PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Assassin's Role in GvG

As an Assassin, i enjoy playin GvG as it feels like i am breaking the standards which most teams conform to. It also seams that if I add a monk hero who follows me (this seems to happen alot since we are still building or GvG team) it seems like we are the last pair to die. This is why my role is to solo all the other teams NPC's and prepare for the GL rush. The only problem is, my WotA build seems boring and doesnt kill quik enough. An assassin should only have to go through his/her chain once but i have to do it twice. Also, with 12 sec recharge of some of my skills, i spend around 3 to 4 secs auto attacking... and that sucks lemons. I know that the Siphon Speed or a build like that was nerfed or something but I was wondering if you could post biuld which as assassin could use in GvG as my team seem to love me ^^

Hmm faster recharging chain? Try Shattering Assault with GFS and WS. With Shadowsteps nerfed just drop any you have and use Dash. Also might want to consider Shock/Disrupting Dagger and an Air conjure and Storm Djinn's Haste in place of Dash.

My concept is to cram as much utility on the bar as possible, almost to the level of a Warrior. Energy might get tight with SA so add in that Critical Eye skill. As for conditions might want Assassin's Remedy although FF will probably take care of that. You might also want to take some sort of a block but the block enchants might get stripped. Also, I don't think Scorpion Wire has the aftercast after the SS so might want to look into using that and Shock for 4 second KD. Tweak the bar and make it your own based on your playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by lieutenant zho View Post
    It also seams that if I add a monk hero who follows me

Umm... and this is for GvG?

On second thought, scratch Scorpion Wire. If you cast it on a monk they'll retreat pulling you far back behind enemy lines.

And on the monk-it hasn't been unusual in the recent past for Sinsplit to be accompanied by monks. Traditionally in the Factions Era it was 1-2 gankers but now it isn't unusual for a monk to assist. However, having a real monk is better and with VoD changed bringing along a full team of players for Zerging is even better.
    Last edited by Celeborn the Old; 31-08-2008 at 15:40.

Palm strike still works. Add some smites and hexes and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lieutenant zho View Post
    As an Assassin, i enjoy playin GvG as it feels like i am breaking the standards which most teams conform to. It also seams that if I add a monk hero who follows me (this seems to happen alot since we are still building or GvG team) it seems like we are the last pair to die. This is why my role is to solo all the other teams NPC's and prepare for the GL rush. The only problem is, my WotA build seems boring and doesnt kill quik enough. An assassin should only have to go through his/her chain once but i have to do it twice. Also, with 12 sec recharge of some of my skills, i spend around 3 to 4 secs auto attacking... and that sucks lemons. I know that the Siphon Speed or a build like that was nerfed or something but I was wondering if you could post biuld which as assassin could use in GvG as my team seem to love me ^^
    If killing once every 12 seconds is too slow for you, stop playing this game. Assassins are overpowered if any of their spikes recharge in less than 20 seconds, which is the case currently. Try winning by being good instead of 1234567 spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by shardfenix View Post
    If killing once every 12 seconds is too slow for you, stop playing this game. Assassins are overpowered if any of their spikes recharge in less than 20 seconds, which is the case currently. Try winning by being good instead of 1234567 spamming.
    cause he is probaly playing in top 100 with a hero monk following him, he is asking for an advice, if you have nothing good to say, then shut up or cut your self babe.

His point is that killing once every 12 seconds only happens in terribly one sided matches. If someone wants to get a kill every 12 seconds, then GvG is not the game for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Dr View Post
    His point is that killing once every 12 seconds only happens in terribly one sided matches. If someone wants to get a kill every 12 seconds, then GvG is not the game for them.
    More like the OPPORTUNITY to get a kill. But I'm just nit-picking.

for pure npc killing, consider full degen builds. You can do this solo.

For starters, u can consider, [seeping wound][iron palm][falling spider][twisting fangs] 4 skills.

This move takes down any npc of any armor without heals, meanwhile allowing you to be out of the area of damage after your spike. u can ss back to your intended position, i.e flag running, ss to monk, or wait out for next spike

Iron palm is not an attack and will continue to work well with shadow stepping. Timing is important, i often see players kiting while KDed, the falling spider won't make it in time. Two methods to counter this, 1) bring black spider strike. Still kills npcs. 2) bring a snare, the snare doesn't need to be an assassin skill, eg. water magic.

Crippling dagger works if you don't mind the half range. Siphon speed is good to support the chain too. Winters embrace is relatively ok.... if you take shadow step.

With a snare, you'll be playing a supportive role with your elite while in a team of 8. With proper shutdown, you can take down a monk easily during splits, therefore your best friend is not another monk, but a shutdown mesmer.

Thus the last 4 skills should be: 1) snare 2)shadow stepping/IMS 3)self heal 4)skill of choice, or res sig.

Takes a little time to get used to. I tried it with shadow walk (very good in certain conditions where dash is needed), aod, recall(love this), replace elite with hidden caltrops(still kills warrior npc without problem, dark prison, death's charge(bring this if you don't want to take a self heal).

Footmen are pushovers. Also, don't worry about troll unguent. By the time the archer activates it, he should be dead. knights can be pulled and killed if the opposing team is unattentive. Bodyguards can be killed too.

I don't support solo killing bodyguards alone... its risky but doable. Return allows this to be done safely though. =)

Finally, it is very easy to kill a guild lord with the help of another high dps ally(not degen), but its not like the enemy won't send a monk to help. 1 monk can't save a guild lord's ***. a warrior plus a shutdown mesmer will be your best allies. 5:1:2 split is best, with yourself being in the group of 1. The group of two should have a mesmer and a warrior. A monk from the group of 5 can join in if you get desperate.

To summarise, this builds aims at
    1) solo npcs
    2) provide snare and degen support
    3) split tactics
    4) help in flag running when necessary(dash+self heal+shadow walk)
    or
    4) solo guild lord (return)

This build will start to show weaknesses when you reach high level gvg where teams are more attentive to their npcs. Play like a sin, find opportunities...
    Last edited by Kael Valeran; 01-05-2009 at 13:16.