Thread: Newbies Unite!

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]

Cool Newbies Unite!

We already have the "Character Progress Thread" so you may think what is the point of this thread. Wonder no longer, because I am about to tell you!

This is a place for the GW "newbies" in Dii (alliance and forum newbies are also welcome!) to come together, ask for pointers, match up for quests and missions, share stories etc. Basically a place to start out your GW experience without being cramped by people posting their latest Hall of Monuments update.
    Note that this is not meant to be a place to ask for (or offer) runs through the game. This is for people wanting to play through the game normally, but who may want a little guidance and companionship along the way.

Here are some general pointers to start you off:
    The official Guildwars Wiki can be accessed by pressing F10 in game (careful with spoilers).
    A Casual Player's Guide to Making Money - First post
    ID White items
    Collector Items and Weapons

There are dedicated traders for: dye, rare and common materials, runes and insignia and scrolls. There are no traders for inscriptions or weapon mods.
    Always check the trader prices before salvaging runes, selling stuff to merchants or trading with players. Especially important for dyes, since they can sell for several thousand (black dye) to traders whereas the merchant only gives 1 measly gold.

And beyond all, don't be shy (we don't bite, unless you are hiding bacon ) and have fun!

I may add other helpful things to this post in the future, if anyone has a suggestions please share.

Guild charter (need private forum access to.. access)
    Alliance charter and ettiquette
    The Order Of Dii's Wiki page

[EDIT]Looking for something else, I just saw this guy's channel on Youtube. Apparently he is quite famous, I just never saw any of his videos before. He has a lot of GW guides up, including a guide to beginners, how to rune your armor, how to make a build and other stuff. Kinda neat.
    Last edited by Lensor; 18-07-2011 at 15:17. Reason: fixed broken links

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Does it mean I can't post here?

Ah, just kidding!

Here's a quick advice. Have fun, and experiment. Aside from Survivor or leaving Pre-Sear, there's not much that can't be undone later. Trying new things is a great way to learn the game. This also includes experimenting with your build, and your hero's build.

And when experimenting, go all out. It makes it easier to see the effect. For example, I recently made a mesmer hero bar with nothing but interrupts. It's made a few areas a lot easier than before... especially caster-heavy areas.

How did I know it was going to work? A lot of trial and error.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I do think that new people who think they might be interested in titles should know about the survivor title. I personally wish I would have know about it before I got this far with my character.

It is probably not a title to go after your first time through, but before you get too far along with one character or a “main” character you should look into it if you think you might want to be a title hunter.

If I could do it again I would have beaten the game once. Then started another character to be a title hunter, and gone after survivor. Since it is easier to get early on.

Just one of may things I wish I would have understood when I stared playing.
    Last edited by Revonoc; 14-01-2010 at 01:25.

And beyond all, don't be shy (we don't bite, unless you are hiding bacon ) and have fun!
    I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.
    This is a good ides. Especially since I'm probably the noobie here.

BTW, just ordered EotN from Amazon and will be getting that soon. When I do I will definitely post here looking for people who know the expansion.

I have a question for you more experienced players regarding heroes or should I say hero overload. :-)

Duchtess Emmes and I beat Prophecies last year (many thanks to those who helped in the last few missions) and have moved on to Nightfall. I received EotN for Christmas and have been playing that on the side as well. My only issue is that between the two I now have way more heroes than I know what to do with. (And since I only have one character, an elementalist, I don't have nearly enough skills, weapons, etc for all of them.)

So my question is, what do you do with all of your heroes, especially when you have multiple heroes of the same class? Do you just pick a few favorites and put your effort into those, or do you take a different approach?

So far I've put most of my effort (acquiring elite skills, buying/finding runes, etc) into Dunk, Magrid, and Olias. I've gotten some of my ideas from builds on PvX, and other ideas from trial and error. If you have some favorite heroes for PvE, who are they and what builds do you find work best?

And another follow up question: What have you found to be the best way to get new skills for your heroes? Playing through the game with multiple characters? Buying them from the hero trainers or regular skill trainers?
    Last edited by vespal; 14-01-2010 at 04:50. Reason: Follow-up question

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Heroes... they can be great, but they can also cost a ton. So my advice is... don't spend on them unless you have to.

I'd give them bonus weapons (if you have them) or whatever decent drop and runes you get. Don't bother buying them. In fact, I don't even put runes on my heroes anymore. Runing them makes them slightly better.

Some people have different heroes setup as different roles... like Olias as curses, MoW as minionmancer, and Livia as ... well... you get the idea. Or sometimes they use several heroes of one profession, like triple necros (sabway or the other one), or triple searing flames eles... Pick something you like, and get the skills for it. No need to have all heroes (or even heroes of all professions). I personally rarely ever use warriors or derv heroes. And I've only recently started taking mesmer heroes.

It's really up to your taste though, which heroes you take.

---------

My favorites:

MM necro or rit. What minion skills you use is not that important, as long as he can produce minions. Jagged bones is good, but so is Aura of the Lich. Rit heroes with boon of creation also make good MM's.

Spirit-making rit. I usually bring a hero with commune when I play my channel rit. Or you can make a channel/commune rit. The only important skill is boon of creation. Signet of spirits or wanderlust as elite.

