PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! laptop crashes when running GW

My laptop crashes immediately when I try to run GW, then it gets extremely heated up. Been trying to run GW when laptop is all cooled, but still it doesnt work. I suspect my graphic card (nVidia GeForce 8400M GS) is not supporting the game... but I have been playing about 2 weeks without any problems b4 this. (ingame graphic option has been set to minimum, although I have been playing with medium options...)

When its about to crash, a windows popup says "the monitor drive has been stopped".
    Anyone else experienced the same problem, or can help me with this please?

Doi Thu, another GW lover
    Last edited by Doi Thu; 08-12-2008 at 23:02.

this'll probably get moved to the tech support area.
    Please post what the processor is, and memory you have available on the computer as well.
    What type of laptop it is would help too.
    It sounds like you may have a graphics problem, but it might also be memory issues.
    As a start, when you start up the laptop, hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up the taskmaster. Shut down anything you don't normally need or use.
    After that, start up the game, see how it runs. Also at startup, if you can at least get to the log in screen, put the game to the lowest settings possible.
    We can go from there.

The other thing is, have you had any updates since you started playing?

Are you running on vista? Because vista has a problem with NVidia cards, where it says stuff like, "Display device has stopped responding but has recovered" and you get a black screen for about 10 seconds. Try older drivers, or omega drivers, but if you're running vista, this is a global problem and not GW specific.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8400MS card coupled with Vista Home Premium and I run the game fine. You even stated that you've been playing with the same specs before this happened, so I wouldn't suspect a graphic's card compatibility issue.

Have you tried upgrading all of your drivers?

Read the following between performing the steps:

1) Download and install This
    2) Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features, Uninstall the Nvidia Drivers
    3) Reboot insto safe mode (Hold F8 when you're PC is restarting)
    4) Run Driver Sweeper and remove left over nvidia drivers
    5) reboot into vista, go to Nvidia's site and download and install the drivers fory our card.

After doing that, post back here if it still does that.

Ty for replying, i have tried everything mentioned above...but now its even worse... The fan keep running at full speed then stop, and repeats itself like that constantly...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamuness View Post
    Are you running on vista? Because vista has a problem with NVidia cards, where it says stuff like, "Display device has stopped responding but has recovered" and you get a black screen for about 10 seconds. Try older drivers, or omega drivers, but if you're running vista, this is a global problem and not GW specific.
    Yes. I started out with the problem as you described here.

Ryuujinx: I accidently cleaned Nvidia-chipset when used Driver Sweeper ... do you think this made the problem even worse?

My laptop:
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500
    2.2 GHZ
    3 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Windoes Vista home premium 32bit

Sounds to me it's overheating then. And if you cleared the chipset, you should be able to find it on the Laptop's website (Gateway.com, hp.com, etc) just uninstall and reinstall it.

So once you get that taken care of go ahead and grab Riva Tuner

Play some gw and monitor the temps your card gets. (I think it will work on mobile cards)

The Geforce 8400M GS is known to overheat due to a design flaw. Some vendors, like Dell and HP, have BIOS updates to modify the fan speed. Here are some example topics.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2172
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-geforce-8400m
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=51835

In some cases, they have to replace the whole mainboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathardia View Post
    The Geforce 8400M GS is known to overheat due to a design flaw. Some vendors, like Dell and HP, have BIOS updates to modify the fan speed. Here are some example topics.

In some cases, they have to replace the whole mainboard.
    This is most likely the case. The heat you talk about in your first post is a sign of design flaws and not driver issues. Yes Drivers can help but a Laptop should NEVER EVER get really hot.

The issue may have already caused other issues with the system and if it is still under warranty I would contact the manufacturer immediately.

this is a problem known by microsoft and is easily fixed by switching windows desktop to 16bit mode. Worked for 5 of my guildies.