PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points

I just don't know?

I get this randomly while visiting threads here.

It only happens here on this site, and I've done a complete sweep of my system. As you can see it replaces the whole page. And whats worse is if you let it go, it keeps trying to trick you into installing something.

I dunno if it is tied to an ad, or if there is something on my system that got missed. But like I said it only happened 3 times so far, and each time I was thread jumping here.
    Last edited by Demonia; 06-01-2010 at 10:03.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    It's a piece of malware that hides in adverts you are right.

I see you are using Internet Explorer there, have you considered using Google Chrome or Firefox? They don't generate pages like this.

Plus you might want to take out that image - your IP address is showing which you don't want just anyone to know

-Art

Thank you. Didn't realize that my info was on there. I just rushed to post about it.

Firefox - I do have it, and some sites I go to require I use it. But for some reason the more I use it the more it bogs down. Thats with out any add-ons. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure how to add them.

Google Chrome - I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Mainly about it being a resource hog, and not very user friendly. But seeing as how Firefox is acting for me exactly the opposite of what it was all hyped to be. Maybe Chrome is the exact opposite of the rumors I've been hearing.

Sorry for the rambling.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonia View Post
    Thank you. Didn't realize that my info was on there. I just rushed to post about it.

Firefox - I do have it, and some sites I go to require I use it. But for some reason the more I use it the more it bogs down. Thats with out any add-ons. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure how to add them.

Google Chrome - I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Mainly about it being a resource hog, and not very user friendly. But seeing as how Firefox is acting for me exactly the opposite of what it was all hyped to be. Maybe Chrome is the exact opposite of the rumors I've been hearing.

Sorry for the rambling.
    I really don't ever have any issues with Chrome. The only bashing I've heard about Chrome is from the Firefox fanboys that just love their add-ons complaining about Chrome not having add-ons. I also hear stuff from the Google haters. Just be wary that if you tend not to leave the browser open while doing other stuff, it tends to get really slow when you go to use it again. That happens to me when I'm using it, then go play Guild Wars for a few hours (without closing the browser), then when I'm done, go back to browsing.

You could even try Opera as well. I've never had any problems with it. I'd definitely give this one a shot.

I'm not really sure what all the hype about Firefox is anyway. I've never found it to be that great. Every time I've ever used it, it's been a resource hog...I don't even get any add-ons other than firebug. So at least I'm not alone in that sentiment. Why a site would REQUIRE Firefox is beyond me. So much for web standards (yeah, I know IE threw those out the window a long time ago ).

I know I always have all 5 of the major browsers installed anyway, even though I never use 3 of them (IE, Safari, Firefox). Maybe that's from me being a developer though.
    Last edited by bearsfwd; 06-01-2010 at 13:06.

I got that when I visited on a machine running IE. Woot for scareware.

I've also had it pop up in firefox sometimes, which is hilarious especially when I am browsing from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    Why a site would REQUIRE Firefox is beyond me.

I have a few sites that I go to where I can watch old shows, and soaps from when I was little. The web-site itself doesn't require it, just the embedded video player. If I try to browse the videos with IE instead of videos I get little warning boxes that say that the video requires firefox to play. Come to think of it it might be a limitation set by the site.

Any way back on topic. This is from an ad. So it's not my system. Anyway to get ride of it. As it is rather annoying.

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Any way back on topic. This is from an ad. So it's not my system. Anyway to get ride of it. As it is rather annoying.
    You could run a program called Ad-Aware. It will check your system for most of, if not all spyware on your computer. I don't remember the URL for it though. Look for it on Google. A normal virus scanner might even do the trick.

As far as the ad though, it appears that it opened itself in a new tab, so any of the browsers mentioned would most likely prevent it from opening. Now, I don't know if the ad would try to load in the page you are currently viewing if it can't open a new tab, though.

But it would definitely be a good idea to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    As far as the ad though, it appears that it opened itself in a new tab, so any of the browsers mentioned would most likely prevent it from opening. Now, I don't know if the ad would try to load in the page you are currently viewing if it can't open a new tab, though.
    I'm sorry I didn't choose my words right when describing the problem. I opened up this forum into a new tab, and with in checking a few posts the page just switched to what I posted in the screenie.

I use norton antivirus 2005(kinda dated I know), windows firewall, and spybot. I don't like ad-aware it has missed to many things for me in the past.

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm sorry I didn't choose my words right when describing the problem. I opened up this forum into a new tab, and with in checking a few posts the page just switched to what I posted in the screenie.

I use norton antivirus 2005(kinda dated I know), windows firewall, and spybot. I don't like ad-aware it has missed to many things for me in the past.
    I don't know if there is an adware/spyware removal program that gets 100% of it. I've heard recommendation before to run multiple programs. At one point, I would run Ad-aware and then Spybot. As long as you are keeping them up to date, they should get most of the junk.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Google Chrome has given me no problems, and is far less of a resource hog than Firefox.

I'd also recommend Avast! over Norton, which in the past has given me nothing but woe.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728