PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCI FI Channel to become Syfy

Building on 16 years of water-cooler programming and soaring ratings growth following its most-watched year ever, SCI FI Channel is evolving into Syfy, beginning this summer, Dave Howe, president, SCI FI, announced today.

By changing the name to Syfy, which remains phonetically identical, the new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider range of current and future imagination-based entertainment beyond just the traditional sci-fi genre, including fantasy, supernatural, paranormal, reality, mystery, action and adventure. It also positions the brand for future growth by creating an ownable trademark that can travel easily with consumers across new media and nonlinear digital platforms, new international channels and extend into new business ventures.
    Translation: We wanted a name we could trademark.

Sigh Fail?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    The tagline of "Imagine Greater" seems the worst part to me.

Someone from another forum on the topic - What 'SyFy' could mean in Polish:
    Spoiler

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMoon View Post
    Sigh Fail?
    /signed

And indeed...

That's pretty stupid, but I really don't care. SciFi only has one show worth watching currently. Not sure at what point all the "omg ghosts and paranormal and physics hurr" crap started taking over, but it's horrible.

I just hope they bring Eureka back.

Quote Originally Posted by B Ephekt View Post
    I loved that show.

The only thing they have on that I watch is Stargate, but that's over by the time I get home..

There are no new Stargates airing right now anyway. SG1 was killed off, and Atlantis doesn't start back up for a few months. All they have currently is BSG, which is ending in a few weeks.

I wish they'd bring back Firefly or pickup the Surface IP.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Ephekt View Post
    Ditto. Eureka and the soon-to-finale BSG are all I really watch on Sci-Fi. I hear Eureka's not returning until summer. (such an awkward season break last fall)

As for Stargate, I've never really liked the series. Rumor has it that SG: Universe will be less like old SG and more serious like BSG. (real acting-oh noz, it might scare off the regular SG fans!) That could be good, but we'll have to wait and see. A lot of hardcore Sci-fi genre fans seem to cry "soap opera!" every time a series approaches the label of drama. To be fair, BSG had its share in season 3... so it's not completely unwarranted.

Again with BSG... I actually didn't watch last week's ep. It's downloaded, but I'm waiting to watch Daybreak 1 & 2 together for the full 3 hour series finale effect. I hear that's how it was meant to be aired anyway. (before the second half ran long)

So, yes, SyFy is lame. At least they're running LOST reruns now...
    Last edited by Zalis; 18-03-2009 at 18:26.