PC Gaming News
Page 97 of 448 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    There are a few new (and extremely cheap) indie titles out on Steam that may be of interest...

Cthulu Saves the World (a throwback/satire JRPG)
    and
    Dungeons of Dredmore (a roguelike)

I'll likely snag Dredmore, since that 100 Rogues iOS game has given me a taste for roguelikes.
    I 100% intend to get Cthulu, as it looks fantastic. Just gonna finish up a game or two on my list before I buy any more :P

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    The latest Deus Ex trailer is taking an in-setting moral/political angle...

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono Mozza View Post
    I 100% intend to get Cthulu, as it looks fantastic. Just gonna finish up a game or two on my list before I buy any more :P
    I bought Dredmor and have been sucked in. The perma-death gives a great risk/reward ratio.

For those wanting to know a little more about Dungeons of Dredmor, here's a video where TotalBiscuit plays it.

From the game's Steam page:
    While you’re at it, be prepared to die. A lot. In hideous, screaming pain that makes you throw your keyboard out the window.

The Dungeons of Dredmor await. Are you ready for them?

Key features:
    - Classic Roguelike gameplay with the sweet, refreshing taste of point-and-click interfaces. No longer must you press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-x to drink a potion.

- Randomly generated dungeons entice you with the sweet, sweet promises of treasure and … things.

- Old-school pixel goodness. Face lovingly hand-animated monsters and enjoy the great taste of beautiful, individually rendered items on top of a sea of gorgeous, potent tile-work.

- Wield the awesome power of the Anvil of Krong, lest it wield you!

- Incredibly complicated crafting system! Wield relics of the Great Elven/Dwarven conflict; grind down ingots to make powdered aluminum and shove it directly up your nostrils!

- Hordes of monsters never-before-seen in a video game!

- Deploy cunning traps to defeat your foes!

- Infinite replay value: choose from a selection of mind-boggling skills to create your character. A new gameplay experience awaits every time!

- Did we mention there’s lutefisk?
    Last edited by Zalis; 25-07-2011 at 16:04.

With the Duke Nukem Fiasco in hindsight, reviving 90s franchises might seem like a dubious undertaking.

But nevertheless:

Carmageddon seems set for a remake, by the original studio who did the first two and "proper" Carmageddons no less.

And while yes, it was indeed a disgusting vehicular murder simulator -and shamelessly so-, it was also a very fun game, with rather advanced physics and driving models for its time.

Head-on collisions at 400 an hour, powersliding into groups of zimmer-framed grandmas -and getting bonus points for it-, the special reward car (a house-sized police APC as fast as a fighter jet, which you actually had to beat in vehicle-to-vehicle combat to get); Carmageddon was hands down one of the most entertaining games I have ever played.

RPS: Is there any scope to re-release the original games too, or is that tied up in whatever’s left of SCI?

Neil Barnden: We go round and round with the discussion on this one. We do own everything, so if we want to we can – we absolutely own the rights to all the previous code, even the stuff that’s Carmageddon-related that we didn’t work on ourselves. It’s all ours. But I think because it’s so easy to go online and find a copy of Carmageddon from a warez site or whatever, it doesn’t feel to us like there’d be an awful lot of point in just rereleasing the originals. We had talked about it, but on our website now we’ve got guys talking about how to get it running on Windows 7, various patches which make it look nicer and high-res, so rather than try and shut them down and go after the people distributing the game, we just thought we’ve got to embrace that and let ‘em have it. They can do with it what they want, because there’s been a really loyal, core modding community who’ve continued to put stuff out for the games. They’re still going.
    -And that's how you treat core fans of your franchise.
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 25-07-2011 at 16:39.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I do like their "let them have it" attitude. Be nice to the loyal fans, how can that ever be wrong?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    New Humble Bundle!!

This time sporting Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerflight and And Yet It Moves.

Grr, I already have two of those games on Steam already, AYIM during the Steam Summer Camp sale, so I'm going to feel a bit guilty claiming a Steam key.

Achievements:
    For once, I actually don't own any of the HIB games. Normally, they roll one of these promotions days or weeks after I've purchased one or more of the titles.

Achievements:
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Actual spam in our game-thread? What has the world come to?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtedEdit View Post
    Nice people on the forum!! Any of you guys live pretty near Las Vegas and want house keeping then look me up. Thanks!
    "House keeping".... riiiiight. Does that come with a happy ending?

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Maybe it's naked house cleaning!