PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

Lunatic Court [MAD]

The Wilds outpost oddity

I noticed this while farming webs for Nick. I can't find where anyone else has pointed this out, so hopefully I'm not picking out old news.

The Wilds is a Mantle outpost, right? Witness Giselle is there to tell you about the mission and even in her initial dialogue to you she asks you aren't hunting Shining Blade.

Here's the oddity: While there's nothing on Sihor's, the merchant, clothes or body to indicate that he is Shining Blade, both the tent and the banner in his corner bear the Shining Blade insignia. I can post pictures if you like.

Any ideas what those are doing there? Seems odd to have a loyal Mantle of some small standing, and spitting venom about the Shining Blade, would tolerate those insignias being in the outpost.

Hm. Interesting.

It seems to me that the Shining Blade are a resourceful lot. I wouldn't doubt they were successful in matters of infiltration. Though it may be nothing - I do find it interesting that it's Witness Giselle herself that sends you out to protect the supposed "caravan", even though :

- Only the most zealous of White Mantle would have been trusted with such a task.
    - She clearly knows that the player has taken the test of the Eye of Janthir, as seen by the dialogue.
    - She likewise knows the player is an Ascalonian.

Because of these things, and if she were a true White Mantle follower, it would make sense for her to simply confuse the player to cover the whole sacrificial operation up. Maybe she isn't as zealous as the title suggests.

Your suspicions could be onto something there, Larqh.

I have two opinions to bring up:

For Larqh, I always took it as the White Mantle overtaking an abandoned camp.

For Hinbane, it could be that, basedon Hablion's dialogue ("So you are alive."), that the White Mantle were intending to have the Ascalonians either killed off, or killing off the Shining Blade and being none the wiser. Based on Markis' dialogue at the end of the missions ("I don't trust them, Evennia. They're Mantle plain and simple. [...] What are you saying? That you mean to let them go? [...] This is a mistake, Evennia."), I'd say it is the former - but Evennia overruled Markis, who would of made sure they died (why else would he be the only one to voice concerns about White Mantle?).

Achievements:
    Guild

Lunatic Court [MAD]
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    I have two opinions to bring up:

For Larqh, I always took it as the White Mantle overtaking an abandoned camp.
    But why keep the banner with the insignia up? When you consider the White Mantle plaster their banner all over the place, you'd think that the Shining Blade banner would be quickly replaced. Or at the very least, lying trampled on the ground.

Maybe just an oversight of the designers. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Larqh View Post
    But why keep the banner with the insignia up? When you consider the White Mantle plaster their banner all over the place, you'd think that the Shining Blade banner would be quickly replaced. Or at the very least, lying trampled on the ground.

Maybe just an oversight of the designers. *shrug*
    One thing could be not enough time, another thing could be not caring, and the third (which ties with the second) possibility would be that they don't intend to stay there long, nor do they care to take the time to get rid of the tents - just use the supplies (perhaps take them along).

Achievements:
    Guild

Lunatic Court [MAD]
    I just always got the feeling that the White Mantle were so zealous that they'd put their mark on anything that stood still long enough. But it may be as you said, they were in too much of a rush to get the Chosen back so they didn't care.

Ah, well. Was just something odd I observed.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig Des Todes View Post
    (why else would he be the only one to voice concerns about White Mantle?).
    Because he himself is a White Mantle. He sees the player group as a threat to his position as an infiltrator in the Shining Blade hierachy. If he could have talked Evennia into killing us, then it would have been much easier for him to destroy the Shining Blade from within.

He nearly succeeded anyway, when his betrayal led to Evennia being captured at Sanctum Cay.

But it was in his best interest to make the player and their party look suspicious or to have them killed before they could have posed a serious threat to his own plans.

I think that was Konig's point: that the Mantle had told Markis to make sure that the Shining Blade killed our characters if we ever caught up with them, so they wouldn't turn us to their side.