PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frustration and how to solve it

Hello fellow guild-mates!

Just thought I would stop in and see if I could get a little help with one of my characters...

First off, I will let you know that I am a stay-at-home father of two kids, therefore with our finances the way they are, I only own Prophecies and Eye of the North sets. Given this, my choice of skills available to me is very limited.

I have found that my character build is pretty useless, and casting around on the net looking at the elite skills available to my E/N is depressing given that there is not much that I can even get to yet given that I have not progressed far enough in the campaign to capture those skills. I have reached a major brick wall in my campaign progression because I have noticed that it's just getting too hard for me to stay alive. Hence my post here...

I am trying to find a good build for my E/N and my Heroes using skills unlocked up to the Desert in Prophecies. As stated before I do not have access to Nightfall or Factions skills. I am open to any build using either Ele or Necro or hybrid, any element. If anybody can help me with a decent build, I would be very appreciative. My heroes are Gwen, Vekk, and Ogden.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Ah, the desert... It's always been a tough spot. If you give us more details of where exactly you're stuck, I'm thinking that it might be more of a question of tactics than a question of build.

Generally, I find that towards endgame, you need more interrupts. Gwen is perfect for that, just give her a few fast-recharging interrupts, and perhaps caster hate (i.e. damages casters when they cast). I don't know mesmer skills that much, but that's what I would look into.

Also, in the desert missions, there are some potent healing monks. It can get really hard to take them down, especially if there are more than one. So here's what helps. (1) make sure to aggro only one group at a time, pull them if you have to. (2) take out the monk first. I find that using Pain Inverter on the elementalist (or warrior if there's no elementalist) and then concentrating my efforts on the monk works well. Pain Inverter is available in EotN, and it is profession-independent. If you can find a way to daze a monk, that helps tons too when he's under focused fire from the team.

Good luck,
    Alaris
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

The Order Of Dii
    You can have decent build even without any elites, at least good enough to go through desert.

There are some elites that can be reached in EotN much faster than in Prophecies campaing, one of them being Water Trident which can be found little north to Eye of the North. Though it's not so great as an elite.

I would load Gwen best interrupts you have, she can do good damage too given skills like empathy and backfire which are availeable early at prophecies campaign.

Also if you have few skills availeable for your heroes, consider using henchmen instead - their builds have originally designed for areas they are hired from and may perform better than heroes that do not have enough skills/max weapons.

Put your and your heroes builds here and we may be able to help some more.
    Last edited by Viti Ligo; 06-11-2008 at 10:25.

Miley Stormcaller's Build: http://gw.gamependium.com/tools/buil...At%2FK8w6GMyCA

Gwen's build: http://gw.gamependium.com/tools/buil...E5wDFBFZQBx8DA

Vekk's Build: http://gw.gamependium.com/tools/buil...zh3GV5oF3Cn5iJ

Ogden's Build: http://gw.gamependium.com/tools/buil...Ij1skzEkxUkhEA

I haven't messed with the heroes builds that much other than giving them hard rez in some cases...I'm pretty noobish at this game...

I did find a build on pvxwiki that I would like to try, but I will need to purchase nightfall first: http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Build:E/...s_Elementalist

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

The Order Of Dii
    I looked those builds through and some things came to mind:
    1) You have rez signet on your self all ALL your heroes have resurrection. If you haven't disabled resurrection on your heroes, this can be a problem. When somebody dies ALL of your heroes will try to resurrect the fallen partymember. Also possible monk henchies are doing the same thing. Resurrection has a long cast time so enemies can freely kill some more during that time...

2) Altough all of your heroes have monk secodary they do not have any other monk skills than resurrect. If you keep monk as their secondary try to put some other monk skills on them. Purge conditions and Remove hex came to mind first - they both are availeable early in prophecies, are 5 energy spells and unlinked, so you do not need to spread attributes for them. Also you can buy protective spirit from amnoon oassis - and I would recommed you to do so and equip some of your heroes with it and some points in protection prayers.

