PC Gaming News

Handheld console

I'm thinking about buying a handheld. Obviously this means I have to choose between a PSP and a DS, my problem is I don't know which one I want .

I'd like to hear your opinions, and what you think are the pros and cons of each...

Oh also, if I want a PSP, do you think I should get a Slim and Lite, or wait for one of the 2 new ones coming out in october (PSP Go and the PSP-3000)?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    I don't use it all the time, but I'm pretty fond of my DS. A flash cart will let you pay Homebrew games, too, which can be fun. The new DSi has access to downloadable games, though many of them are shovelware. (similar to WiiWare)

The PSP doesn't look too bad, depending on what you want to play, but I'm more of a one system kind of guy.
    Last edited by Zalis; 23-06-2009 at 15:41.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    I like my DS Lite.
    (Besides, how ripoff is PSP Slim and Lite from that name?)

The touchscreen control is fun and intuitive, and there's many good games to choose from. From what I've observed, PSP is a bit lacking in this part.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Well, I can't really say between PSP and DS since I've only owned a PSP. I'd say it all comes down to the games. I was pretty sure my PSP was a waste of money for three years, then Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core came out and I quickly changed my tune. Look at what games are available for each. Also, ask your friends and colleagues what systems they have or might get because that would open up multiplayer options on either system.

But if you go PSP, I'd say get the PSP-3000. I don't think I could deal with that smaller one. Or, better suggestion, this.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    The PSP-3000's been out a while now, I have one myself last I checked.

It pretty much boils down to PSP for the stuff gamers have been used to on home systems for the for the past decade, and DS for something... different. And that's boiling things down to its simplest. The PSP does have a few oddball titles in its roster, and there are some DS games that without the stylus gimmicks written into them, don't generally go very far out of the "been there" box.

There's some good titles on both systems, and unfortunately an abundance of crud on both too. It might help us if we knew what kind of games you're into?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    The PSP-3000's been out a while now, I have one myself last I checked.

It pretty much boils down to PSP for the stuff gamers have been used to on home systems for the for the past decade, and DS for something... different. And that's boiling things down to its simplest. The PSP does have a few oddball titles in its roster, and there are some DS games that without the stylus gimmicks written into them, don't generally go very far out of the "been there" box.

There's some good titles on both systems, and unfortunately an abundance of crud on both too. It might help us if we knew what kind of games you're into?
    Well, I like racing games and shooters, mainly. Sports games I enjoy as well, and RPGs ofcourse .

Also I lol'd at this:

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
    Well, I like racing games and shooters, mainly. Sports games I enjoy as well, and RPGs ofcourse
    There's a few good racers on both systems, I reckon. On the PSP, Midnight Club: LA's pretty good, despite the brain-draining load times, and I found the first Ridge Racer to be pretty fun when I tried the demo. Mario Kart DS is a blast, especially if you can find a player online that doesn't ragequit after the first corner.

I've just picked up MACH on the PSP today as well, which is an interesting one. I've not yet played it, but it does look like it's taken a few leaves out of N-Gen Racing's book (Racing with jet fighters). I'll let you know how that plays when I get chance to play it.

Shooters, well, if you're talking FPSs, there's nothing really too great on the DS other than Metroid Prime Hunters, sadly. In the PSP corner, I can't say for certain. Coded Arms got slammed by the press last I checked, and the majority of my shooting has been in the GTA Stories games, which are pretty fun.

Also I lol'd at this:
    It's the Game Girl all over again...

Well, I like racing games and shooters, mainly. Sports games I enjoy as well, and RPGs ofcourse .
    Well I only have a PSP so I can't compare, but the RPG library is pretty big, with series like Final Fantasy, Tales, Disgaea and Star Ocean present, as well as lots of "smaller" ones.

Another racing game worth mentioning is Burnout (Dominator/Legends) which I find very entertaining.
    Regarding sports, you have the usual ones like FIFA, NBA, Madden NFL, Major League Baseball etc. I don't play sports though so I wouldn't know the quality.

I never really look at the hardware, I only choose based on the games (got PSP for the RPGs). So my advice would be to choose based on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Portable_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games

Kinda makes my whole post useless, but whatever.

(Also, if you're a pirate PSP is very easy...)

PSP has Monster Hunter.
    DS has Scribblenauts.

I can't say which, honestly.

I've been playing a DS for ages and am about to buy a PSP. If you're into racing games and FPS'es, I'd recommend the PSP. Personally I don't see a compelling reason to get either the 3000 or the Go, whe you can get a functional 1000 or 2000 model for a third of the price (if not less; the one I'm buying is 50eu).

Really after looking over both their libraries, I don't think you'll regret buying either. One thing which should be noted is that there are more DSes than PSPs; multiplayer gaming is easier with DSes, as is finding second hand game copies. Pirating is pretty easy with both.
    Remember though that the DS has backwards compatibality which is sweet if you didn't upgrade your handheld since the original gameboy.