PC Gaming News

Hybrid View

GWOnline.Net Member

reorder, what's the point?

Melee on top, midline in middle and backline in slots 7-8. What's the point? It's like giving away some of the basic things about your build in the first seconds of playing. In most original builds it's not immediatly apparent which player is healing, which is spike or who does support, but reordering kills that little advantage.

So I was playing with math and 2 prism healers (ya scrub I know :p) which obviously consisted of 8 eles. I thought it'd be wonderful that it wouldn't be obvious who the healers were but my team insisted on reordering.

I monk quite often myself as I don't trust others with the backline and I honestly don't have the slightest problem with unordered teams. If you know your build you know who to prot/heal regardless of place in the party.

So what is it that I'm missing? I believe it's just something noobs do to feel "elite" because the "pro" gw players do it too.

If you play a game of chess, stop in the middle of it, and let an experienced chess player look at the board to memorize it, he'll be able to replicate the position of all pieces exactly. However, if you place them randomly, and then let him look, he won't be able to do that.

Why? Because when you were playing, you created certain situations, such as your pawns guarding a section of the board, or your knight being in a good position. Those things don't happen if you place the pieces randomly.

So what? Well, the thing is, the chess player recognize the patterns that appeared while you were playing, and he uses those patterns, those blocks of pieces, to re-create the board. People think in blocks of things.

Reordering is mostly done so that you won't need to memorize a random order in the party list. Monks go on bottom, frontline on top... It's important to keep frontliners clean of conditions and hexes, so monks watch those positions closer for that. Much easier to watch position 1 and 2 than to remember to watch 4 and 7. Similarly, you might want to watch your fellow monk, all you need to do is watch the lower part of the party list... etc. Or maybe you are a midliner, you can easily see if your monks are getting hit on, so you can help them... etc.

It can save you a few fractions of a second, so it's worth it.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    Mostly infusing and the like is important.
    It's easier to get a proper overview of the situation if you know the most vulnerable targets are close on your party bar and if people that will likely be out of range are stacked together.
    THink flaggers, split teams and the like.

I'm quite used to playing with skewed party setups and such, that usually doesn't bother me since I'll be the only monk and won't carry infuse anyways, but what does **** me up though, is that people consistently refuse to call their number when spiked or in need of something specific, rather than just call me bad for not being faster.

Reordering is mainly for the monks, monks keyboards are usually set up to order certian slots and memorize them with a core team. if they ask you to re-order ... do it so u get get heals.

oops w/e i didnt read ur whole thing just skipped to the relpy... w/e
    Last edited by Soul Stealer; 20-06-2009 at 23:32.