PC Gaming News

Made up GvG build help

***Here is a GvG build I've given my guild, as a draft to possibly running. Plz note that we are not highly rated, as this guild is for testing builds and new players, so we don't see many quality teams. We've faced teams with a variety of rank, but most have low rating. So maybe we could place my GvG build into context, meaning, it may not be perfect, but against the average guild, is it manageable? I'm basically asking that you take the time, look at the build, what will work, what won't work, counters, split tactics, ets.. I really just wanna get out of the meta, and maybe play some new classes in GvG. So plz, anyone wanna help me refine this build that would be great.

Here is a build I thought up, taking us a little bit out of the meta-game, upping our defense (long game), and hopefully, lowering our overall team pressure; while still being able to kill, and handle splits.

Here's the build. **Please note, these are tentative, can have various changes, but this seems like it will work.

Player 1: Warrior/Elementalist:

Basics: This is the caller. Can continue on one target, then call, and spike another without ever hinting towards where the spike is going (helping elude pre-protting.) Good damage, and shock could be taken out for Bull Strike or something of the like.

On spike: Just run train, RTL>>Dis>>Agoniz>>BB. Shock as needed

- Ride the Lightning {E}
    - Dismember
    - Agonizing Chop
    - Body Blow
    - Shock
    - Frenzy
    - Rush
    - Resurrection Signet

Player 2: Dervish/Paragon:

Basics: Spamming blind on everything that uses melee. Most teams are taking 2 ranger, and sometimes 2 wars, this blind spam hurts them all. Spreads bleed and crip on possible spike target [CALL when crip on on something, thats who we probably spike] Disrupting Throw could be interchanged. Imbue Health for healing on splits.

Spike: On spike, just hit with Spear of Lightning right on '1'.

- Spear of Lightning
    - Disrupting Throw
    - Barbed Spear
    - Maiming Spear
    - Imbue Health
    - Heart of Fury
    - Ebon Dust Aura {E}
    - Resurrection Signet

Player 3: Ranger/Ritualist

Basic: BA Ranger, can be used on split. Has Hard rez. Use rupts for countering spell casters, mainly eles and stopping Diversion and Shame. Spread poison is clutch, and always be ready to tear off for a split, offensive or defensive.

Spike: On spike, hit with PBS, then Burning Arrow. The offensive team should be centrally located, and just before the spike, move in range of the target, then back to midline. With blind being spammed, you are fairly safe.
    - Burning Arrow {E}
    - Point Blank Shot
    - Savage Shot
    - Distracting Shot
    - Apply Poison
    - Lightning Reflexes
    - Natural Stride
    - Death Pact Signet (PvP)

Player 4: Necromancer/Elementalist
    Basic: This is us bring necros back. I've noticed that we havn't seen many (if an) necros in all of our GvG's. Necros are obviously defensive, but a ****ing threat no less. With this necro, it is all about constant pressure. Our offensive spike is pretty tough, but not as high as most, so we gotta keep condit pressure. Along wit hexes, we should slowly degen teams, forcing them to wipe or split, and on an Isle like Imperial that is where we destroy them. Necro is a possible on the split, if they were to rend enchants an ele, they would be basically useless in little time.

Spike: Soul Bind should be on random targets, but ever so often, try to cover SB on a 3 count. This is really just upping pressure.
    - Soul Bind {E}
    - Faintheartedness
    - Plague Sending
    - Foul Feast
    - Defile Defenses
    - Rend Enchantments
    - Glyph of Lesser Energy
    - Resurrection Signet

Player 5: Elementalist/Ritualist
    Basic: Obviously the MoI build, this is a wild card class for this build. I figured, either this, for the split potential and offensive power, or a VoR, and go even more defense. But, when taken into account the need for snares, the MoI looked better. And, with our defenss already, another defensive character looks out of place. (Btw, this char will probably be 4. and the Necro 5.) This class is another wild on dedicated splits, this gives our caller flexability about what to send in the event, thus giving us more flexability. USAGE OF BLURRED VISION: This is important, if the warrios are running in unison, blurr one of the warriors and stack it with Winters Embrace. If they are just build adren, stack it on the ranger that is most out of position.

Spike: Shard Storm>>Freezing Gust
    - Shard Storm
    - Freezing Gust
    - Winter's Embrace
    - Blurred Vision
    - Glowing Ice
    - Mirror of Ice {E}
    - Water Attunement
    - Flesh of My Flesh (PvP)

Player 6: Monk/Warrior
    Basic: PnH Monk, I chose this over RC monk because with the Necro, we should have conditions under control, we need hex removal for snares so our team is mobile and flexable. Deny hexes is pro, and balance stance because you can't Aura of Stability yourself.

