PC Gaming News

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion

I just came across this, and I've got to say that I'm impressed by the video. By combining Mario, Megaman, Sonic, and other classic game universes, it looks like they're creating the ultimate 2d platformer.

If they put this on WiiWare, or even a retail game, I would definitely buy it. Currently, I think it's a free project. I'm going to download the beta later today.

/edit/
    Oh. My. Goodness. It also has Doom levels. (even if it's an outdated video)
    Last edited by Zalis; 11-08-2008 at 18:05.

This game looks awesome, I hope that they do something like this as I would totally buy it. Mario in the Megaman suite = genius.

Sadly it will never go beyond a fan made project. Way too many licensing issues would need to be worked out before it could ever be brought to retail. And from some of the things I have seen on youtube, there are numerous fan made mario games running about. Although this appears to be one o the better ones and much less frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax The Malevolent View Post
    Sadly it will never go beyond a fan made project. Way too many licensing issues would need to be worked out before it could ever be brought to retail. And from some of the things I have seen on youtube, there are numerous fan made mario games running about. Although this appears to be one o the better ones and much less frustrating.
    Yeah. Staying fan-made, but at least it seems to be in competent hands that really care about the project.

Finding beta download links here: http://mkfusion.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=905
    Still downloading, myself.

The good stuff is 5:05 to 7:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax The Malevolent View Post
    And from some of the things I have seen on youtube, there are numerous fan made mario games running about.
    Syobon Action is ultimate win.

Where to look for the files

How to run:
    Download the main folder w/ EXE and it will work when launched. Download the mp3 music rar file and extract that into the directory's /music folder. Voila.

-------

I downloaded the necessary files and got it working yesterday. It's a work-in-progress, for sure, but still very playable as-is. Fully functioning characters are Mario & Luigi, while Sonic & Tails are still in the partially playable stage. Each special world has at least one playable level, like the Megaman & Hell ones, and some have 2-4. There are also plenty of levels on the main world, Mushroom Kingdom.

I really love how Mario is a combination of 4, 8, and 16-bit generations. They've got levels, items & enemies from Super Mario Land 1 & 2 from the Gameboy, NES SMB 1-3, and SNES Super Mario World. The gameboy SMB games might've been tiny & green, but were excellent. They also have the 'death mushroom' that was in the "Lost Levels" Super Mario that's available both on the SNES' Super Mario All-Stars or the Wii Virtual Console's 'Lost Levels'. (600 pts) I love the Hammer Suit, Tanuki Suit, etc etc. I wish they'd also add the SMWorld Cape too, because it was just as great.

Also, since it frustrated me to play this with keyboard controls, I'm using Xpadder. Xpadder is a little app that lets you bind USB gamepad input to keystrokes. Useful when games don't officially support gamepads.