3) Gwen's build has some energy demanding skills in it, but no energy management - I would suggest to equip some energy management skills or cheaper skills.

That's something to start with... and consider also what I said about henchies.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I think you should focus a bit more on EOTN as you can get some additional good Heroes there. If you do the Asuran quests, you can get Livia (N) and then continue in that area to get Pain Inverter that Alaris mentioned. Other skills from EOTN are quite good and you can do fine without NF or Factions until your wife gets that raise.

Also, if you get stuck in the Desert, or anywhere, give a shout for help in Alliance chat.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Thanks guys...I'll do that.

I've gotten over myself and started asking for help more from the alliance...as a result I am currently 2/3 of the way through my ascension quest and plan to have it done by tonight...if I can get somebody for Dunes of Despair...

As for EotN, yeah, I think I will be moving along there as well...a Necro hero would come in quite handy methinks.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I’d cut out mending, it’s not a very good skill generally. Vital blessing I would also recommend against, basically, maintained enchants should be avoided unless you’re actually using a bonder or specialty build IMO. The other skills look good. I’d try to add some group skills, like Aegis. I’m not sure what Prophecies has in terms of skills, but one or two group-support skills can make it easier to keep the party alive.

I’d also cut the conjure phantasm, it has too few points in it to be useful. Perhaps a skill that steals energy instead? Make sure you don’t spread yourself too thin… I usually try to fit within 2 attributes, 3 max.

I’d leave Gwen in charge of rezzing (fast cast rez) and disable rezzes on other heroes. You can manually click them if needed.

Vekk seems fine. I usually try to have a MM on my team, and with new characters, before I get a MM, I usually make the ele take the role. You don’t need much, just take 1-2 skills out and replace them with death magic minions, and shift a few points there. It’s not optimal, but it can help.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by AmerginCC View Post
    Thanks guys...I'll do that.

I've gotten over myself and started asking for help more from the alliance...as a result I am currently 2/3 of the way through my ascension quest and plan to have it done by tonight...if I can get somebody for Dunes of Despair...

As for EotN, yeah, I think I will be moving along there as well...a Necro hero would come in quite handy methinks.
    My main IGN is Dena Deathbringer. If you want the bonus at Dunes and don't mind a possible few restarts for the right spawn, I can bring a N/Mo to help. I should be on tonight.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

What armor level do you have right now? Since you only have Prophecies and you do not appear to be far into EotN, perhaps you're having trouble because your armor is low? I wouldn't buy new armor right now though, since you're very close to max armor in Prophecies. However, you might want to consider making Ogden more Protection oriented. The henchman can, for the most part, keep up with the heal if you're not over-aggroing too much.

For your fire elementalist build, I would recommend getting Fire Attunement. You can get it for free with The Royal Papers quest at Fisherman's Haven. Also, I'm a big fan of Mark of Rodgort on my fire builds. Don't underestimate the usefulness of burning. If you haven't unlocked it yet, you won't be able to buy it till later. However, you can unlock it via Balthazar's faction points, then buy it at any Prophecies skill trainer. You can easily make 1000 Balth points by doing the training, if you normally don't do any PvP.

If you decide to get Mark of Rodgort, you can make Vekk fire too, so burning triggers more often. Heck, I'll sometimes even bring the fire henchman to add more fire. I don't believe anything in the desert is fire resistant, so it should be fine to load up on it. Prophecies, for good or for bad, can be finished using brute force.

Also, regarding heroes, they don't have to have full bars. Sometimes they're more effective if they only concentrate on a handful of skills. For example, I agree with Viti and Alaris on Gwen. Drop Conjure Phantasm and reorganize the skill a bit for more energy/utility. For caster heavy situations (hydras, dual monks), just load her up with cheap interrupts. Otherwise, go with an anti-melee build with something like Clumsiness or Wandering Eye. But like Alaris said, don't spread yourself too thin. Stick with 2-3 lines, max. Usually for mesmers that means a Dom or Illusion build, plus FC and Inspiration.

Good luck.

-T