PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

The Mob Strategy?

Because I monk in ab, i usually get picked for a lot of guild teams. In the middle of the match, all twelve started to buch up. I pointed out we were mobbing, and suggested we spread out. Then i got a few replies from the guild group that mobbing=win. So I played along, mostly because it's not easy to go off and cap by yourself when you are a monk. I have started hearing it a lot now, which got me sick of it and I have started going off on my own to cap as monk, letting them shout whatever they want at me.

So my questions are...

1) Are there many people that believe mobbing is a good strategy?

2) Is there a better way to stop them mobbing other than shouting at them (which has no effect apparantly)?

P.S. Started going with guildies and alliance members, because i couldn't be bothered trying to find people who agree with me.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    The solution you've chosen is the best one. Not many people will agree and even if one other from your team does, the fact that the 2 others will go in another direction will make your team fail anyways.

1. too many hence the popularity of MM's and whatever tank builds are popular at the time.

2. Not really. If people decide they think mobbing is good, there's not really any way to convince them it isn't because AB has such a large room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by Keshi View Post
    So my questions are...

2) Is there a better way to stop them mobbing other than shouting at them (which has no effect apparantly)?
    1.) yeah, there is. It will never change.

2.) I sometimes run an 8 spirit ranger bar with "the nasty ones" that screw up everyone(e.g. quicksand, quickening zephyr, eoe etc). Usually, they realise it isnt worth it, or at least the players with some part of a brain left lol.

That's just stupid. You screw over your own team just as much and they can't even remove the effects themselves by killing the spirits. Besides you are running around useless effectively reducing your teams number of players by 1 making the match 11v12 or how many there's left.

I just have something to say when you realize everybody is mobbing....

TRAPPER TEAM ANYONE?

A big phat NO!

that does in no way help out your team. you'll most likely be interrupted a lot and won't do anything besides doing minor damage. Oh and did I mention being 99% useless the rest of the match?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Trapper in no way suits ab, too much space,

Quote Originally Posted by Keshi View Post
    So my questions are...

P.S. Started going with guildies and alliance members, because i couldn't be bothered trying to find people who agree with me.
    In determining strategy, I'm going to assume that people are preforming at equal levels. Holding all other variables constant, of course.

1) Mobbing's purpose is to overpower the enemy by sheer numbers. For example, Group A is at their shrine. Group A2 start attacking said shrine. Right now, Group A has the advantage. They have at least four people from their group and at least 2 NPC's at the shrine with very powerful skills at their disposal. Whereas group A2 only really has up to 4 people.

Looking at another scenario, same situation however group A2 is backed up by group B2. You now have eight people going up against a shrine that has about 6. That's a lot more people to watch for group A with only 32 skills to go off of where the other two groups get 64. Chances are groups A2 and B2 will win the shrine.

2) However the problem comes in when people keep mobbing. When you mob, you also don't maximize your capping abilities since the speed at which you cap is topped out at 4 people. That's 4 other people that are essentially out of the game just sitting there. So mobbing is a very slow way of capping shrines. Therein lies the counter. If a team A is being mobbed by team B, then team A should try to issue better mobility maneuvers in order to out-cap said mob.
    Last edited by Offatwork; 05-09-2008 at 08:29.

While you do overpower that one shrine with a mob there are at least 4 other shrines to worry about. three groups of four can cap three shrines at once, while one mobb can cap one shrine.

A mob will also gain pts by kills and a full mob will get a good chunk of kills. A smart team will see a mob and run the other way calling to his other teams to avoid the mob. Thus 1 big mob ends up running around with no targets and poor capping ability. They loose because capping shrines is the key in there.

The only good mob tactic would be to let the other team take the rez shrine, and make sure you have some good kills already. Stand out of cap range and kill them as they rez.

If you are running off as the monk to cap something else good. A few smarter players will notice the monk is leaving and follow you. The others will use group think and keep mobbing.

There are also advantages in trying to stall a mob with your small group as well.

When facing a mob and your team is at your shrine, there is a good chance that you are going to lose that shrine. However, sometimes its best not to just let them have it. For example, a shrine being attacked by a mob will realistically have at most 3-4 people actively trying to cap it (casters will be in back trying to fend off your team and not actively moving in to help cap it). Even if they have more people, say five, that means that for the however many people above four people is there, really only equates to one or two people capping. So if your team is at your shrine and there are only really three to four people trying to take it from you (even if there is more) then that means that you are putting people out of the game, more than your team. Now if you can hold onto it for as long as you can before calling a retreat, you can slow the capping speed of a mob even more. The trick is to figure out when to call the retreat.

Again, as to everything, there is a counter in tactics. If people start realizing what is happening and start moving in to help cap, you ether have to focus on those people (try to drive them back) or just fall back altogether. They bested you and you did all you could to prevent a capture at your shrine, good job. However if they start killing off your teammates, then you failed. So figure out when your team loses control of the fight and fall back so this doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Offatwork; 05-09-2008 at 08:37.