PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 436
  1. #31
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    MixedVariety's Avatar
    Posts

    15,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    I enjoy a good fantasy story, but I don't enjoy cable shows that are filled with lots of nudity. (cable, specifically, because they have the tendency to do it because they can) Call me a prude or whatever, but I'm choosing not to watch. It's not like I'm paying for HBO and then complaining about their content. All I'm saying is that I was interested in the idea, but am no longer.
    I don't know how the show is with regard to nudity/sex. I will say that the books do contain some sexual interludes, but really--in my opinion--only insofar as to assist in defining the character of...well, characters.
    mv

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    I don't know how the show is with regard to nudity/sex. I will say that the books do contain some sexual interludes, but really--in my opinion--only insofar as to assist in defining the character of...well, characters.
    There are a few nude/sex scenes in the series. Not that much though, and they indeed tend to serve the purpose of deepening out characters. There's also been some gore, but I don't think it's nearly at the level of Spartacus, which I heard was "Tits, Gore and Sand, the series". More like a Deadwood level. Occasional tits and gore but it fits in.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    There are a few nude/sex scenes in the series. Not that much though, and they indeed tend to serve the purpose of deepening out characters.
    The sex is absolutely critical in developing the series, but I think you're both underplaying the perverse nature of it. Just off the top of my head, there's incest, child molestation, gang rape, prostitution- in fact, it's pretty rare that it's just two people in love.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    The sex is absolutely critical in developing the series, but I think you're both underplaying the perverse nature of it. Just off the top of my head, there's incest, child molestation, gang rape, prostitution- in fact, it's pretty rare that it's just two people in love.
    Yes, well, it's a medieval fantasy setting though. All things considered, those things were pretty standard at the time. The one guy telling his sister to shut up and marry a guy she doesn't want to and him responding he doesn't care and she could be ****ed by all 40.000 of his men and their horses wouldn't matter to him if he got what he wanted was what Lords and Kings did back in the days. A lot is mentioned, but few is actually shown. They even nicely kept their clothes on for the incest part and an HBO show without naked hookers is pretty hard to find.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    Yes, well, it's a medieval fantasy setting though. All things considered, those things were pretty standard at the time.
    Well, not exactly. Some of it was commonplace in certain areas at certain times. Renaissance Italy was all about child molestation, for example. I don't know that incest or gang rape were ever that common. My point was that Zalis, obviously concerned about the sexual nature of the show and the literature, deserves something more precise than to describe the sex as "there but just to push the story along."

    A lot is mentioned, but few is actually shown. They even nicely kept their clothes on for the incest part and an HBO show without naked hookers is pretty hard to find.
    I think the fact that showing some of it is a felony might have something to do with that. Same reason the age of the characters was bumped up a half dozen years from what they were in the books. While marrying off a 13yo was common in medieval times, as you correctly point out, we take a much dimmer view of it now.

  6. #36
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    MixedVariety's Avatar
    Posts

    15,316
    Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    The sex is absolutely critical in developing the series, but I think you're both underplaying the perverse nature of it. Just off the top of my head, there's incest, child molestation, gang rape, prostitution- in fact, it's pretty rare that it's just two people in love.
    It is exactly the perverse nature of so much of it that develops the characters.
    mv

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    It is exactly the perverse nature of so much of it that develops the characters.
    Oh, I agree. That's why I said the sex is critical to the story. But Zalis didn't seem to me to be worried about whether the sex had plot value.

  8. #38
    I've so far seen 3 episodes of it, and yes there's quite a bit of nudity and sex. But it doesn't bother me much, because it always seems to serve the story. The bloodshed is also rather tame. Yes, there were a few beheadings, and one guy getting his stomach sliced. But it's not like they are constantly spraying the camera with showers of the red stuff. I like it so far, it feels mostly like a medieval drama. I have yet to see heavy fantasy elements, apart from the fictional setting and three dragon eggs.

  9. #39
    Recently DL'ed the first four episodes. They're vying to be my evening entertainment, in direct competition with a dies natalis reception and my little pony.

  10. #40
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    MixedVariety's Avatar
    Posts

    15,316
    Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    Oh, I agree. That's why I said the sex is critical to the story. But Zalis didn't seem to me to be worried about whether the sex had plot value.
    The sex and depravity is critical to the plot. Actually witnessing it is not, as long as the idea is brought across. I hear Zalis' concerns. Or actually, see his fontly concerns.
    mv

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off