PC Gaming News
Page 101 of 448 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4479
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Looks like Portal 2's Steam price got slashed to $29.99. Now all I need is a good 50% off sale and it shall be mine!

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I want to tell you to stop being cheap and buy it already, but that's kind of rude. So instead ill tell you that it was worth every penny. It is a great game. =D

Sent from my G2. lulz what typos?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Looks like Portal 2's Steam price got slashed to $29.99. Now all I need is a good 50% off sale and it shall be mine!
    Must be an all-around price drop, because it was $30 at Wal-Mart, too. Yes, I went to Wal-Mart.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Raye, the issue is that I don't game as much as I used to. I typically don't even finish most of the games I buy, so I don't like to pay full price.

But, yeah, I'm def being cheap lol

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Unless you multiplayer, you might as well wait for a good bargain. Playing Splinter Cell Conviction atm, just played FEAR 2. Cheap games by the time I got them. Same fun, or better because already patched.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    That reminds me, Alaris... I picked up SS:C for $8 the other month, but still haven't really played it. The coop looks fun.

Just bought The Witcher 2, and while I'm enjoying it, there's just so much that bugs the sh*t out of me. Like for example:

-The loading times, especially when reloading a quicksave after your untimely death.

-Very lineair so far.

-Surprise battles. I hate walking through a door, and then being suddenly locked in a tight courtyard with 5 guards that insta-kill me. Any sane person would atleast carefully look through the door, or atleast run back through the door. But the game has many of these lineair events that do not allow for logical strategies.

-Stealth sections are buggy and unreliable as hell. Surprise! The guard turned around at the very last second due to reasons unknown!

-Too many cut scenes. I hate losing control of my character every damn minute.

-Surprise boss battles. I like to, you know, prepare for a boss battle. Not walk into an invisible cutscene trigger, and be instantly taken into a confined boss arena before being able to take a potion or two. Hell, I spend a whole quest to get my hands on an anti venom against the boss, and now the game doesn't let me use it because I get insta teleported into the fight?!

-Quick-time events! F*CKING QUICK-TIME EVENTS! %$#@! I can't stand these blasted things. Nothing is more annoying than beating a boss, only to get a gameover screen due to the follow up quick-time event that requires you to press "insert key of choice" to not die.

It's not a bad RPG mind you. The quests are fun, its fully voiced, and there's as far as I can see a ton of content. The story is good (so far), with interesting characters, and gorgeous graphics. I just wish those gorgeous graphics wouldn't take so bloody long to load. One time I got a loading screen in the middle of combat, inside a tiny cave for crying out loud! It is as if the game tries to load everything in time before the player reaches it, but the loading just aint fast enough. Another problem with the game, is that it simply tries to do too much. There's sword play, magic, alchemy, a complete crafting system, traps, mutations, potion making, stealth. An RPG doesn't need that much content, because it tends to bog things down. It often feels as if the game itself groans underneath the weight of all the mechanics stacked on top of it, and struggles to explain it all to the player. And to top it off, the sword fighting aint all that good. Its chaotic, with lack of proper targeting, lack of proper blocking and lack of strafing options. Demons Souls is a better RPG, even if its much smaller, and with zero story. The reason I mention this is, if Witcher 2 had anything close to the proper fighting controls that Demons Souls has, it would have been so much better. I play Witcher 2 in normal mode (there's also easy, hard and advanced) yet still often find myself staring at a game over screen in mere seconds. This annoys the hell out of me, because its often due to reasons that are unfair and beyond my control. At least with Demons Souls I always felt like I had no one but myself to blame when ever I died. With Witcher 2, its always a combination between bad controls and an unfair battle situation that the player is teleported into, making any strategy or planning impossible.

My rant about Quick-time events:

Quick-time events annoy me to no end. The only games that I can remember where they were done right, were God of War and Heavy Rain. And as a side note, even God of War 2 fell into the same pitfall where players were able to defeat the final boss (Zeus) but not make it through the quick-time event, thus being forced to redo the battle. With Heavy Rain there were various paths incase you failed an onscreen prompt, so the quick-time events lead to a more dynamic action sequence. But every game since then has been copying it the wrong way. Both with Heavy Rain and God of War it was always pretty clear when one of these sequences would come up. And with God of War you would already be in the mindset of button mashing, so it wasn't such a big change of pace. God of War also made the buttons you had to press big as hell, and placed them roughly on the screen in a way that resembled the controller lay out. Basically you could respond to the buttons based on their position or color alone.

