PC Gaming News

Question X-pacs or Campaigns in Guild Wars 2

I wonder what format they will select for Guild Wars 2.

in the original GW, what were the pros and Cons of X-pac compared to the Campaigns?

Uhmmm...

Campaigns:

Pros: You can buy any of them and play, each campaign is a complete (or almost complete) story

Cons: You still might need to buy other campaigns to get the skills you want

Expansion pack:

Pros: dunno lol, anything I can think of, such as that you can level up a new character quickly, is due to the structure of EotN itself, not the fact that it's an expansion pack

Cons: You must own at least one campaign to be able to play this

I hope they do mini expansion packs because I really do not want to go through the same process again as we did with GW1 campaigns. Things should be new and innovative not rehashed old ideas.

Expansions of course.

One of the main reasons they are doing GW2 in the first place iirc is because the issues campaigns brought to the game. Basicly, with each campaign they had to start a new game, they had to reproduce newbie areas which in the end got poorly made and that only hurts new players (like for example Factions, where new players get to lvl 20 without even knowing what is a rune), the excess of content needed for it to "stand alone" upsets balance (duplicate skills or just several new skils).

With expansions, you can focus on players that already played the game. Though, i hope they don't pull a WoW on us and increase the level cap as the game keeps expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsig View Post
    Though, i hope they don't pull a WoW on us and increase the level cap as the game keeps expanding.
    Considering that they said that reputation title tracks was their way to have higher virtual levels while keeping the level 20 cap, together with the talk of high/infinite levels in GW2, I think we can expect that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Considering that they said that reputation title tracks was their way to have higher virtual levels while keeping the level 20 cap, together with the talk of high/infinite levels in GW2, I think we can expect that to happen.
    Kinda going off topic, to me there's nothing wrong with the 20 level limit. The problem is that on NF and Factions they compressed the advancing in a way you can get to max level in no time. And after you play for a while, you miss the level advancement, as that aspect of the game feels a bit staggered.

I don't think it's about the how high you can get, but instead, just how distributed the levels are distributed in the game. I have no official data on this, but I think about 90% of the game is designed for lvl 20 characters.

Regardless of the fact that it's some sort of grind or not, level advancement presents a goal (along with other things) to the player.

So yes, I have to say I'm a bit skeptic about the high/infinite level advancement they advertised, because i'm against "power creep" mentalities and the idea that level advancement should dictate the reason you play the game. It just doesn't sound right, but again, i haven't seen the game yet, so I won't jump into conclusions.

I agree with you Zsig, but you just described what most RPG players love most - advancing levels. The level-cap-at-20 turned off a lot of players at first (not me, because I hate grinding). However, I think they could at least double it and keep both crowds happy. There should also be added bonuses when you advance a level past 20 or so.

They are not going to stick with the campaign format tey are going for the expansion packs because as zsig said the newbie areas was just rushing them to level 20 and pushing them forward.