PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Skills

Bad Skills

We were sitting around the house the other day and were talking about skills that are just junk. so i thought i would get your opinons.

What are your Top OMG Stupid and would never use skill.

i am not talking about using a skill on your build that is just dumb from a 2nd or primary like using a Hammer Skill when you have only Swords equipped.

So lets see what you have and why.

We should start with one profession at a time i think because the list should be long. Ill start out with some warrior ones:

Doylak Signet: Because a Slow warrior is a useless warrior, only good for taking screenshots with slow walk.

Signet of Strenght: Because any skill that deals 5...80 damage without being spike and with 45 second recharge is a waste of a skillslot.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    I'll start with the Elementalist's ones, if you don't mind!

Air

[[Glimmering Mark] - Because a skill that deals 300 elemental damage (which is easily reduced. It doesn't even have armor penet) to a single target over a 10 sec span while preventing any other skill from being applied, therefore killing synergy, is not good. Besides, it eats your elite slot.

[[Ride the Lightning] - Because an ele teleporting right into the mouth of a mob is not a good idea.

[[Mind Shock] - Considering there's stuff like [[Lightning Surge] this makes the skill bad in comparison. I'll take the unconditional KD over the conditional one any time.

Now, I was debating myself about [[Gust] or not, but this could work out in a KD-lock build, filled with KDs.

Earth

[[Ash Blast] - While a nice concept, it's hard for an ele to time a 1 sec skill when KDs usually last 2 sec. Without the Blind bonus, the skills just becomes too weak as a damage spell.

[[Earthen Shackles] - Okay, I know this can work with a Searing Flames ele, but there's little in PvE that requires such an enormous single-target snare (water magic snares, while less powerfull, are AoE and unconditional), and in PvP it will simply get removed.

[[Iron Mist] - Seriously, the only use for it is to plant the bomb during FA games on Gunther. Outside that, I seriously doubt anyone ever used this.

[[Kinetic Armor] - A skill that forces the ele to spam spam spam. That in itself is bad enough. It prevents you from kiting, since it would end during those 8 seconds. It has an enourmous recharge, making it a juice target for shater'ing, not to mention it has a 3 sec cast. This skill screams for an interrupt.

[[Magnetic Aura] - While this skill pratically makes you immune to meele attacks for a short time, tanking was never a good strategy in GW. If your ele is under attack from a meele he should kite while waiting for the prot to arrive. It got used in DoA with the Obsidian Tank build, but that's PUG's and no one cares about them. In PvP, the skill is useless.

[[Stone Daggers] - Lol, do I need to say anything about this one? Useless damage, single target only, wastes precious energy and time spamming this away.

[[Stone Sheath] - If it wasn't elite it probably would be decent as a battle controlling element, preventing conjures from being used and forcing the enemy team to deal a specific damage type.

[[Ward Against Elements] - 24 armor won't save your team if you're being spiffed with a flurry of Searing Flames. Spreading out and applying Prot Spirit does.

Fire

[[Burning Speed] - While it seems nice as a quick super-speed kiting, it's very costly and damages you as well.

[[Double Dragon] - If you want a PBAoE spell, [[Flame Djinn's Haste] does the same with a bonus. If you want an atribute-boosting skill, [[Glyph of Elemental Power] is better. Not worth the elite slot.

[[Flare] - Lol, do I need to say anything?

[[Lava Arrows] - Because striking 3 targets with mediocre damage for half-range is not good for an ele that could be blasting everyone from full range.

[[Lava Font] - Simply because it's a PBAoE DoT spell. Too risky for a squishy.

[[Mind Burn] - Useless in PvP, doesn't go well in PvE since Fire is about AoE, not single-target.

[[Meteor] - Too long of a recharge to make it usefull. Besides, it has the annoying property of missing if the target is on a speed boost.

[[Phoenix] - The PBAoE aspect is useless since you have Flame Djinn already. The projectile aspect does the same as a normal [[Fireball].

[[Smoldering Embers] - Prevents Burning if target is moving. No thank you. Too weak of a secondary effect for this skill to be usefull.

[[Star Burst] - Because an elite touch spell that completely kills your energy pool is always good, amiright?

Water

[[Armor of Frost] ; [[Frigid Armor] - Too specific to be usefull on a general basis.

[[Ice Spear] - While the damage is the best of the ele's 3 spamming skils, half range is not a good idea.

[[Icy Prism] - Too specific and single target only. Useless without [[Rust].

[[Mind Freeze] - There's simply better snares out there. Too little damage.

[[Mirror of Ice] - Okay, I'm not a fan of this one. But I know this is pretty good in PvP to spike high armoured targets. Decide for yourself.

[[Mist Form] - Outdated farming elite.

[[Swirling Aura] - It hax so many wrong points I won't bother to post them all. Kinda obvious if you look at the skill.

[[Winter's Embrace] - Because running at the same speed as your target is always the point of a snare, right? It also has another downside, being the fact that once you swing with a weapon at your target, you'll never catch up with him again since your both running at the same speed.

Energy Storage

[[Elemental Attunement] - Waste of an elite when each atribute, including Energy Storage, has much better choices. Gives a bad habbit to starting eles about never needing to watch their energy bar. And then the enchantment goes shattered and you have an useless and energy dry ele.

No Atribute

[[Glyph of Concentration] ; [[Glyph of Essence] ; [[Glyph of Sacrifice] - All of them have very narrow uses, usually found on gimmick builds.

[[Second Wind] - Interesting mechanic, not very usefull on practise when there's better energy management skills without filling yourself with Exhaustion.

