PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts

P or W or PvP or Perma-Pre?

I've a free character slot, because I deleted a never played character recently. Now I'd like some advice on what I should do with this slot.

a Warrior?
    That would be my ~5th attempt at playing a warrior. The previous attempts ended when I got bored by the gameplay (I felt like I was only running all over the place, trying to catch up with those kiting foes and I basically contributed nothing to the fights), or when the characters failed at surviving, because I was in a Frenzy and the foes thought it was a good idea to gang up on the character.

Frankly, I probably just suck at this sort of gameplay, but it would be a nice challenge to try to get a W to survivor (3). Like my final frontier, or something.

There is a face/hair combination that I find rather nice looking, too.

Once it's survivor (3), the character would most likely end up as a mule though, because of the "chasing foes" gameplay.

or a Paragon?
    That would be the 3rd attempt at a Paragon. Previous attempts ended because it was my first character to explore Elona and it ran into a madragor trap in Arjok Ward and died; later attempt ended because Istan bored me to death. I had a bad headache from the Paragon back then, too, because I tried to keep Mending Refrain up and going on the whole team at all times (that was before all the nerfs.)

The gameplay is more matching my normal style (not running after foes, but standing back and supporting/whatever). It wouldn't be so much of a challenge to get it to survivor (3); but it would require a change of my teamsetup towards more physical characters instead of full casters. Something new and exciting, perhaps.

Issue is that while I have a face/hair combination that I like, I dislike the armor designs a lot.

I could see me play a paragon further than survivor (3), if I got around to figure out a good physical team.

or a PvP slot?
    Well, about once per month, I feel aggressive enough to consider PvP as an option. A PvP slot would allow me to do that in GW instead of launching something like ETQW in such moods.

or a Perma-Pre character?
    It's an option, but I know that it would bore me to death after a short while. Not really a good idea, anyway. Deathleveling would make me all mad at Anet or whatever...

... it's still something I considered to do with this character slot.

So, any suggestions?

Ah yes, currently I've got 3 mesmers, 1 monk, 1 ele, 1 assa, 1 assa mule, 1 necro, 1 ritualist. Mesmers and monk get actively played.
    Last edited by Lytha; 10-06-2008 at 11:51.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Paragon was my main, but after a while I got bored for lack of flexibility. Attacks are nice, and support functions are nice, but the character is somewhat limited to those functions if he wants to be effective (compared to ranger, that is). Nevertheless, Paragon or Necro would be my second main char.

I find the most fun way to play paragon is to have a mix of attacks and support functions. I would often venture out with a squishy team, and support them via protection, healing, and energy. You don't need a physical team, though you can go that way if you want.

The paragon is less able to tank than a warrior, due in part to lack of effective self-defense (even though group defense is great). Other than that, there is not much a warrior can do that a paragon can't. Warrior have cooler armors, but in the long run, paragon is more fun IMO.

All that to say that I'd definately use that slot for a PvP character

I made a PvP character a while back, and I'm never using that slot for a PvE character again. It's great to be able to reroll any profession and to create equipment that you need. Instant access to all unlocked skills is great too. Plus I sometimes like to create new characters just to design the look, just for fun.

In short, PvP would be my first choice, Paragon 2nd, and perma-pre dead last.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Re: your issues about paras; my para is Very Important and climbing, so I look at her a lot. Most people dislike male paras, but have you considered a female one? They look far more normal, and I think mine is quite sexy. I use the basic Istani armor because the elite armors look a bit too fancy for my tastes.

Paras are definitely able to support casters as well as physicals, or a mix, as I usually do. Don't forget about some of your best skills, like Defensive Anthem, They're on Fire!, Stand Your Ground!, and of course the PvE shouts. If you want to go with the motivation line, it's 70% irrelevant who's in your party.

Edit: I completely agree with your warrior issues. I think it's either a class you really want to play from the get-go, or one you're going to hate.

I agree with Alaris about the slot going to PVP, I have one spot free on my account and its for PVP only.

But to answer your question I feel that Warrior is a better profession, of course my main is a Warrior so I may be a little biased.

I often find theres two types of Warrior; the good and the bad, people either suck at it or do really good. With my main I have completed all the campaigns, I just love being right in the action, and once you get decent enough weaponry you can make a difference because its possible to hit pretty hard.

About your kiting issue, I found this allot when I first made my Warrior, but if you aggro the enemy's correctly its perfectly possible for them not to start running everywhere, although like all things this takes practice, and even the most practiced of Warriors can screw it up..the only problem with this is of course if you have say another Warrior or a Dervish they also run in and screwup your plan ;P

PVP wise Warriors can be deadly with a Hammer, if you've played RA im sure you'll have seen them, the knockdowns they inflict can be brutal and when your playing caster it can get very aggravating.

I never took a liking to Paragons, I always found they weren't a 'needed' class, but of course because I havnt played one for ages I have no idea of the current state of that profession. So im afraid I can only tell you about Warrior in this post ^^

Whatever you pick, I hope you feel you've made the right decision ^^

Mesmer is my main and I have all four of the options you're considering.

