PC Gaming News

Thread: Soloing?

GWOnline.Net Member

Soloing?

I made a warrior about 2 or 3 days ago and I'm level 10. I'm new to this game and I feel like when I'm in a party the henchmen do most of the work. So I decided to test that. I went out solo and fought where we usually do. The guys I were killing were in packs of 4 and 3 were level 1 and the last one was level 6. Is it bad that I die about 50% of the time to these packs? It comes down to a very close fight between the level 6 and I. I just feel like I can't solo enough :/

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    GW is not made to solo....there are some builds that can, but most require you to be lvl 20 with a certain gear setup.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Eh okay, I just think that I should be able to solo a little bit atleast.

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

StormBluff
    Guild

GWOA, TRUE
    Are you bringing healing signet? Hex/Condition removal?

The problem with trying to solo at lower levels is lack of skills and equipment.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I got new armour and I bring healing signet along but I don't use it because I get hit so hard when I cast it. I worked on it a bit and now I can solo em =D

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    You should at least bring Alesia (or any other monk) with you on suchlike adventures.

Oh, you're in Cantha, right? That's Taya then, not Alesia.

A newbie warrior dieing against elementalists like those Kappa sounds likely, too - the armor of warriors is good against physical damage, while those Kappa use elementalist damage. Thanks to you needing to run close to them to hurt them at all, you also enable them to use their ice spear spell (half the range of normal spellcasting), which is probably what gets you killed. A ranger or a caster doesn't have to run close to them and thus can avoid the ice spears at least. The Kappa also have a protective monster-only skill which reduces the amount of damages you can deal to them according to their level (-1 damages received by the lvl 1 Kappalings, -6 damages received by the lvl 6 Kappas). If you're wielding one of those weapons that drop on the first two maps, then this denies probably about all of your autoattack damage. But well, that's specifics.

There are solo builds around, but these are typically for specific mob types. What works against, for instance, pure assassin mobs, doesn't work against mixed mobs and certainly not against elementalists.

So, I'd still suggest that you take at least Taya or Aeson along when you feel like proving your manhood by bashing up monsters without the help of offensive henchmen. Taya and Aeson will just do their best to keep you alive, not deal any significant damage.
    Last edited by Lytha; 13-02-2009 at 08:27.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

The Order of Dii
    Another thing you have to realize is while some parts of the game are "soloable" with the right build/gear, for the most part each profession fills a certain role in combat. For the warrior, that role is to basically attract attention to him/herself while your teammates, especially elementalists, can "rain death" upon those guys and monks and ritualists can heal the party without the fear of having 3, 4, 5 enemies slugging their way at them. While some parts of this game can be played alone, the basic design of the game is that you don't.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The game wasn't built around soloing... but you can have more of a fair challenge (or feel more involved) but having fewer hench than the max.

You'll find though that if you play well, you'll make a difference in how fast you go through mobs. And how far in the game you can go. You will also learn that controlling your hench is part of what you do as a player. This will be more important when you start facing AoE effects.

But it is true that hench can support you through at least chunks of the early game without you doing anything.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I bet the level 6 you went against was the boss. Probably the monk boss.
    Something to remember, bosses have an innate +4 regen, recharge and cast skills twice as fast, and hit for double damage with either attacks or skills.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    No, Noa.

The guys I were killing were in packs of 4 and 3 were level 1 and the last one was level 6.
    The IIRC only mobs looking like that are Kappa near the W trainer in Panjiang Peninsula. 3-4 in total, most are lvl 1, and one is a lvl 6 kappa.

There's the plant ele boss group in Plains of Jarin which is looking similar to that (lvl 6 with some lvl 1 buddies), but that's not "packs", since it's a singular mob on the whole map. And I'm quite certain that a lvl 10 could kill those solo. With the kappa, I find it plausible that he ran into trouble because of their kappa shell trick.