This thread seems interesting.
    Last edited by Nemeon Lion; 06-05-2009 at 23:35.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    I'll start with the Elementalist's ones, if you don't mind!

Fire

[Flare] - Lol, do I need to say anything?
    Yes, please...

I find Flare a good skill to have on a fire ele bar, especially for starter elementalists. Later in the game, it might become a bit... jadded... but it still has it uses for a lot of the game.

And I'd never use Barrage... Just because everybody thinks a ranger should bring it...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    I'll disagree with a couple skills Nem.

Mindshock isn't bad.
    It deals as much damage as LOrb and almost always kd's the target. It has a good cast time, a low cost and a low recharge.
    You're not going to spam it anyways, but having recharged fast is good.

Earthen shackles, now definitely not good by any means, but insanely fun in AB because of the magnitude of the snare.
    One of the most fun builds, comparable to FC water trident.

Burning Speed is pretty terrible, but as its self condition inflicting, it serves a great purpose in Contagion spikes which is a pretty awesome concept.

Mirror of Ice is overpowered, so really, it isn't bad.

The glyphs are very specific but has seen use a whole lot of times over the years.
    Essence is particularly hilarious on dom mesmers, concentration had its uses for rainbow spikes and sac for MS and reschant.

[Decapitate]
    Don't know what they thought of when conceiving this one, except "let's try and make a new Evis; they're gonna love it!".
    It's a dw you can't follow up on, at all.
    So obviously bad I've never even seen it in Awood or RA.
    Even more so since it can't really be changed into something good without being exactly the same as or overshadowing the benchmark skill that is Evis.
    And overshadowing benchmark skills is the way to imbaland.
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 07-05-2009 at 10:19.

You can actually follow it up.
    Just switch to an +5e weapon after using Decap.

Or better, use a -5e weapon and then switch to a regular one after Decap.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    Yes, please...

I find Flare a good skill to have on a fire ele bar, especially for starter elementalists. Later in the game, it might become a bit... jadded... but it still has it uses for a lot of the game.

It's good on a starter's elementalist because a starting ele doesn't have the energy pool and energy management skills to bring the most powerfull and usefull skills ([[Rodgort's Invocation] for example). But that doesn't mean the concept around the skill was created is bad. You deal 65 dmg, for comparison sake, which is easily reduced thanks to high armor, each 1.75 sec (cast time + atercast) for 5 energy each. In 2 sec you could have casted a rodgort's and pretty much put every enemy health at an half.

Besides, a good ele (not saying you aren't one Lady ) will build his/her skillbar in a way that there's no need to ever wand the target, continously cycling through their different skills. This means you can keep pumping powerfull skills without having any downtime, making the spam-feature of Flare useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    I'll disagree with a couple skills Nem.

Mindshock isn't bad.
    It deals as much damage as LOrb and almost always kd's the target. It has a good cast time, a low cost and a low recharge.
    You're not going to spam it anyways, but having recharged fast is good.

Earthen shackles, now definitely not good by any means, but insanely fun in AB because of the magnitude of the snare.
    One of the most fun builds, comparable to FC water trident.

Burning Speed is pretty terrible, but as its self condition inflicting, it serves a great purpose in Contagion spikes which is a pretty awesome concept.

Mirror of Ice is overpowered, so really, it isn't bad.

The glyphs are very specific but has seen use a whole lot of times over the years.
    Essence is particularly hilarious on dom mesmers, concentration had its uses for rainbow spikes and sac for MS and reschant.

Maybe I should have said in my post IMHO.

I was comparing Mind Shock to Lightning Surge, since after the buff the way they interact is very much alike (besides skill costs). However, that also raises the point if you are low on energy, Mind Shock secondary effect will fail and you'll deal very mediocre damage and get exhaustion nonetheless. At least Surge is always full power.

But I guess comparing to Orb, with perfect conditions (high energy, no exhaustion), then yes, it isn't as bad as I thought. I would still take some other elite, like Blinding Surge instead.

In what skillbar is Mirror of Ice overpowered? I gotta admit, been years since I last did any GvG, let alone RA or TA, so the only use I could see is Ice Spear spamming for 110 dmg a cast for 5 energy. But I have a pretty big hunch it's not that.

And about the glyphs, while it's true they have always been used in very specific builds, the "specific" part is what bugs me. I never liked narrow-minded skills. I remember playing a Star Burst spike build in HA (lol, laugh all you want!) and while nice seeing an instant Meteor Shower, it can still be easily countered by spreading out, leaving you with a 90 sec-recharge Shower.

Been a while since I last had a debate on skills. I'm usually the one who does this in our alliance, you know, making sure the future veteran players don't get the idea that kilroying is good . Hhmm, maybe that's why we complete GW PvE as if it was a a tutorial. Gotta love the GWO alliance!
    Last edited by Nemeon Lion; 07-05-2009 at 15:31.

I think skills should only be considered bad when they see little to no use at all. Many of the skills that Nem mentions see plenty of use.

Fetid ground, is an example of a skill that sees almost no use.

Fetid Ground is used as a followup spike skill for Minionfactories.

MoI is overpowered in spike builds.
    It's only use is for spiking which is stupid.
    Kappas (me/e) use it in spike builds, all their skills effectively deal about 100+ damage.
    Keep in mind, all those skills also have defensive purposes, Shard Storm, Freezing Gust, Rust.

In case of Mind Shock, you shouldn't really ever be low enough on energy to not kd with it.
    Only, perhaps against eles it might fail, but you'll always be switching to your highset when spiking with it anyways so really, no trouble there.

You usually have another skill you can use to spike with every other odd time to keep exhaustion from reaching fatal levels.