PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Late

Post Starting Late

I bought this game pretty much when it first came out, but only played it about a month. I tried again a year later, and played it maybe another month. That's basically my experience with GW's.

I'm wondering, is it too late to even bother starting GW's now? With GW2 apparently coming out in 09/10, i'm not sure if i want to buy all the campaigns, get really far into GW, just to have GW2 come out. I only have Prophecies atm.
    I'm also wondering if the learning curve will be too steep? I remember the last time i jumped in and tried to play this game, i couldn't get into any PvP/GvG/Etc groups because they only wanted experienced players. Which i was not. No one wanted to take me under their wing, so i was essentially left playing GW solo all the time.

I'm a casual person that enjoys PvP. I played DAoC for 5 years. I also enjoy PvE occasionally, but i mainly find enjoyment from PvP/RvR/GvG/1v1. You get the idea.

Basically, i'm wondering how to go about finding a casual, yet determined guild when it comes to PvP and PvE. I'm also wondering if the effort is even worth it this late in the game?

Thanks

In my humble opinion, and as a PvE player mostly, I think coming in now to PvP is going to be very hard. There are fewer new players, and most of the ongoing guilds have older/experienced players, used to winning. You would think they would take the time to train/bring up newbies to maintain the game, but in general, good luck finding that guild.

There has been similar complaints about joining teams at PvE cities. Everybody is looking for experts and ubber players. Again, there is always the kind soul out there, but they get harder to find.

Re, playing while GW2 comes out, I would think it IS worth it. I think you learn and practice a lot of game mechanics, and many of the players in GW will move to GW2 and then you can play in an even keel with them, so consider it an investment. Also, I think you might be able to pickup the other campaigns at reduced price and they do have a lot of content and fun.

Also, search for a thread here. Seems there is some GW stuff that might transfer to GW2. I just read the topic, not sure if it is true, but good one to read FYI.

"Casual PvP" is a strange concept. Casual implies you don't have as much practice/experience, so it is going to be hard to win against semi-pro teams. :-)

This could be a notice to active PvP guilds : you should recruit and train newbie players, for the stars of tomorrow (GW2?) are waiting to be shown how to play right, and YOU have the experience.
    Last edited by The Iron Monkey; 17-10-2008 at 21:12.

GvG is sort of the end-game of PvP. There are lots of casual play PvP types. Try screwing around in places like Random Arena, Team Arena is someone gives you a build to play, Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood. You'll also meet plenty of people by doing this. Go in without a guild tag, play a good game, and I can almost guarantee you you'll get guild invitations. You'll also get competent at game mechanics.

Edit: Also the expansions are all getting to be quite cheap. I say go for it.

Edit 2: You can also do Hero Battles if you get Night Fall. No one can kick you off a team if you and your NPCs ARE the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    GvG is sort of the end-game of PvP. There are lots of casual play PvP types. Try screwing around in places like Random Arena, Team Arena is someone gives you a build to play, Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood.

So, i'm aware of Random Arena and Team Arena. I know that it's something you can join by yourself. You don't have to pre-arrange a team or anything, you just join the queue. Right?
    I don't know much about Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood though. Are those something you can join on your own? Without having to be in a guild, or be in a premade group? You can just join solo, and get put in with other players?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
    I don't know much about Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood though. Are those something you can join on your own? Without having to be in a guild, or be in a premade group? You can just join solo, and get put in with other players?
    It requires the Factions campaign, and while you can't just enter a battle solo, groups, in Alliance Battles anyway, are always being formed. AB is a very easy way to gain Balthazar Faction which will help you unlock skills.

For AB, don't you have to be in a guild to go join? Or at least guest invited? Because AFAIK the only way to get in is through a guild hall belonging to either Kurzick or Luxon.
    Den mother of In Pace Requiescat. We're recruiting!

I disagree that it would be hard to get into PvP

The question to the OP, is if they're willing to work at it. People won't carry you, expect to be corrected and be willing to take the advice of more experienced players and you can break into pvP fairly easily.

If you're wanting to PvP I would advise getting the PvP access kit - it's all the campaigns, and a good 6-7 builds worth of free unlocks. But PvP side only, if you want the storys you'll have to purchase each game individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
    So, i'm aware of Random Arena and Team Arena. I know that it's something you can join by yourself. You don't have to pre-arrange a team or anything, you just join the queue. Right?
    As mentioned, those two types of PvP require owning Factions.

For Fort Aspenwood (and the seldom played Jade Quarry) you just join the queue like RA and get put in an 8v8 with a few NPCs on either side. It's a lot like "Team Fortress" or something like that from Half Life or Unreal.

For Alliance Battles you form groups of 4 and then join a queue for 12vs12 with a few NPCs on your side. There is either zero requirement for joining a team or if you join a "real" team that actually works together, it's like a way less stringent version of TA. This is also similar to an Unreal style of play, you fight over control points. Sort of like "Dustbowl" on the old Half Life TFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuujinx View Post

Oh dang. For some reason i didn't even notice that link when i first read your post. Yeah, i'm definitely willing to listen and follow instruction. That's actually what i'm wanting. Someone to take me under their wing and show me the ropes.

I might have to give this "Team Love" a yell. See if they will let me in, and teach me... First off though, i think i'll go through the entire campaign, and do some Random Arena first. Just so that i have a good grasp of the basics. Then maybe give these Team Love guys a yell.

Thanks for that link.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

[Dii]
    Also, you may want to listen to some vent recordings from GvGs. I don't know if [kiSu] has any on their forums (obviously it'd be best to listen to some from the team you want to play with), but a quick google search dug these up: http://www.gamerdna.com/GuildForum.php?f=8056

It can give you an impression of what it's like to play.