PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VoIP in the home

I've been using VoIP for our home phones in one way or another since 2004, and was wondering if anyone else was doing this. If so, what kind of service or setup do you have? We were with Vonage for a while and then Skype, but we've since moved away from POTs service all together.

For those interested, I'd be happy to answer any question about VoIP or our setup.

I tried it with Comcast's Digital Voice and hated it.

Just my two cents. With inflation that may be, what, three bucks?
    Aretelio MerthorionAria MerthorionAlex MerthorionMitch TaylorJerry HathawayChris KnightGeneral Merthorion
    Kent TorokveiJordan CochranLazlo HolliefeldSusan DeckerIck Ikagami

So... You do VoIP for free now?

I recently moved and am currently using just a cell line.

Quote Originally Posted by Aretelio View Post
    I tried it with Comcast's Digital Voice and hated it.

Just my two cents. With inflation that may be, what, three bucks?
    VoIP from residential ISPs is notoriously crappy. I had some friends who tried Charter and Cox's services here and they all switched over to either Vonage or Skype shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis Baenre View Post
    So... You do VoIP for free now?
    Not quite, but pretty damn cheap. I just don't pay AT&T for a POTS line anymore; I rent a VoIP trunk from a VoIP carrier and run my own PBX system. I get free incoming calls and usually pay about a cent a minute for outgoing. All services like call waiting, ID, voicemail etc are free and done on my end as well. Our monthly bill is usually under $25.

My wife and daughter love skype...

Personally I don't feel the need to talk enough to need a service other then the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Monotheisticfreakizoid View Post
    My wife and daughter love skype...

Personally I don't feel the need to talk enough to need a service other then the phone
    Phone service is exactly what I'm talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by B Ephekt View Post
    Phone service is exactly what I'm talking about here?
    .. other then the land line phone service I have with the telco

The only reason I have a landline at all is because the celly service is a bit shoddy where we're at. Otherwise I'd be fine with texts and a cell phone.

In fact, I rarely talk to anyone anyway. I usually communicate through text messages. And no, I don't use text speak, I have a full keyboard.
    Aretelio MerthorionAria MerthorionAlex MerthorionMitch TaylorJerry HathawayChris KnightGeneral Merthorion
    Kent TorokveiJordan CochranLazlo HolliefeldSusan DeckerIck Ikagami

Quote Originally Posted by Monotheisticfreakizoid View Post
    Actually, that's the reason I went with Skype Out. I got tired of paying for long distance service when I make maybe one or two LD calls a month. I switched to minimal local-only land line for incoming calls and emergency service access. When I bought Skype Out it was something like $19/yr for unlimited US calls. Guess it's now about $3/mo. Still, it's lower than what my phone company charges for LD, even on "pay per use" plans. Overall I saved on average over $30/mo. after the switch.

-T

My family uses Vonage.

Unlimited long distance to anywhere in North America - and it's sooo cheap! Way cheaper than Rogers or Bell, which are the phone/cable companies in the area. (Bell is satellite but that's a minor detail.)

Also, all of our family lives in Europe. Being able to call for cheap is way better than buying phone cards at the convenience store, lol. :x

In short, yes I like it.