PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Need Help

I am in a guild where most of the players have not played GvG much together. I don't expect to win until we really know what we are doing. I was hoping someone, with lots of GvG experience, can tell me what would be a good team build for a noob squad.

I haven't played GW in ages, but most people are gonna telly uo to run balanced.

2-3 Front Line - Shock Axe, Dev Hammer, Backbreaker, Earthshaker, Melform Dev, Etc etc.

2-3 Support Mid Line - Bsurge, DA para, Mesmer (MoR,E-Surge,Expel,PD,Etc), Cripshot/BA/BHA Ranger, Snare Ele.

1 Runner (I don't know what current runners are tbh, probably rits with weapon spells I'd imagine)

2 Monks - WoH/Infuse, SoD,SoR,Etc etc.

If nothing else obs mode will give you a good idea.

4 SF eles, 1 water ele, 2 monks, 1 runner monk or ele.

Then move to sway,

3 R/D melee frontliners, 1 expel rit, 2 n/rt healers, Me/E midliner with Signet of Illusions, 1 monk or ele runner.

Then move to balanced that Ryuujinx suggested.

Then again, I don't play GvG. It just seems like the most reasonable way to learn different tactics, playing for an against them.

Balanced means you will lose alot but you will learn the game.

Gimmick will promote you up the ladder but is utter crap and when Anet nerfs it(and they will) you will be at the same place you are now except higher on the ladder with nothing to run. Ex: Wash Machine lol.

"If one is to understand the great mystery of the Force, one must study all its aspects... not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi."

Darth Sidious.

Watch obs mode and copy bars from good teams so you'll get the extra benefit of seeing how good players run those bars. The difference between rank 1k guilds and top 50 aren't skill bars it's player/team skill level, so focus on that.

If you can, get someone from the top 50 who has had RECENT success to come help everyone out. I say recent because it's a safer bet you'll learn from someone who has been in this meta not someone who only had success in a meta 2 years ago.

And I wouldn't go to Darth Sidious when I wanted to know what I should do to be competitive in Guild Wars. Gimmicks are for tournaments, fun gvg nights and double champ point weekends only. Well, if you want to be good that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Bear View Post
    Gimmick will promote you up the ladder but is utter crap and when Anet nerfs it(and they will)
    Anet likes gimmicks. They attract new players with it who want to instawin without using their brain.

It's a shame anet decided to turn GW into a "best gear wins" Diablo wannabe game instead of a competitive strategy game.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    Anet likes gimmicks. They attract new players with it who want to instawin without using their brain.

It's a shame anet decided to turn GW into a "best gear wins" Diablo wannabe game instead of a competitive strategy game.
    You gotta be kidding, you are so full of misinformation, the GvG game currently is balanced turtle until VoD build meta, there are no instawins that are popular as Anet nerfs them pretty quickly.

Unlike Diablo, or WoW, GW gear is static, the only thing that varies are the skins. GvG players use PvP chars where all the best gear options are instantly available, everyone is on equal equipment footing from day one.

Need Help

The "OTA FAQ and Knowledge Base" is a very good place to start.

It would also help the users here if you listed your location. There may be many others around you who could offer more area-specific help.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    The most standard build is probably:

2 warriors: one hammer and one shock axe

2 monks: heal heal heal

1 flag runner: usually Rt/E, run flag and support healing

That leaves you with 3 characters for support.

Fire Mind Blast Elementalist: damage

Water Mirror of ice Elementalist: damage and Blur Vision

Air Blinding Surge Elementalist: damage and blind

Ranger: Cripple, interrupt, poison, snare, spliting, etc

Mesmer: Interrupts, shutter enchantment and other stuff

Necro: Defile Defenses, Rip Enchantment and other stuff

Relatively, Assassins, Dervish and Paragons are rarely seen in GvG, but they do show up from time to time.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 18-01-2010 at 04:30.