PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

aesthetic environment design - Dynamic Weather

NOTE: this is assuming the explorables are expanded (i.e. the "blobs") to include more than one party to create the illusion of a "seamless" world.

How would you feel about dynamic weather? Rain, snow, fog, haze, drought, sandstorm, thunder? What kinds of weather would you like to see happen in the field of battle?

Purpose: immersion, more or less.

*shrug* Not necessary, but doesn't hurt either.

would be nice but it could also drain on your vid card. also, would you have less view when it rains? would you be sliding and slipping in the snow? etc.

i would like a day/night cycle though.

Love it. Anything to do with immersion I love. You don't neccessarily have to put in realistic effects such as slipping and sliding. Having rain and snow, with effects that kick up as you walk is cool enough.

Skills being affected by weather would be pretty cool and add a dynamic to pve and even pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick the Nomad View Post
    Skills being affected by weather would be pretty cool and add a dynamic to pve and even pvp.
    Bows doing less damage when it rains, and forget about fire magic. However, air and water magic would do more damage. Sure this might add a nice touch to PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Bows doing less damage when it rains, and forget about fire magic. However, air and water magic would do more damage. Sure this might add a nice touch to PvE.
    I think if they did weather like FFXI it would work good. no affect just visual except for a few items and armor that works only when under a weather condition ect. like a 40% during rain or something.

Well since I love rain more then any other weather I hope to see it randomly come by in GW2 and not just added as a permanent effect in certain areas like in GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by sosyc View Post
    I think if they did weather like FFXI it would work good. no affect just visual except for a few items and armor that works only when under a weather condition ect. like a 40% during rain or something.
    let me know if you find out about these kind of things. if this happens, i'll need an uber PC to handle all the calculations...and uber PCs are expensive.

Hmm, what about quests involving local weather alterations through spells ?
    i.e.: a drought hit a small village and the player can cast specially modified (craft/shape spell ?) water spells to restore the humidity, or a deluge happened and the villagers are knees-deep in the mud, unable to rebuild and transport properly, you can cast weakened fire spells to make the excess of water evaporate, then collecting the hot water vapor and force it through conduits and turbines in order to generate energy and fuel industries.

...ahem... sorry, been reading too much about energy sources recently. :P