PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Obama Nation - journalistic fellatio but not voyeurism?

And here I thought my turn of phrase might be original.

I believe I already mentioned how everyone had kittens when B00sh pre-screened his audiences or paid journos to write favorable articles. And it's pretty well understood by anyone not sucking down the Kool-aid that the media wanted Obama to win, helped him win to the best of their ability, and continues giving him the best treatment they can, all the while behaving like horny schoolgirls with a crush on one of the Jonas brothers.

That's not what I want this thread to be concentrating on.

I want to discuss the emerging problem we're seeing here with THE ONE manufacturing his own media (through the "Office of Public Engagement"?) or managing the presentation of information because he is unwilling to deal with any questioning, to say nothing of criticism:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Katherine Ham
    In Which the Man With an Infomercial on Prime-Time Network TV Complains About Press Coverage
    Spoiler
    I don't really oppose the transformation of what I guess is called the "Office of New Media" (the people that run whitehouse.gov) into an advocacy site; this Executive is all about management of the 'message', and that one-sided tendency has always been an underlying theme (even though people dismissed the previous administration's effort as sheer EBIL propaganda).

Plus, now it's not just the media which appears to not have permission to criticize - the firing of the Inspector General for the "Corporation for National and Community Service" is being desparately underreported despite it being a violation of regulations which THE ONE Himself voted for previously. The Beck segment which Mary Kate mentioned was about how the Executive is building a wall between the money (ACORN/Kennedy/OPE) and the taxpayer's ability to scrutinize.

So if the Executive is going to be managing the message, squelching internal scrutiny, and the media can't wait to coat His manhood with yet another layer of spittle, then who is going to provide any scrutiny? It isn't like Fox has a great reputation for investigative journalism.

EDIT - This was new: ABC is refusing to air contrary ads during the segment as well.
    Last edited by jmervyn; 18-06-2009 at 13:32.

Gee, so everyone here screamed bloody murder when B00sh tried to manipulate the media, but Obama basically gets a free pass?

Oh, wait, sorry... forgot who I was dealing with.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Sometimes, j, you need to summarize your stuff:

a) In basic language that people can understand without the innuendos and
    b) Without the walls of links.

Honestly, I'm not remedial; but going back and forth from your sentences to the links, and trying to trudge through your translucent hipshots at various politicians and GWO members, causes me to lose track of what exactly is the point you are trying to make.

Remember that this isn't the Dii OTF. Over there, people have some kind of ESP; here, we don't.
    mv

I'd love to comment but I barely read any of the domestic press, and certainly never watch any of the TV. Though I would point out that on the list of issues people had with the previous president, trying to manipulate the press was probably toward the bottom...

I would have commented something, but your attitude towards Obama is so derogatory (not to mention playing on an attitude that is held by a very small minority), most people probably feel there's no point even starting trying to discuss any issues raised.

And you really do seem to be one of those that "he made the promise, we're less than 6 months in and yet to see anything; He's a failure kick him in".

Seriously, it was commented on before the election: Which poor soul took over from Bush, was going to find it very hard to please even half the people.

He's being watched very closely by the international community. Every time he gets to work on one problem, another jumps up. This president is hardly getting a break, the media attention on both sides hardly helps matters.

Give the man breathing room.
    Last edited by SibbTigre; 19-06-2009 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post

a) In basic language that people can understand without the innuendos and
    b) Without the walls of links.

Honestly, I'm not remedial; but going back and forth from your sentences to the links, and trying to trudge through your translucent hipshots at various politicians and GWO members, causes me to lose track of what exactly is the point you are trying to make.

Remember that this isn't the Dii OTF. Over there, people have some kind of ESP; here, we don't.
    At the risk of repeating an intarweb clichè:

This.

At any rate, for once I actually read the entire post and the links; something I rarely do. (Usually I skim the OP then enjoy the banter that follows!) I have my thoughts on the media's pandering towards Obama but I don't feel like sharing them because I think they would be misinterpreted.

Moderator Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SibbTigre View Post
    The guy's President of the United States of America. That's a job--similar to brain surgeon, for example--that you don't get to try out and slowly get better at. Noobs aren't supposed to be President.
    mv

So its not enough he's juggling a lot of issues important to people, he has to solve it all immediately and with the media pressure breathing down his neck and the ignorant masses wanting him to get involved in Iran when his administration has already said that'd be a bad idea etc..

Give the man breathing room - to do what he's being asked to do. Its not him being a noob, its him trying to do a job with everyone trying to say "you're doing it wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    I was trying to leave it open-ended, precisely because of the accusation Sibby makes. Sneering at me is fine for the other threads, but this stuff is pretty relevant; I thought you <wanted> some discussion of how surreal some of these issues are becoming? If two years ago we had seen the White House conducting infomercials, rather than just contracting favorable essays, the screams would have reached the heavens. And the firing of the Attorneys was small potatoes in comparison to what's happened three times already.

If you want a summation of my opinion, here it is: The current White House has gone far beyond just trying to influence the media, and is not just managing public perception directly, but is having it run interference for potential gross violations of Gov't policy. Violations which the Executive is deliberately preventing scrutiny in regard to.
    I would have commented something, but your attitude towards Obama is so derogatory (not to mention playing on an attitude that is held by a very small minority), most people probably feel there's no point even starting trying to discuss any issues raised.
    The attitude is quite widespread; as polls indicate, the attitude (and mine) is not a personalized issue as the left had towards Bush. People aren't against him on racial grounds as Garofolo and Olbermann claim, nor are they out to get him because of his religion (which he wears on his sleeve in a far more pointed way than Bush ever did). However, I probably shouldn't name Obama as frequently since this does personalize the problems; I'll try to use "The Executive" more often.
    And you really do seem to be one of those that "he made the promise, we're less than 6 months in and yet to see anything; He's a failure kick him in".
    This has nothing to do with his failure, and everything to do with his success. I, like Rush and others, don't want him to succeed in the efforts which seem intended to bypass what the Constitution allows for, and in particular the bypass of public scrutiny. Now, one could argue that Inspectors General aren't part of the Constitution either - but no matter how you slice it, firing Inspectors General in the course of sensitive investigations simply reeks of transparency.
    Seriously, it was commented on before the election: Which poor soul took over from Bush, was going to find it very hard to please even half the people.
    Which gave rise to the tin-hat claims that the GOP was willing to throw the election, sure. But this is about the use of the media, or perhaps more importantly the betrayal of the media's claim to legitimacy abetted by the Executive Branch.
    This president is hardly getting a break, the media attention on both sides hardly helps matters.

Like that given to Bush? As I'm citing, Obama's neck isn't the portion of his anatomy which is subject to the media's heavy breathing... Or have you forgotten the whole 'stolen election' song & dance? There was certainly no media scrutiny on <him>, was there? [/sarcasm]

Moderator Achievements:
    Hey, I'm not going to get into an argument about Obama; I'm just trying to point out that the president doesn't get breathing room. He wanted the job, and millions of people are depending on him to do it right. And the whole planet is watching him.

Every single president of the U.S. has been subject to public scrutiny. This one should be no different.

Edit: The above directed at Sibb.

By the way, here's a bit more on the Gerald Walpin firing:
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...-48030697.html

This is exactly the kind of thing Obama has to stop doing--taking action into his own hands just because he's deluded himself into thinking the word 'President' is a synonym for the word 'Dictator'. Instead of quietly submitting to his termination like the Dems expected he would do, Walpin chose to fight back and make the matter public. Let's see if the Dems can keep this squelched.
    mv