Caster-hate mesmer. This one runs only 1/4-cast interrupts. Why? Because it's totally fun seeing how he abuses, and completely ruins casters on the opposite team. Mesmer interrupts work well on just about any caster, so you can take a /Me instead. You probably don't need 8 interrupts, so feel free to experiment with other skills.

Broad Head Arrow ranger. This one also carries interrupts, but the rest is up to you. You could bring a pet, or apply poison, or even frozen soil when you need it. Usually I bring this one or the mesmer (not both), but you can bring both in caster-heavy areas that don't have good healing.

Some elementalist. Although many people prefer the necro with curses to deal damage & some shutdown, I tend to take the elementalist in that function. I don't have a good reason why, except that I know elementalist skills better than necro curses. Either way, bring mainly skills to do damage, and a few skills to weaken your opponent.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Ah, heroes. I have them all, but most of them never get to see the outside world. I am really boring and mostly just bring my three trusted necros.

I never buy my heroes anything, they have to cope with whatever drops and bonus weapons. Only exception is that I bought my minion master hero a superior death rune and a bloodstained insignia.

The most important part for heroes is really access to skills. Luckily, a lot of them can be gotten for free. Make sure to use "hero skill points" (gotten whenever you gain a level in Sunspear, Lightbringer or EoTN allegiance titles) to buy as many skills as possible. Also don't skip skill quests in Prophesies. Also, before choosing a secondary profession, make sure to visit ALL of the trainers, since each one will give a couple of skills for free.

I have stolen most if not all of my builds. I am just too lazy to go around thinking up builds for my heroes. Whenever I play in pick-up-groups and someone who seems like they know what they are doing is pinging a hero build I will save it to my templates for later use. Cheesy, but a very effective way to get some working builds.

I guess I'm an odd mixture. If I'm feeling lazy (which has happened of late while doing vanquish) I just do the 3-necro party called Discordway. All of my necros are runed on my monk (don't think they are runed on other chars). I farmed the Woe Spreader on my assassin and just gave it to a good deal of my necro heroes on my different characters. If people need a few Woe Spreaders I can try to go farm some more - people don't seem to farm them a ton at the moment so the drop rate is not horrible.

When I was still going through the missions on my monk both in normal and in hard mode I did tend to mix up what heroes I brought (if I didn't manage to talk human people into coming with me). And, like Alaris said, I have some that were my favorites and they are fairly similar to what he posted. I have to say my favorite was really the mesmer. I think the weapons I gave her were just her default for a while honestly....I may have given her random items that have dropped since then because I don't have a mesmer. The Broad Head Arrow ranger is especially nice for it's interrupting abilities in Hard Mode as well (just make sure she's not attempting to shoot objects through a wall....heroes can be dumb sometimes). Annnnd I also used to use Koss a lot just so that enemies would hit on him and not on me. I replaced him with Ebon Assassin Support when I unlocked that on my monk - it's really just so the initial agro goes on something other than my wee monk ;D

Of course, some of the missions require a certain hero and that was a pain for me at times because I did not have the skills for it at the time. For those I often attempted to try to find a human partner or two that had a better equipped hero than me. I have since unlocked all the skills by doing a lot more PvP so it doesn't come up a ton anymore. Before doing a lot of pvp I unlocked skills by playing a character of that profession or capping elite skills on my title hunter. :)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Remember, unlocks work per account. So if you unlock a skill on any character (even PvP), you can use it on any hero or PvP char you have.

Don't sweat the builds too much. Most of normal-mode is quite feasible with ok builds, you don't need the hero builds that good players use just yet. You can make your own builds or use what you have, and still complete masters in most missions. You performance will be more determined by whether or not you over-aggro, and whether you do have some skills in the lot that perform the functions you need.

The basic functions are healing, damage, interrupt, shutdown, and summons. If your team has a bit of all 5, normal mode should be relatively easy. I usually have roughly 1 summons, 2 healers, 0.4 interrupts, 0.6 shutdown, and the rest damage.

Skill hunter is a good way to get elites.

For regular skills, don't be afraid to mix & match 2 professions to complement the skills, provided you don't go over 3 attributes in doing so. So you might for example get the equipment and skills for a warrior, then use warriors skills on your paragon when you need to take him (or vice-versa). This is especially true if you don't use runes.

Paragon and Warrior synergise well, except that warriors can't shout for long. Warriors can chuck spears, paragons can use axes and swords and hammers.

Necro and rit synergize well. Get boon of creation on rit if you go MM or spirit spam. Necro can run a restoration build and thus act as a healer. Ranger can run spirit spam.

Dervish and sin and ranger synergize well.

Any caster can run mesmer interrupts (those 1/4 sec cast spells). I often bring a few interrupts on a E/Me.

Mesmer and ele synergize decently. Mesmer can fast-cast ele spikes but has to be more careful with energy. Ele can cast mesmer spells a plenty, but has to pick ones that don't take too long to cast.

Anybody can use a hard rez for near-wipe recovery. Other than that, most monk spells are best used by a monk.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Wow, thanks for the thorough answers as well as tips and ideas. Very helpful!

I'm going to take the advice and not stress about getting heroes perfect builds while I'm doing normal mode. Still have a ways to go: only completed the Vanguard umbrella of EotN, need few more quests/missions in Nightfall, and then all of Factions. (Though I did try HM once in Proph...and immediately wiped, lol.)

Thanks again all!