PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Mabinogi - New MMO Released

Not so much new as it has been translated and released in North America, finally.

Mabinogi!

It's free to play, with extras available via subscription, although the free play isn't that limiting. At the very least, you'll know whether or not you'd want to spend money on it before you even have to worry about it, which you don't.

I'll comment more later, I have to go to sleep right now, so discuss it and stuff.

And here's a video from an in-game musical composer (one of the skills available).

Bleach songs. I figure there's enough Bleach fans here to make that apt.

Anyways, check it out if you haven't, comment if you have, or just read if you don't feel like it.

Ah cool, another asian free MMO's. They are actually pretty cool, just that 99.9% of them are grindfests.
    Even though I'm not into anime it looks pretty cute.
    I'm more into real-time graphics though such as those in Perfect World or Rappelz.

Quote Originally Posted by TaSTY View Post
    Ah cool, another asian free MMO's. They are actually pretty cool, just that 99.9% of them are grindfests.
    Lol, no arguing there. This is pretty good, though. I'm on the verge of actually paying. I'll probably subscribe later today. Gasp.

Iad Check this out later.

anybody play fallensword and wouldn't mind giving us a few tips

So, what's this game like? I've been looking for something to play since I'm bored of GW and have been playing console games for a few months and getting bored with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayren View Post
    So, what's this game like? I've been looking for something to play since I'm bored of GW and have been playing console games for a few months and getting bored with them.
    yeah I would like to know this also.
    is there a review for this game?

looks like a third party animu mmo. Something with 80% of its player under the 12 year old and endless grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayren View Post
    So, what's this game like?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabinogi_(game)

Quote Originally Posted by Tro View Post
    is there a review for this game?
    http://forum.mmosite.com/topics/175/.../30/135,1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blastsniper View Post
    looks like a third party animu mmo. Something with 80% of its player under the 12 year old and endless grinding.
    I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of the uninformed bias of your reply, but it's specifically designed to help avoid grinding. I guess you read all the way up to "Korean" before posting.

By the way, if you want a game with 80% of its players under 12, maybe you should try Guild Wars. You know, the game parents buy their kids because it doesn't have a subscription.
    Last edited by Azrael STX; 07-04-2008 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael STX View Post
    I don't know how my link got ****ed up.

Actually, it did it again. Apparently it cuts off right parentheses if you don't manually fix it.
    Last edited by Azrael STX; 08-04-2008 at 00:56.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    I've been playing this for a little bit now, and it's pretty fun. Way different from GW, obviously.

Combat is definitely not the sole focus, although it's got a pretty intriguing system. More on that later though.

There's all sorts of life skills, like harvesting and crafting, where you harvest let's say - wool to make yarn, weave yarn to make fabric, and then go buy a pattern to make a garment out of it. All the harvesting and crafting skills are tied to one passive skill called production mastery.

Now, the way you increase your knowledge or rank in skills is by...*gasp!* using them. In order to advance to the next level you have to meet a number of conditions. For example, the skill Counterattack. The conditions will be: Successfully use the skill 20 times. Successfully repell an enemy attack using Counterattack 10 times. Learn from an enemy Counterattack 5 times. (Means you have to let them use it on you.)

In that way vein you can also train your Production Mastery or Magic Mastery skill, by harvesting/crafting and using magic.

There's no classes per say, you develop the skills you want to, as you want to. You're allowed to wear titles and items that boost your attributes in the direction you want - also the kinds of skills you use will boost your attributes - use a lot of magic, intelligence goes up. Etc.

So if you don't want to go and beat the crap out of populations of monsters in those randomly generated dungeons, you can stay in town and use your life skills: egg gathering, sheep shearing, yada yada.

You get experience from using skills, doing quests, and part-time jobs. (Quests where you don't have to leave the safe confines of the town.)

It's sweet, and I'm enjoying it. I just wish magic lessons weren't so freaking expensive! >_<;;