PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ranger Spike

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Shame on you.

When I read some posts here then I know why the GWO Heroes Ascent section is so deserted.

@ the OP.
    With some exceptions, most lowranked R-spikes will lose against builds that have Olias, Master of Whispers or Livia with them.

What you really need to become more experienced is a descent group/guild that wants to play together, learn from failures and has some patience. Then you can get far.

Lowranks and PvE players care about flashy animals. Your friendslist will get you beyond that. Best of luck!

There is a thread on another forum that discusses: "R-spike is overpowered". It has a few good posts on what R-spikes can do and what makes them strong and how they are countered. I suggest you read up there for some information. (Try to ignore some people who flame each other) Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    Why is that?
    "racial slurs"

It consisted of the N word, followed by the term used for homosexuals. Good stuff.

I got a two week ban for it, and everyone else I know gets 3 day bans for it :(

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Sounds really out of proportions :/
    What I really like is the "hench before french" comment used in french districts.
    No offence french people, it's a very good joke.

Hey, David, what the hell's up with [DM] running r-spike against [rawr]?

Quote Originally Posted by Vana View Post
    Hey, David, what the hell's up with [DM] running r-spike against [rawr]?
    Simple really. We run a build very similar to rawr and knew we weren't going to beat them with effectively a mirror matchup. They've been playing together with it for a year, we've been doing it for a month. I also knew that rawr would always open trying to 8v8 us because they are extremely poor at splitting. They tend to run huge amounts of anti-pressure because euro honor demands high pressure builds.

The obvious choice then was some sort of 8v8 spike. I picked ranger because of the access to dshot and pin. No one had caught onto the fact that with experts you can use pen as a followup instead of savage, so we got an extra 150 damage on the spike there putting it at about 1000 damage all told.

We knew from experience that rawr would eventually try to split us after accumulating enough DP, but we also knew they never built with strong split skills. I knew that we could easily pincer with rangers and stack DP up until 26, where we could score after time kills on DPed targets and just go rush lord. As it turns out we had 3 people DPed out because of an insane pre-26 push on our lord which made our strategem even easier to accomplish.

It was well played.

The choice for playing this sound good and it worked as well. Never thought that rawr would lose so easily against a R-spike on that map.

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    The obvious choice then was some sort of 8v8 spike. I picked ranger because of the access to dshot and pin. No one had caught onto the fact that with experts you can use pen as a followup instead of savage, so we got an extra 150 damage on the spike there putting it at about 1000 damage all told.
    I was wondering about that.

I noticed you guys really DPed out the warriors first, roughly how many of them were Frenzy kills? I assume that was to seriously dent opposing teams pressure.

Also how many Death Pact Signets did you guys pack? I know it bit you in the *** once almost 5 seconds after use. Any choice comments on what went through your mind when it happened?

I found your matches just fun to watch since the deaths were just so quick and seemingly random. That and the nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
    I noticed you guys really DPed out the warriors first, roughly how many of them were Frenzy kills? I assume that was to seriously dent opposing teams pressure.
    With a rangerspike you run almost no defense. We packed two copies of Lightning Reflexes, but otherwise rangers can't do anything to mitigate damage. The Defensive Anthem on the Paragon helps but only so much. Killing warriors allows us to stay in fights and score kills because every warrior kill resets his adrenaline and buys us more time. As for frenzy deaths I doubt we got any. Polly and Hexen (wars 1 and 2 respectively) know better than to frenzy in front of a spike. It didn't matter though, since I designed that spike specifically around being able to kill warriors through shutdown.

Also how many Death Pact Signets did you guys pack? I know it bit you in the *** once almost 5 seconds after use. Any choice comments on what went through your mind when it happened?
    We packed two dpact signets. One on me and one on the para. The other two rangers were /rt merely for the purposes of confusing the enemy. I think you're thinking about rawr though, since we never had any dpact trouble. We lost a monk and a flagger in a base defense, but those were sigged up. We were permaboosting easily so no reason to use a dpact. Rawr however ate some of the worst dpact deaths I've seen in a while, including at least 2 mapwide deaths and 2 after time doublekills.