Defensive Spike: Obviously Guardian is situational, because their team should be blind most of the time. This aspect will rely on entire team communication. SB is a must, because our biggest enemy will be a dual ele team, mainly the MB ele.
    - Spirit Bond
    - Reversal of Fortune
    - Mend Condition
    - Guardian
    - Peace and Harmony {E}
    - Aura of Stability
    - Deny Hexes
    - Balanced Stance

Player 7: Monk/Warrior
    Basic: You are the infuse monk, stop spikes, it shouldn't be too hard, this build is designed to keep pressure off of us, and for us to ease out of different states of the game. We want these match to go at our pace, so if we start taking pressure, we should back off right away. Draw Condits is questionable, because of our overkill on condits, but whatev, we'll figure it out.

Defensive Spike: INFOOOOOOSE
    - Infuse Health
    - Patient Spirit
    - Word of Healing {E}
    - Signet of Rejuvenation
    - Guardian
    - Draw Conditions
    - Cure Hex
    - Disciplined Stance

Player 8: Ritualist/Elementalist
    Basic: This is as basic as it gets. Resilient Weapon could be changed, becaus again, we should have no conditions our our team.
    - Icy Shackles {E}
    - Weapon of Warding
    - Resilient Weapon
    - Soothing Memories
    - Protective Was Kaolai
    - Recuperation
    - Armor of Mist
    - Glyph of Lesser Energy

So, basically, we see a very defensive build, inspired by a lack of defense I see in builds. This build should keep pressure off of us, allowing us to dictate the pace of the game. With poison, frequent spikes, and condition control, we should slowly force our team back. We hope for a good kill, then snaring a target while they kite to footies. We have to play cautiously and efficient.

This build is subject to change, I made it in a hurry. But honestly, i think it looks like a fun build, and I see no reason to have a little fun. Bringing a derv to GvG is fun alone, AND a necro, teams won't know wtf is going on.

A counter we'll have to check, is a dual ele team. But, the ranger should be able to handle one. Then we just rend the MB ele, and put him out of commision soon. A bad mesmer could be ****ty, but, again, our ranger has to know how to handle the nasty things, like diversion.

Also, bspike, ya... we'll probably get stomped, but I guess we just 8v8 them and hope they're bad. But para spike will be subject to blind so **** YOU PARASPIKE. Goes for ranger spikes too. Anyways, go RA with a few of these builds so you can run what we'll need to be ran. The derv is fun. Peace

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    The problem lies in you not being able to force that pace in the game, even if keeping pressure away.
    That means you'll eventually get outpressured.

I don't see a spike really killing much like this.
    You have what, 3-400 damage including deepwound for spike damage, and it won't be highly compressed damage.

The pressure will be nonexistant since poison spread and 3 hexes won't be enough.
    With little to no pressure from neither spikes nor overloads, blinds from the dervish will be readily removed when applied.

You're trying to do too many different things.
    What you could do is to just run a meta ranger/para spike, but with defensive utility elites on the paragons instead of offensive ones.

It holds up very well against pressure due to many hex removals and teamwide buffs, and still packs quite a punch for spikes.

You can't ever do both spikes and pressure.
    Pressure however will always end up with minor spikes finishing things off, you just can't mix them up this much as it gets terribly inefficient.

A good team shouldn't have problems dealing with your hexes or conditions which seems to be most of your pressure. And your spike isn't big domage either. I actually doubt your spike skills together could kill a 600Health target lat alone if they get a heal/prot in.

For the rest, if you just wanna have fun, gyg. I'd advise BSpike, paraspike or just some adapted form of balanced over this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Kedde View Post
    The problem lies in you not being able to force that pace in the game, even if keeping pressure away.
    That means you'll eventually get outpressured.

I don't see a spike really killing much like this.
    You have what, 3-400 damage including deepwound for spike damage, and it won't be highly compressed damage.

The pressure will be nonexistant since poison spread and 3 hexes won't be enough.
    With little to no pressure from neither spikes nor overloads, blinds from the dervish will be readily removed when applied.

You're trying to do too many different things.
    What you could do is to just run a meta ranger/para spike, but with defensive utility elites on the paragons instead of offensive ones.

It holds up very well against pressure due to many hex removals and teamwide buffs, and still packs quite a punch for spikes.

You can't ever do both spikes and pressure.
    Pressure however will always end up with minor spikes finishing things off, you just can't mix them up this much as it gets terribly inefficient.
    Thanks for the insight, and I understand what you are saying. Although I think most of the teams we face would run out of energy keeping blind off (blind causes the warriors to yell at the monks, the monks are pressured, they run out of e... blah blah we get it)
    I must ask then, do you have any recommendations on how to effectively bring a Derv and Necro into GvG (or any other odd classes... an assassin? Oh god no)? My initial conclusion was to bring the Derv as more as a midliner, but maybe a frontlining (traditional) derv could bring more damage? Also, I tried to bring a Necro that didn't have 'Cultist Favor' (The elite I see most Necros bringing), but is CF the only useful elite for necros in GvG right now? I'm really trying to stay outside of the meta.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered
    The only way I can tell you could somewhat effectively use both necros and a dervish is some sort of heavy hexover.

Like, a WS dervish to pump DW's for pressure with a couple mesmers, a necro and possibly a ranger to spread more conditions.

You will be vulnerable on splits though, so it forces the use of a proper 8v8 friendly guildhall.