riveting excitement of gw pve.

And by excitement, I mean, pretty sure someone on life support could beat the game.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

One of our clients is putting a MS Tag on their ad. I hadn't seen them before, but why would you use those instead of the ubiquitous QR that everyone can already scan?

/edit/
    Seems like they're recognized really quickly by their scanning app. Maybe that's why.
    Last edited by Zalis; 04-04-2012 at 14:54.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Couple of reasons:
    1- Not everyone has a smartphone. It's easy to forget that when almost everyone you know has a phone that can scan QR codes, but, depending on what you read, not even 50% of people have a smartphone.
    2- Only like 6% of mobile people scan QR codes.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    First time I've heard of those. And RD, I don't see how they would be more easily scannable (besides being faster, if Zalis is right) than QR codes. Not that I almost ever scan them, like you pointed out.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Well, they're new. So the thought process is probably "Hey, this is new, let's test it since we have data saying QR codes don't really work."

I don't have a smart phone, and my iPod Touch is old enough to not even have a camera. So, I'm not in the crowd to be scanning anyway... I'm just saying that QR codes are the most common, so why not use those? It seems like they're a MS thing, maybe focusing on Windows Phones? My coworker found an app to scan them on his Droid, but still. The client is Bechtel, so I guess they're big enough that it could be a test.

It's like handing out CDs or flash drives with information that somehow only works on Linux. Most people won't be able to use it.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I dunno who Bechtel is, but welcome to advertising, Zalis. Client gets something in their head, you have to execute.

What probably happened is Microsoft had a lunch with Bechtel's marketing manager's boss and told them about this awesome new MS Tag that scans faster than QR codes and is going to replace them in a year, since QR codes haven't been adopted by most consumers. Since the app allows users to scan QR codes, too, it'll be easy for consumers to switch over.
    They also probably made all the stuff that QR codes can do, too, sound like it's exclusive to MS Tags.

That's what sales people do.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    MS Tags:

They can be colored, use NFC, can customize the url based on smartphone IDs, have the ability to execute commands on their own rather than just displaying a browser link (such as downloading apps or calling a number), and some other boring crap about APIs or something.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Yeah. Some of our bigger clients have been using QRs on their larger ads for a while now, but it just seems odd in this case. It confused us, and it's going to confuse readers even more. I guess someone has to start using it, though, if it's ever going to become common.