PvP slot wins hands down, because you can do what you like with it. Any class, any form of PvP you have unlocked including the zaishen AI if it's not that time of the month and you want some faction without having to deal with immature opponents, any name that takes your fancy including the incredibly stupid sort that amuses you at the time but you'd not want to be stuck with for months on end, instahairdresser/plastic surgeon when there's more than one appearance you like, access to all your skills so you can play around with builds... If you're considering warrior and paragon then you can use this option to practice the playstyle and build and team setup (albeit 4-man) vs the zaishen for both of them rather than committing to one or the other.

If that's not convinced you, next one for me is paragon. It's the only physical class I've really enjoyed playing, having tried warrior sin dervish and ranger as well as paragon in both PvE and PvP and not really clicking with any of them except the paragon. You don't have to worry about chasing the enemy round like Benny Hill on steroids, you don't have to worry about getting blocked, and you don't have to keep an eye on your position to make sure you're not overextending. You can choose between being a physical attacker yourself with plenty of spear attacks, or buffing the rest of the party's attacks and reducing the damage they take with shouts and chants, depending on mood and playstyle preference.

I had a couple of face/hair styles that I liked, but only two armours. Both of them were elite, one was the primeval. I did only the primary quests and missions to get my guy to the end of Nightfall inside a couple of days just to get him the armour so I was happy looking at him, and it's worked out fine. It's now the class I enjoy most after mesmer, and it makes a good change of pace and playstyle when I feel like a change.

I also have a warrior, as well as a permapre LDoA wannabe warrior.

Where my pre warrior is concerned, I like pre and I like her but really can't stand the grind for LDoA so I play her maybe once a month if that, for about half an hour to an hour, before thinking "ahhh **** this I'm bored" and changing characters in disgust. GW2 will be released long before I get that title.

Where my main warrior is concerned, he was my first ever Factions character and I've played him a fair bit (finished Factions and Prophecies on him and done quite a bit of farming) but I still don't have a clue what I'm doing. The chasing, the blocking/being blocked, the positioning, the timing of skills such as dchop - forget it. I simply don't like things being in my face and needing to watch the field that closely. When I play him, I'm just there to provide a focus for my heroes - they do all the work, I call targets and spam skills randomly til stuff is dead.

So, I advise against either permapre or warrior!

Did that help?

Very helpful input so far.

The slot is filled with a PvP character at the moment, because I can't stand the sight of an empty slot. But the mood for PvP is really a very rare thing for me. And I find that other games, such as first person shooters, provide me a better vent for my aggression. So, the PvP slot would end up as a tool for catastrophic cosmetic experiments, like: "woulnd't my 'I have many leather-bound books' character look better with this face&hair than how she looks like now? I think I start her all over!"

As for the male/female thing - I have a weak spot for goofy male characters, so the idea to switch to a female might actually work the other way around. Making him the lonely male in a herd of females, even more amusing with his skirt and the slightly "pink" way to dance... - nah, I couldn't stand to play a male. I meant that I can't stand the sight of those white, angel-wannabe skirt&top outfits on the females. I prefer the characters in dark/blue+purple coloured pants.

My main issue with the kiting foes (as a W) was that I felt so totally helpless when for instance those stone summit warriors were going for Alesia. I was somewhere behind them and trying to catch up with their monks. I needed to hit the monks to focus the attention of Orion/Dunham etc on them, didn't I? And they cast on what the player attacks. Meanwhile, Alesia got killed by their warriors, and I couldn't do anything to help, because I was so far away. In my normal roles as caster or whatever, I know how to handle such situations. As a warrior, I was outmatched. I really guess I just suck at that class.

Tendency towards P or PvP. I'd agree with those two, but still can't make up my mind.
    Last edited by Lytha; 10-06-2008 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    Very helpful input so far.

As for the male/female thing - I have a weak spot for goofy male characters, so the idea to switch to a female might actually work the other way around. Making him the lonely male in a herd of females, even more amusing with his skirt and the slightly "pink" way to dance... - nah, I couldn't stand to play a male. I meant that I can't stand the sight of those white, angel-wannabe skirt&top outfits on the females. I prefer the characters in dark/blue+purple coloured pants.

Tendency towards P or PvP. I'd agree with those two, but still can't make up my mind.
    Just my own taste so no offence to you or any male paragon's but:

MALE PARAGONS ARE ***

Well yes, that's what I meant.

That's an argument to play one though (for me), because I find it quite amusing. The lonely male character in the herd of females... isn't straight.

Don't know what you mean. My paragon's straight as a die.

Honest.

EDIT:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Image...rn_armor_f.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Image...al_armor_f.jpg

Those two don't seem overly angelic to me.
    Last edited by Mister Smartypants; 10-06-2008 at 17:45.

Yes, but these irritate me in some other way. Strange feathery objects coming out of the top? Strange horns on the shoulders? Biggest issue are the tops.

This here would get my vote until the character would be allowed to buy any elite sets. No high heels, no girly gloves, no absurd wings on the shoulders... yes. Nice combination. Would be nicer with pants though.

And in black or purple+blue instead of all that white.

Behold the magic powers of the cosmetic experiment (PvP) slot.
    Last edited by Lytha; 10-06-2008 at 18:11.