PC Gaming News

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subs and Dubs

Subs and Dubs

For those unfamiliar with the terms:
    Subs
    Dubs

So, I was in Spain last week. While being bored in my hotelroom, I tend to watch a bit of TV. For those of you who have already forgotten what that is, it's what we watched before we had computer screens and the ability to download series over the "Internet".
    Anyway, when watching the Spanish channels, I noticed every single foreign show, movie, commercial, etc. gets dubbed. Every. Single. Thing.
    I for one found that extremely annoying. I can understand the need to dub certain TV shows intended for kids (Doraemon, Detective Conan, ...though the ones listed happen to be animes), but I can't find a good reason to dub shows aiming at a more adult audience (The Simpsons, Friends, Ugly Betty, ...) and even movies (Diamonds are Forever, The Fifth Element, ...).
    I mean, you have a movie about a Brittish secret agent with a scottish accent (Sean Connery did DaF), then you have him speaking fluent Spanish and Blofeld going "Buenos Noches Senor Bond". I raged. It was even worse during the opening song, where they were apparently unable to put a translation on the bottom, so they had a deep male voice saying "Diamantes son Eternal" (or w/e, no hablo Espagnol).
    Here in Belgium, we basically sub pretty much everything. Pokémon and the likes gets a dub. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows get dubbed by the Netherlands (except King Arthur's Disasters, which gets subbed...). That's about it. Apart from that, every foreign show I've ever seen and pretty much every movie gets subs. Some movies get dubs for the kids, but in pretty much ALL cases, the subbed version is better. When they did a dub of "The Simpsons Movie", most fans were screaming "bloody murder". It was <.<

I just don't get why people would want to dub shows intended for an audience past a certain age. They should be able to read and watch the show at the same time, right? As an added bonus, you learn a bit about a foreign language. I learned English by watching TV. The first words I knew in French was from watching French TV, though I learned most of my French in school afterwards.

tl; dr: Do you like subs or dubs, /otf/ ?

Agreed, dubs are incredibly annoying, subs ftw! (Since you put in the option, I'll allow that dubs for children's programmes is a good idea as long as it's for programmes whose intended viewers are kids too young to read subtitles/read them quickly enough.) I remember watching Monkey with english voice actors when I was young and being distracted by how much mouth movements the real actors made for so very little sound. Totally ruined the immersion, even back then.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I like to have the option, especially if you can have 1 in one language and the other in a different language.

Usually, I prefer the movie in its original language, unless I don't understand it in which case I prefer dubs. Hence my vote is dubs.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Il elefante is gris and grande.
    You're mixing Italian and Spanish. It's 'El', not 'Il'.

On Topic, Subs for everything but kid shows.

Subs for everything. Dubs for adults are dumb. It's a simple way to teach children to read as well understand foreign languages better. It's cost-efficient. Why dub, over sub?

Subs, no question. I'd have voted "except for kids shows" but then you have to define what is and what is not a kids show...

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Subs alllll the way

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    As someone who lived in a country where the majority of movies on TV were foreign, I have to say I'm used to dubs.

Most of the stuff is dubbed, hardly subbed, except for some things - for example my dad purchased special edition Star Wars, ep. IV - VI with English audio and Czech subs. (I lived in Slovakia and the two languages are so similar I can understand it, and Czech people understand me.)

A lot of the time, movies would simply get a Czech dub and it was left at that - for such a small audience to be found speaking Slovak (it's a small country) it usually wasn't worth it to dub it in Slovak, too. Usually, Czech dubs would be much higher quality, too.

Now that I've been living in North America for a while, my opinion is divided.

First of all, when it comes to anime, I prefer subbed for the original experience, unless the dub is really good, then I don't care. I usually just download stuff anyways, and that is nearly always subbed.

When it comes to foreign movies - most notably Chinese and Japanese movies, because those are really the only foreign movies I'd watch lately - I think I prefer subs.

Because, honestly....English people SUCK at dubbing. They do not know how to do it properly. Everyone always makes fun of kung-fu movies dubbed in English because first the mouths move and *then* the sound comes. I can assure you this is only the case when the voice actors and directors are complete twats and have no idea WTF they're doing. I have never seen this phenomenon occur when I watched movied dubbed in Czech or Slovak.

/rant

Anyways, I guess I do prefer subs, unless it's something I'm watching in Slovak.

As long as the subs are legible I prefer subs. My ex boyfriend was a fan of old chinese martial arts movies. The subs were AWFUL, not only full of errors but also hard to read. I found myself staring at the bottom of the screen and missing the action because I was like "did he just say leaped? lipped? licked? wha?"

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    German TV has EVERYTHING dubbed. I try to get most of the series I'd like to watch in the original version (which is English) and try to see original movies in the original version (which you can only get in selected threaters at odd times).

PS: Very few movies are broadcasted in "Zweikanalton", which means you can listen to the original on the left speaker and the dubbed version on the right speaker by turning one or the other off. I never saw that on TV series.
    Last edited by Gorani; 22-07-2008 at 20:07.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."