With Resident Evil 4 it annoyed me a lot. The first annoyance came with a giant boulder that came out of nowhere, and required the player to hammer X like crazy. Naturally the player isn't psychic, and you die. Redoing an action sequence like this takes away any feeling of immediacy or involvement. It feels like you are being punished for messing something up that clearly wasn't your fault.

With Uncharted it was a simular thing. Cut scenes were usually the moments when you hang back and relax, but all of a sudden a quick-time event!.... in panic you reach for the floor, trying to get a hold of the controller in time.... and you're dead. Now you have to rewatch the whole damn cut-scene again with your controller at the ready. Uncharted also had a boss with a quick-time event. Nothing is more unfair than having the player mess up during the final cut scene. I already beat the boss, why do I need to be punished for sitting back and watching the final cut scene in peace? Quick-time events come without warning, when you least expect them, and they always mean instant death.

The latest Tombraider games also had them, like for example Tombraider Legend. There usually was a tense mood when ever they would show up, but the first time is always a surprise, and its always instant death. The game had a habit of just restarting the cut scene though, instead of robbing you of your achievement. The quick-time events didn't add much though. I didn't feel more involved with the action just because I had to press a couple of buttons to "not-die". And in a couple of cases it wasn't even entirely clear what button I had to press. You see, PS3 has a tendency to have these really obscure icons whenever the shoulder buttons or the analogue sticks have to be used. Most of the time I can't read if the icon says R1, R2, L1 or L2. Sorry Crystal Dynamics, but not everyone has a ginormous flatscreen. I have a regular modest tv, and I can't read those damn icons in the slightest. And what am I supposed to do when an icon pops up with R3? R3 apparently is the right analogue stick... but am I supposed to move it, or press it? Because both analogue sticks can also be pressed down. And then there's also an icon that just shows the entire controller! Yes, because we have to shoehorn the ability to tilt the controller into every game whenever possible. Keep in mind that the game only gives you a mere second to respond correctly to these onscreen prompts or you die!

Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit (alternative title) was the absolute worst. It sometimes had quick-time scenes that lasted a full 10 minutes! The final act of this game was a horrific series of quick-time scenes where you had to get every button right.

With Witcher 2 I've so far only encountered these quick-time events during boss battles and during fist fights. And in both cases, they can cost you a fair amount of health if you mess them up. In the case of a boss battle, its usually instant death; either because the quick-time event kills you if you make a mistake, or because you are already low health due to the boss, making the quick-time event the killing blow.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 15-08-2011 at 08:00.

Achievements:
    What I played of Indigo Prophecy annoyed me with QTEs, but only because they were so long. I didn't mind the ones in Dead Space, for instance.

But specifically talking about The Witcher 2, maybe you ought to let that save game cool off until The Witcher 2, 2.0 releases.

---

Some guy goes into ridiculous amounts of depth while describing his hands-on experience with next year's Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Apparently, Valve wants it to be a real e-sports title. That's not surprising with them doing DotA2.
    Last edited by Zalis; 16-08-2011 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit (alternative title) was the absolute worst. It sometimes had quick-time scenes that lasted a full 10 minutes! The final act of this game was a horrific series of quick-time scenes where you had to get every button right.
    I still can't get through The Storm part of that game...

Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon View Post
    I still can't get through The Storm part of that game...
    It's sad that they (the developers) felt they needed to rush this game out so quickly, and stuff the end game with none-stop "simon-says" button sequences.

Also, at the end the story of Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit goes completely bonkers. It's like if you're reading Lord of the Rings, and then BAM, robots from the future! "Where is Sarah Connor?". Really, the story goes batsh*t insane in a blink of an eye, while it started out as a pretty suspenseful murder mystery.

Heavy Rain is a better game in every respect: Better graphics, better story, better game design, better use of quick-time events... and same amount of explicit sex. Yay for adult games having actual adult content (thanks to the French).