PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Guild Wars 2

  1. #1

    Guild Wars 2

    My suggestion is to find everything unique about Guild Wars and KEEP them.

    In particular, one thing that makes Guild Wars unique is its emphasis on prevention. Monk's protection line, ranger and mesmer interrupts, knockdowns, etc. A lot of other MMOs clearly lack some of these mechanics, and others just ignore it all together. Making Guild Wars 2 "just another warriors + healers" game is one of the most damaging things they can do to the brand imo.

    I hope others feel the same way I do. The idea of a mesmer or monk class is what makes guild wars unique. I've played a priest in WoW, I've played a cardinal in Lineage II. They simply do not compare to the monk in play. Guild Wars requires the player to be so much more ACTIVE, working to prevent and predict.

  2. #2
    I agree... but it's a lost cause. What is the one most unique thing about GW anyway? It's all instanced, every last part of it, apart from outposts... You won't find that in any other MMO, but they decided to give it up.

  3. #3
    Well I am pretty sure they want to make a new game instead of an exact GW clone.

  4. #4
    Not all of it will be persistent some of it is instanced like dungeons and missions.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Windw View Post
    Not all of it will be persistent some of it is instanced like dungeons and missions.
    That would make it a clone of many other MMOs... at least in that respect.

  6. #6
    I agree - healer and support classes in other MMOs are in general incredibly boring. That's why, PvE or PvP, everyone wants to play a DPS class. The support classes just lack anything to make them interesting. The well-designed support classes (Mesmer and Monk, PvP: Ele) should stick to their foundations.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    I agree - healer and support classes in other MMOs are in general incredibly boring. That's why, PvE or PvP, everyone wants to play a DPS class. The support classes just lack anything to make them interesting. The well-designed support classes (Mesmer and Monk, PvP: Ele) should stick to their foundations.
    /agreed

    One thing I do like about the everquest games is their "Cleric" class. SImilar to our monks, they protect, buff, heal and support the other players, but, unlike our monks, they have damage skills almost on par with the ele's. I guess they're more like a paragon, come to think of it...

  8. #8
    GWOnline.Net Member Flamefang of Arnor's Avatar
    Server

    Fort Aspenwood
    Posts

    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Innocent View Post
    My suggestion is to find everything unique about Guild Wars and KEEP them.

    In particular, one thing that makes Guild Wars unique is its emphasis on prevention. Monk's protection line, ranger and mesmer interrupts, knockdowns, etc. A lot of other MMOs clearly lack some of these mechanics, and others just ignore it all together. Making Guild Wars 2 "just another warriors + healers" game is one of the most damaging things they can do to the brand imo.

    I hope others feel the same way I do. The idea of a mesmer or monk class is what makes guild wars unique. I've played a priest in WoW, I've played a cardinal in Lineage II. They simply do not compare to the monk in play. Guild Wars requires the player to be so much more ACTIVE, working to prevent and predict.


    I gotta agree here... GW is one of the least generic MMOs out there... no Orcs, Goblins, Elves ect. and it not totally European or Asian based areas.. theres African and Viking themes too.

    I really hope the Sylvari don't turn out too much like elves.... pointed ears and the like... but with hope GW 2 will not tread down the paths of other MMOs.

  9. #9
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    I agree - healer and support classes in other MMOs are in general incredibly boring.
    I think you should be able to play without support classes. The fact that most prefer dealing damage rather than preventing it or healing it means you're often looking for monks.

    But some do enjoy it, so it should not be taken out. I for one intend to make a primary healer character in GW2.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  10. #10
    Just because somethings are being changed doesn't mean others will be changed. Kind of a leap in logic on that.

    Also alaris I do hope you mean by healer, a monk or rit right? Not a W/mo or Me/rt? Please.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •